Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hughton 1-2 next Pulis 16-1 We have our manager I think!!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Not too impressed by Hughton's comment in the Argus article...

“Brighton have a wonderful structure and a wonderful stadium, new training facilities, and, of course, they are a side that have been very close to the play-offs in two previous seasons."

:wozza:

I like that. Winning the play-offs is what it is all about. We were very close to the ultimate goal of the play-offs which is to win them.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Not too impressed by Hughton's comment in the Argus article...

“Brighton have a wonderful structure and a wonderful stadium, new training facilities, and, of course, they are a side that have been very close to the play-offs in two previous seasons."

:wozza:

That quote is from Sky's Sports morning show with Chris Kamara. Change "to" to "in" and he's spot on. Anyway, the key phrase there is "Brighton have a wonderful structure". This suggests he is content to work with a Paul Burke-style figure procuring players. Having watched that interview yesterday I'm convinced he's coming to the club.

I got the feeling there had already been contact and he regarded the ball as being in the Albion's court as to the next step. I know there could quite easily be two or three more Prem jobs out there in the next few weeks but I fancy Hughton will take the Albion job if offered.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
Brighton have a wonderful structure and a wonderful stadium, new training facilities, and, of course, they are a side that have been very close to the play-offs in two previous seasons."

I almost wish he didn't say that. Means he's been sold lies by the club, same way Garcia and Hyypia was. Wonderful structure... REALLY!?

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I got the feeling there had already been contact and he regarded the ball as being in the Albion's court as to the next step. I know there could quite easily be two or three more Prem jobs out there in the next few weeks but I fancy Hughton will take the Albion job if offered.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him here by the end of the day! Can't see his recent record is good enough to get one of the upcoming Prem jobs so this might be it for him,unless he fancies waiting for a Blackpool or Millwall!!

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
The bookies know no more than us. They are merely responding to the market. And places like NSC.

I assume you are joking.

Either that or you are extremely naive.

I worked in the trading room of a bookmakers for a couple of years. There are punters who virtually never bet a loser on these markets.

As soon as they have a bet, the odds get slashed appropriately.

Unless the bookmaker is trying to bowl a googly. Sometimes they shorten candidates without any significant support, because there are lots of mug punters who see a price shortening and want to be in on the snowball effect.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I assume you are joking.

I worked in the trading room of a bookmakers for a couple of years. There are punters who virtually never bet a loser on these markets.

Unless the bookmaker is trying to bowl a googly. Sometimes they shorten candidates without any significant support, because there are lots of mug punters who see a price shortening and want to be in on the snowball effect.

The NSC part is tongue in cheek. However your response is mostly confirming what I say. The bookies are looking at betting patterns rather than any knowledge they have over ours.

I'm guessing that a lot of markets are automated rather than manually adjusted ?

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
The NSC part is tongue in cheek. However your response is mostly confirming what I say. The bookies are looking at betting patterns rather than any knowledge they have over ours.

I'm guessing that a lot of markets are automated rather than manually adjusted ?

When I was there (about 10 years ago) it was all done manually, but I guess there is automation on some markets nowadays - but not on markets such as a next manager market.

If a clued up punter has a £50 bet, it will mean a candidate's price gets slashed. But a mug punter might have £500 on and the price would remain unchanged.

Often lots of new accounts are opened to bet on these markets. And bets from these often lead to price movements because anyone might be Mrs Edna Smith from Swansea.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
That quote is from Sky's Sports morning show with Chris Kamara. Change "to" to "in" and he's spot on. Anyway, the key phrase there is "Brighton have a wonderful structure". This suggests he is content to work with a Paul Burke-style figure procuring players. Having watched that interview yesterday I'm convinced he's coming to the club.

Is this some kind of terrifying Burke/Barber hybrid?!?!? A love child?

I'm not sure NSC could handle it

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
I assume you are joking.

This is the right answer. The online football betting industry is worth around £650m - doesn't sound like the business which seemingly follows the crowd and lacks knowledge in its markets...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Looked at#5 still cant see it.

Still hope it will be Hughton announced later today with a role for Jones. I do not know why they cant combine the roles of 1st team coach and DS Manager as they must train together and he would watch the DS games and be able to report back to the No1 to relieve him of a job as he probably wouldnt attend every U21 game. I suppose there are odd times when the 1st team are training and the DS are travelling to or playing a game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here