Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hughton FINALLY back from holiday

jay d

jay d n coke
Nov 16, 2014
brighton
Hoorah!

Now, I'm all for people being entitled to annual leave, but when Chris Hughton took on the job he knew full well we weren't going to be in the play-offs. So why the blinking hell did he only finish his holiday until the end of last week? The season finished over a MONTH ago, why on earth does a bloke who only joined in January need a whole month off?

Well, it's just great isn't it. What's the first thing he's done since coming back from his hols? Slap a statement out there about the importance of FFP. Well that will lift the morale around the place. Don't our club ever learn?

Liverpool, albeit a bigger club than we'll ever be, have had an absolute embarrassment of a season. Yet their season finished only a couple of weeks ago and they've already got two key signings in on a free, presumably after weeks, probably months of negotiation. Derby, almost certain to be favourites for the league, have already recruited a new manager and already made a couple of signings. That was our excuse for being late in the market last year! What have we been doing? Well, Hughton sunning himself on a beach seemingly and not showing the Iranian the stadium or training ground.

Van Gaal managed Holland in the World Cup last year and straight into the Man U job, binning off a holiday in the process. He knew he had to rebuild and needed as much time to do it as possible. We need a left back, probably 2 wingers and 2 forwards as a MINIMUM and we're now fighting the clock yet again. We need the core of the team done for the opening game, not the end of August, as proved last season with Fenelon playing the opening game where we dropped points at home to Sheffield bloody Wednesday, good grief.

Derby, Birmingham, Wolves, MK Dons, Brentford, Preston and Forest all in amongst the deals already. How many of these are we likely to be competing with these for the play-offs, if that even is our aim? A majority no doubt. But no, here we are, listening to tiresome stories in the Argus about a Finish keeper we don't even need and a winger who will no doubt join a club with a bit more ambition.

If we're pinning our hopes on O'Grady (who doesn't want to be here) and Colunga (who Hughton already turned down) then we're basically fcked already. I really, really hope we're being super busy in the transfer market behind the scenes but I just can't see it.

Where's the odds on us to go down? Hope to be proved wrong but if the next few weeks are anything like the 5 weeks since the season ended then I fear we're in for another dire season and more cancelled season tickets at the end of the year.

Save your comments about bedwetting for when we actually announce a decent signing - I hope it's in the Argus tomorrow but just can't see it.

Look , the bloke has been working for 6 months strait, and thats after coming back from a good few years holiday.
are you seriously suggesting that most people in other lines of work would not of been able to do the same. Also hel have to wait untill at least xmas b4 he gets another extended leave.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Well, it's unanimously agreed by everyone that we need to do our transfer business early. Hughton being off for a month means we've done none. It's hardly surprisingly after the last two collosal **** ups of transfer windows that I'd be nervous about this one. Surprised so many are relaxed about it, after all that's exactly how the last one started, and even then we'd signed Toko.

- "unanimously agreed" Yes. Including by Hughton who said only on Saturday ..."its always better to do your work earlier"
- "exactly how the last one started" - the last window for the Albion started almost exactly this week a year ago with a new manager being appointed. Just like the season before that. This summer has not started like 12/13 or 13/14 with a new manager in June.
- "being off for a month" - He's not been on holiday for a month. For most of the time since end of season he's been scouting, watching players and as i understand it he then went on holiday returning last week.
- "we've done none" - Who knows how much work has been done ? The club never comment on transfer business and there's a large recruitment team. Stuff leaks out (agents, ludicrous twitter accounts - kids having a laugh mostly, scoops) but speculation is mostly pointless. We could have 3 signings in the bag or we could be waiting until 6pm on August 31st again. But nobody really knows.

None of that means we're going to sign 6 signings that will guarantee us a top 2 place. We'll have to see. but honestly what are we really saying. Hughton can't go on holiday. ?? What a load of old nonsense.

PS: Andy Naylor is definitely on holiday.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Of the 3 teams that got promoted from the Championship last season I believe the only bit of business done in May was Norwich's signing of Grabban.

To my mind Hughton has timed this right. He's dealt with the retained list, set his transfer targets out and the club are now in negotiations with some of those. A lot of top players are themselves on holiday or at the various tournaments going on like under 20, under 21, Copa America or involved in the Euro Qualifiers.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
CH had his meeting with Directors and Scouts and other coaching staff identified the targets they were after about 5 weeks ago. It was then up to others to go out and make enquiries about those players and establish who would be available. and that is and has been on going.

The Manager only comes back into the equation to speak to these people once we get permission to speak to them or their agents. I wouldn't want the Manager involved in the early and financial negotiations. That's not his strengths. I want the best financial people at the club to do that.

Then when there is a real possibility of signing that player. That's when CH comes back into play to try and convince the player that he has a part to play in our push for Promotion and to let him know where he fits in to the Managers plans.

That's the way it should be done and that's the way it is being done

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I think the OP makes a good point. Last year we signed Toko at the end of May and he was integral to our season.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
Really do not think it is that easy to go out and get players this time of the year. We want quality players as do other clubs, players and agents want the best deal and half of the problem is that agents will want a number of clubs putting offers in for their players. Players are not going to rush into deals

el punal

Hoorah!

