Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hughton and Norwich

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Helpful that they play Leeds away tomorrow in the League Cup. I am sure they will rotate but they have a few important players on 4 yellows and you never know.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I agree and I think we will win this weekend, although his record when he plays against former clubs isn't good. I think only Birmingham he would be in front in head to heads with former clubs to date

I'm sure his head-to-head record against former clubs would be better if he'd sunk to the levels of managing a Walsall, or a Leeds. He's managed some competitive clubs at this level and above though, not easy to get good results against the likes of Narch and Newcastle, and he certainly made Birmingham decent for a time.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Let's not re-write history. Hughton did get Norwich relegated from the Premier League and the team was pretty poor. Barely scored any goals in the second half of the season, the Fulham game was effectively their chance to avoid relegation and they had to win it. They didn't believe Hughton could get them a result in that game so they sacked him. Effectively, he badly spent money there and the team he built just wasn't good enough.

He needs to avoid making similar mistakes in the transfer market with us and he'll be fine. Ultimately though, I think if he takes us up he'll get a full season as manager. Our board and especially our chairman aren't going to rush to any judgements or knee jerk reactions.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Don't win these big home games very often although personally it's the big games against the top sides nearer the end of the season that really matter.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Helpful that they play Leeds away tomorrow in the League Cup. I am sure they will rotate but they have a few important players on 4 yellows and you never know.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Norwich could well play a strong team tomorrow night because if they win they're in the quarter-finals and with Liverpool v Spurs and the Manc derby, that knocks out two powerful sides at least. Just hope it's Dirty Leeds as usual with extra-time and penalties.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Don't win these big home games very often although personally it's the big games against the top sides nearer the end of the season that really matter.

I still think that last home game of the season against Derby on Bank holiday Monday did the damage. God, the pressure on that match was so intense.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Sorry, but what are the big games? Last season, against the three promoted sides we only lost to Middlesbrough. This season we have beaten Huddersfield, who were then top, Barnsley who were second or third, Sheffield Wednesday at Hillsborough, where we've never won. I suppose you could call Newcastle, away, a big game, and the only one of two that we've lost in fourteen matches. So not such bad going overall.

If you look at last season, the only top 6 team we got the better of was Hull, taking 4 pts of them. Every other game against top 6 was a draw other than the home game against Boro.

I'll be disappointed with a single point on Saturday.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
Would imagine Calderwood would quite like to get one over Norwich - in the same kind of way that he fell out with the Boro bench when they didn't give the ball back in the 96th minute

If the same Dunk as played the recent Shef Wed game turns up Norwich will struggle - whilst if the same Dunk that lost it in the Derby home game last season turns up they won't struggle

Was a point a few minutes before Shef Wed away when Dunk was stood both hands on hips looking deep in concentration - needs to keep the same mental strength up through all the "pressure" home games too - hopefully Duffy can help on this front too - Goldson was somewhat bullied out of it for Burnley 92nd minute equaliser

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk
Let's not re-write history. Hughton did get Norwich relegated from the Premier League and the team was pretty poor. Barely scored any goals in the second half of the season, the Fulham game was effectively their chance to avoid relegation and they had to win it. They didn't believe Hughton could get them a result in that game so they sacked him. Effectively, he badly spent money there and the team he built just wasn't good enough.

He needs to avoid making similar mistakes in the transfer market with us and he'll be fine. Ultimately though, I think if he takes us up he'll get a full season as manager. Our board and especially our chairman aren't going to rush to any judgements or knee jerk reactions.

He wasn't the manager when they were relegated

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Semantics. They were 5 points clear when he was sacked but their last 4 games were against Liverpool, Man Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea. Even if they had beaten Fulham, the 5th game from the end, they still would have been relegated on a considerably worse goal difference (although a win against Fulham may have spurred them on to gain one point from the other four).

I'm not sure anyone can blame him when you have to actually take into account budgets, restraints from above, etc. Who was responsible for player recruitment at the time as well. His hands were probably tied. Even so, had they stayed up then he would get the credit for that so equally you get lumbered with the blame when it doesn't work out.

