Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Hughes sacked

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
A few summers back I was watching the finish of a stage of the tour of Britain (or whatever it's called).

The month before Le Tour was all chateau, fields of sunflowers, vineyards and elegant people indulging in epicurean delights.

The stage that finished in Stoke was Cash Converters, bookies, boarded up pubs and a street drinker with prison tats, a pencil lead roll up to match eating a happy shopper sausage roll.

It's a khazi.

I remember previous visits to Burslem. An alternate Middle Earth. A seedy looking clothes shop with a piece of A4 sellotaped to the window stating; "We sell designer clothes" always sticks in the memory.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I remember previous visits to Burslem. An alternate Middle Earth. A seedy looking clothes shop with a piece of A4 sellotaped to the window stating; "We sell designer clothes" always sticks in the memory.

Their tourist board brag about that place.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Pretty sure Jese has never appeared in a CL final, Fletcher was an unused sub, as was Kric and Shaqiri. Afelleay did play in the CL final, he came on in the 90th minute.

Stat's eh?

Jese was an unused sub in the 15-16 final for Real Madrid, he was also part of their 13-14 squad but was injured in their last 16 Champions League game and ruled out for the rest of the season so missed the final. All 5 have Champions League winners medals as they were part of the squad that won it, even if they didn’t play in the final.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
This has been coming for a few weeks now but his cause has not been helped by the BBC. Last week while they were losing to Newcastle 0-1 at home the 5Live commentator was already after a reaction from Stoke fans.... " Don't forget, 6o6 tonight..... Stoke fans phone in if the scoreline stays this way ... " no balancing comment about how Newcastle fans would view the victory ? Also the main FA Cup commentary was Coventry v Stoke hardly a main tie for footballing reasons, I think it was only picked for the fact that this game could be the one that cost Hughes his job.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
Jese was an unused sub in the 15-16 final for Real Madrid, he was also part of their 13-14 squad but was injured in their last 16 Champions League game and ruled out for the rest of the season so missed the final. All 5 have Champions League winners medals as they were part of the squad that won it, even if they didn’t play in the final.

So you’ve just confirmed my point that the five current Stoke players who have a CL winners medal, played a total of 3 minutes in a CL final?

Each winning team gets 40 medals to dish out...

Am I, other than those of you who gave my original post a thumbs up, the only person to consider this statistic utterly irrelevant?

So tell me, how many games did those five players actually play in their respective CL winning games?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I find this one offer than some of the others. Stoke are not that far from mid table, previous finishes of 9th, 9th and 13th, surely he deserved a chance to turn this around especially as they have players out injured due back soon. I reckon they’d have been fine. Now they face the risk of someone coming in who doesn’t work, possibly changes the style, it could make things much worse for them.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Nailed on P45 after being asked about his future following the defeat. He shrugged his shoulders and said something like "Who else is going to do it?". What is known as a 'Ratner Moment' methinks.
:lol:

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
I find this one offer than some of the others. Stoke are not that far from mid table, previous finishes of 9th, 9th and 13th, surely he deserved a chance to turn this around especially as they have players out injured due back soon. I reckon they’d have been fine. Now they face the risk of someone coming in who doesn’t work, possibly changes the style, it could make things much worse for them.

If our game with them last week is anything to go by, I’d suggest that, justified or not, their players had no faith whatsoever in their manager.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here