Now, I'm all for people being entitled to annual leave, but when Chris Hughton took on the job he knew full well we weren't going to be in the play-offs. So why the blinking hell did he only finish his holiday until the end of last week? The season finished over a MONTH ago, why on earth does a bloke who only joined in January need a whole month off?

Well, it's just great isn't it. What's the first thing he's done since coming back from his hols? Slap a statement out there about the importance of FFP. Well that will lift the morale around the place. Don't our club ever learn?

Liverpool, albeit a bigger club than we'll ever be, have had an absolute embarrassment of a season. Yet their season finished only a couple of weeks ago and they've already got two key signings in on a free, presumably after weeks, probably months of negotiation. Derby, almost certain to be favourites for the league, have already recruited a new manager and already made a couple of signings. That was our excuse for being late in the market last year! What have we been doing? Well, Hughton sunning himself on a beach seemingly and not showing the Iranian the stadium or training ground.

Van Gaal managed Holland in the World Cup last year and straight into the Man U job, binning off a holiday in the process. He knew he had to rebuild and needed as much time to do it as possible. We need a left back, probably 2 wingers and 2 forwards as a MINIMUM and we're now fighting the clock yet again. We need the core of the team done for the opening game, not the end of August, as proved last season with Fenelon playing the opening game where we dropped points at home to Sheffield bloody Wednesday, good grief.

Derby, Birmingham, Wolves, MK Dons, Brentford, Preston and Forest all in amongst the deals already. How many of these are we likely to be competing with these for the play-offs, if that even is our aim? A majority no doubt. But no, here we are, listening to tiresome stories in the Argus about a Finish keeper we don't even need and a winger who will no doubt join a club with a bit more ambition.

If we're pinning our hopes on O'Grady (who doesn't want to be here) and Colunga (who Hughton already turned down) then we're basically fcked already. I really, really hope we're being super busy in the transfer market behind the scenes but I just can't see it.

Where's the odds on us to go down? Hope to be proved wrong but if the next few weeks are anything like the 5 weeks since the season ended then I fear we're in for another dire season and more cancelled season tickets at the end of the year.

Save your comments about bedwetting for when we actually announce a decent signing - I hope it's in the Argus tomorrow but just can't see it.

I think it's you that needs a holiday.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
If we need Hughton to be in the country to complete a new signing then the club is in a far worse state than I'd ever imagined.

This. I suspect prospective signings were identified some time ago and it is up to the recruitment team to agree deals with existing clubs and negotiate with players/agents. Let's not forget that players out of contract aren't officially available until 1st July. Hopefully Hughton had an input in to identifying those targets.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
- "unanimously agreed" Yes. Including by Hughton who said only on Saturday ..."its always better to do your work earlier"
- "exactly how the last one started" - the last window for the Albion started almost exactly this week a year ago with a new manager being appointed. Just like the season before that. This summer has not started like 12/13 or 13/14 with a new manager in June.
- "being off for a month" - He's not been on holiday for a month. For most of the time since end of season he's been scouting, watching players and as i understand it he then went on holiday returning last week.
- "we've done none" - Who knows how much work has been done ? The club never comment on transfer business and there's a large recruitment team. Stuff leaks out (agents, ludicrous twitter accounts - kids having a laugh mostly, scoops) but speculation is mostly pointless. We could have 3 signings in the bag or we could be waiting until 6pm on August 31st again. But nobody really knows.

None of that means we're going to sign 6 signings that will guarantee us a top 2 place. We'll have to see. but honestly what are we really saying. Hughton can't go on holiday. ?? What a load of old nonsense.

PS: Andy Naylor is definitely on holiday.

I agree!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Where's he been on holiday then, Python man?

How do you know he's been away all this time. I'm guessing every football league manager has an office in their house at least, so would *probably* be able to get on with some work there, even if they weren't on club premises???

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I think it's fair to say IF we can pull off the Ali deal early, or any other major deal (for us), then it will help persuade other players that we mean business this season. We have a lot of ground to make up thanks to last season's lickers-supported transfer window fiasco.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Based on the last few seasons this was the perfect time for Hughton to be on holiday as there was zero chance of the club getting involved in any business early doors.

In fact he could have gone away for a gap-year style backpacker trip, got back a week before the first game of the season with the obligatory henna tattoo, pierced eyebrow, and know it all attitude, and probably wouldn't have missed any notable Albion action in the transfer market.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
There were a couple of other factors at play last season, and the season before for that matter, that complicated matters somewhat:

1) We were searching for a new manager in each of the previous two windows.
2) When the managers arrived one of them wasn't exactly familiar with the English leagues/players etc. (OG) and the other, well, the other was just bafflingly inept at most aspects of being a manager.
3) We had what is generally believed to be an inadequate scouting team/method.

Whereas this window:

1) We've had our manager since January, a respected manager with swathes of experience in this league and the PL and who has, presumably, already spent the last six months identifying weaknesses and then identifying targets to shore up those weaknesses.
2) We've got a revamped scouting team as well who have, again presumably, been working with our already settled in manager to work on getting those targets.

I am not worried about this window. These are the calmest seas our little ship has sailed in two seasons. Relax :thumbsup:

Agree entirely with this - I'm pretty certain that CH will have been identifying players and maybe opening up initial contacts whilst he's been abroad (facetime/skype/mobile/text etc etc)
I'm also pretty certain that he will do a good job next season - the OP should give the guy a ****ing break

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here