That said, I'm glad they did get rid of him otherwise he wouldn't be here.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

If you truly believe that's a valid argument, then that's ridiculous.

He managed 33 of the games, and left them in a state to be relegated. As I said, the board felt like the last 4 games were going to be guaranteed defeats and they felt like they'd have a better chance of getting the result they needed from Fulham away by having someone else take charge, which is why the sacked him. I remember thinking, and saying, at the time that Hughton had done a bad job at Norwich, they weren't scoring any goals and they weren't good enough to stay in the Premier League. I still believe that was the case, but it's a blip on his record.

At the Albion he's been magnificent, a perfect fit. I felt at the time of appointing him that he would be a success here because he's a very good Championship manager and he's proven that to be the case. I also think that the problems he had at Norwich wouldn't have any bearing on him here, and I say again that if we go up I don't think there's any scenario in which we would sack him. I don't think the board or our chairman would choose to sack him. I think he'd a better manager in the Premier League for us than he was at Norwich, but we have to get there first.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Semantics. They were 5 points clear when he was sacked but their last 4 games were against Liverpool, Man Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea. Even if they had beaten Fulham, the 5th game from the end, they still would have been relegated on a considerably worse goal difference (although a win against Fulham may have spurred them on to gain one point from the other four).

I'm not sure anyone can blame him when you have to actually take into account budgets, restraints from above, etc. Who was responsible for player recruitment at the time as well. His hands were probably tied. Even so, had they stayed up then he would get the credit for that so equally you get lumbered with the blame when it doesn't work out.

That said, I'm glad they did get rid of him otherwise he wouldn't be here.

He managed 33 of the games, and left them in a state to be relegated. As I said, the board felt like the last 4 games were going to be guaranteed defeats and they felt like they'd have a better chance of getting the result they needed from Fulham away by having someone else take charge, which is why the sacked him. I remember thinking, and saying, at the time that Hughton had done a bad job at Norwich, they weren't scoring any goals and they weren't good enough to stay in the Premier League. I still believe that was the case, but it's a blip on his record.

At the Albion he's been magnificent, a perfect fit. I felt at the time of appointing him that he would be a success here because he's a very good Championship manager and he's proven that to be the case. I also think that the problems he had at Norwich wouldn't have any bearing on him here, and I say again that if we go up I don't think there's any scenario in which we would sack him. I don't think the board or our chairman would choose to sack him. I think he'd a better manager in the Premier League for us than he was at Norwich, but we have to get there first.

Andy Naylor disagrees.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/alb...ssed_up_when_they_got_rid_of_Hughton/?ref=twt

Chris Hughton is too polite to say it himself, so I'll say it for him.

Norwich made a huge mistake when they got rid of him.

The Canaries come to the Amex on Saturday much worse off than they were when they sacked Hughton.

He guided them to 11th in his first season in charge of them in the Premier League, their highest finish for 20 years.

He was axed less than a year later with Norwich, predictably, fighting another relegation battle.

They were 17th but they were still five points above the drop zone - and panicked.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

It was a ridiculous decision to sack him when they did. They gambled on the impact a new manager (with no experience as a manager) would have in one game. It was bizarre timing. I know a couple of Norwich fans who thought Hughton should be sacked but even they said it was ridiculous timing. Either sack him 5/10 games earlier to give the new manager a chance or give him until the end of the season and hope he keeps them up. They got what they deserved from that decision and now, ironically, find themselves below us in the league as we stand. Amusing.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Semantics. They were 5 points clear when he was sacked but their last 4 games were against Liverpool, Man Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea.

Blimey, didn't realise that.
Whoever was in charge of the fixtures computer that season must've been an Ipswich fan.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Andy Naylor disagrees.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/alb...ssed_up_when_they_got_rid_of_Hughton/?ref=twt

The Canaries come to the Amex on Saturday much worse off than they were when they sacked Hughton.

He guided them to 11th in his first season in charge of them in the Premier League, their highest finish for 20 years.

He was axed less than a year later with Norwich, predictably, fighting another relegation battle.

They were 17th but they were still five points above the drop zone - and panicked.

Andy Naylor is welcome to disagree with hindsight but the reality is that they were pretty awful that season and nobody has referenced the point that they weren't scoring any goals. That is why they sacked him, they didn't have any confidence in him and his methods anymore. Which at the time was perfectly understandable, and at the time I remember saying pretty much the same things, they were going to be relegated with him in charge so they made a change. They ended up being relegated, which was Hughton's responsibility and I would be amazed if he disagreed. His signings that season just didn't work out, it happens. Maybe he wasn't suited to Norwich, but he's certainly suited to our club and our set up, which is all that really matters now.

It was a ridiculous decision to sack him when they did. They gambled on the impact a new manager (with no experience as a manager) would have in one game. It was bizarre timing. I know a couple of Norwich fans who thought Hughton should be sacked but even they said it was ridiculous timing. Either sack him 5/10 games earlier to give the new manager a chance or give him until the end of the season and hope he keeps them up. They got what they deserved from that decision and now, ironically, find themselves below us in the league as we stand. Amusing.

It's only ridiculous because it didn't work. If they'd won at Fulham and stayed up it would have looked a masterstroke. I'm not into aftertiming.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Andy Naylor is welcome to disagree with hindsight but the reality is that they were pretty awful that season and nobody has referenced the point that they weren't scoring any goals. That is why they sacked him, they didn't have any confidence in him and his methods anymore. Which at the time was perfectly understandable, and at the time I remember saying pretty much the same things, they were going to be relegated with him in charge so they made a change. They ended up being relegated, which was Hughton's responsibility and I would be amazed if he disagreed. His signings that season just didn't work out, it happens. Maybe he wasn't suited to Norwich, but he's certainly suited to our club and our set up, which is all that really matters now.

It's only ridiculous because it didn't work. If they'd won at Fulham and stayed up it would have looked a masterstroke. I'm not into aftertiming.

At the time, a win against Fulham may have done enough (as it may have increased the pressure on the teams that eventually overtook them) but as it turned out they still needed a further point from those last four games.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Andy Naylor disagrees.

Perhaps AN should have done a bit more investigation and he could have checked who they were playing in the last four games!

Fact of life is that managers carry the can for failings within a club and that's probably what happened to Hughton. He's proved he was a good manager at Birmingham and Newcastle and is doing so again with us.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
At the time, a win against Fulham may have done enough (as it may have increased the pressure on the teams that eventually overtook them) but as it turned out they still needed a further point from those last four games.

Totally disagree.

In his time at Norwich he had beaten Man Utd, Man City and Arsenal and taken points off Chelsea and Liverpool I am not sure about. He had a better chance of taking points off them again than the Manager of their U18s did.

With Millions at stake for staying up the Board got it wrong. If they were going to do it they should have waited till the end of the season. The fans didn't like him and he was never going to last beyond the end of the season but he would have kept them up because he knows how to grind out results when needed. Brighton fans saw that for themselves when he ground out results to keep Brighton in the Championship the year before last

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Totally disagree.

In his time at Norwich he had beaten Man Utd, Man City and Arsenal and taken points off Chelsea and Liverpool I am not sure about. He had a better chance of taking points off them again than the Manager of their U18s did.

With Millions at stake for staying up the Board got it wrong. If they were going to do it they should have waited till the end of the season. The fans didn't like him and he was never going to last beyond the end of the season but he would have kept them up because he knows how to grind out results when needed. Brighton fans saw that for themselves when he ground out results to keep Brighton in the Championship the year before last

Agree. Absolute madness to sack him at that time. People are/were writing off the chances of him getting points off those fixtures. I thought he would have kept them up and then parted by mutual consent at the end of the season, and I thought this at the time. Just an opinion, but what the club chose to do guaranteed their relegation.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here