Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hugh Cornwell - Komedia next Thursday

u'vebeenamexed

Whateverhappenedto.......
Sep 23, 2011
Hove-By-The-Sea
JJ at the Dome was brilliant, shame about Hugh at the Centre, I didn't go to this but think he deserved better.

Gregory is right JJ did bring his Triumph Bonneville onto stage at the Dome. Although I purchased Euroman Cometh & Nosferatu they were not a patch on the Stranglers with only one or two good tracks.IMO.

Anyone go to the Crawley Leisure Centre Stranglers gig or Wembley ?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Gregory is right JJ did bring his Triumph Bonneville onto stage at the Dome. Although I purchased Euroman Cometh & Nosferatu they were not a patch on the Stranglers with only one or two good tracks.IMO.

I have only seen them in Brighton.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch

Yeah,was at the Crawley one,mid 80's?

didn't do Wembley,was that the one with Hugh in Pentonville?

was at Reading Rock Festival early 80's,headlined first day,Sabbath the last

Oct 2, 2008
Did anyone see Hugh Cornwell at The Komedia? Despite the aura that has always surrounded him, IMO, The Stranglers with Baz Warne are a far tighter unit musically. Poor old Jet Black almost needs a Zimmer Frame to make it to his drum kit these days though.

Looking forward to seeing them in March.

Hugh was very good at The Komedia.......no band , just him + guitar for an acoustic set. Guided us through each of the Stranglers albums he played on , describing the background and playing a track from each. Then moved on to the solo stuff. Good night but have to say the audience was disappointing......not that many of us and the audience feedback was a bit muted.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Cornwell seems to be a side show now whereas The Stranglers are now an established and much anticipated annual March gig at The Dome selling out 80% or so with a solid 2000 crowd each year. I think The Stranglers are better with Warne than they were with Cornwell. As a musical unit their mastery of their craft is staggering. JJ Burnel is one of the greatest rock guitarists you will ever see live and Greenfield is one of the greatest rock keyboard players you will ever see live. Do not miss the Ruby Anniversary Tour at The Dome next March.

Hugh'sDad

Nov 29, 2011
'Ove
...Saw him down there the last time he let out an album. He was good, although he'd forgotten some of the words to his early stranglers hits.......luckily I was living it up at the same time and couldn't remember them either.

Saw him and the band at the old Wembley stadium, supporting The OOO along with a nascent AC/DC - whole day £8.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Saw him and the band at the old Wembley stadium, supporting The OOO along with a nascent AC/DC - whole day £8.

So did I, and they were rubbish.

I'll never forgive him for ignoring the crowd except to point out that Brighton had lost 4-0 (to Arsenal, it was our first game in the old Div One).

BangaloreGull

Jun 18, 2011
Burgess Hill
Hugh was very good at The Komedia.......no band , just him + guitar for an acoustic set. Guided us through each of the Stranglers albums he played on , describing the background and playing a track from each. Then moved on to the solo stuff. Good night but have to say the audience was disappointing......not that many of us and the audience feedback was a bit muted.

Saw Hugh in Burgess Hill a few years ago - one of the weirdest gigs I have ever seen - he is completely OCD about tuning his guitar, will spend minutes re-tuning without communicating with audience. Also OCD about people taking picture with flash. So much so, in the end he just buggered off when someone took a picture and the flash accidentally went off. He was good musically, but frankly a grumpy old man. Am going in March, looking forward to it. Saw them on Feline Tour at centre many years back.

PFJ

Not the JPF ..splitters !
Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder
I do remember a load of Arsenal outside the centre,I think that was the first time the Stranglers played there,so would of been '79 The Raven tour

It was . The reason they were there is because we played Arsenal that night . Went to the game and straight down to The Centre after the game. Hugh Cornwall made a big gesture to the crowd when he sang flock of Seagulls from Toiler on The Sea .

PFJ

Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder
Top Rank was brilliant, when they let me in!
I also went to loads and keep trying to remember certain gigs, sometimes I saw 2 bands a week, Jenkinsons had some good bands on Sunday nights.
I saw The Anti Nowhere League and Peter & The Test Tube Babies as support bands at The Top Rank, but not sure if this was The Stranglers or The Damned.

It was the Damned on The Machine Etiqette tour.Famous for a few Palace in Palace shirts getting a shoeing down the front , Sensible wearing a Palace shirt on stage and Scabies getting his nose broken from a full can of beer thrown from the audience.They did not return to Brighton until 2000 at the Concorde.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
...Saw him down there the last time he let out an album. He was good, although he'd forgotten some of the words to his early stranglers hits.......luckily I was living it up at the same time and couldn't remember them either.

I was there too! Had to choose between this, or our first ever game in the old Division One (now the Premier League for you youngsters!); Stranglers won out - whereas we lost 4-0 to Arsenal (as Hugh announced from the stage 3 songs into their set)!

PFJ

Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder

Same day we lost to Arsenal 4-0 in our very first top flight game. Went up to Wembley Stadium after that . saw the tail end of AC/DC but saw The Stranglers play their set.

PFJ

Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder
So did I, and they were rubbish.

I'll never forgive him for ignoring the crowd except to point out that Brighton had lost 4-0 (to Arsenal, it was our first game in the old Div One).

You're right , I remember that .I always thought they had a soft spot for Brightonuntil then , especially as Dave Greenfield grew up in Greenfield Avenue in Patcham. The Raven album was when I parted ways with The Stranglers. Not seen them since .

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
You're right , I remember that .I always thought they had a soft spot for Brightonuntil then , especially as Dave Greenfield grew up in Greenfield Avenue in Patcham. The Raven album was when I parted ways with The Stranglers. Not seen them since .

:ohmy::bowdown:

Hugh'sDad

Nov 29, 2011
'Ove
....did anyone commenting take part in the massive football match, played with empty half-gallon plastic cider containers?

Some right head-bangers were tackling waist high, but no on could resist the chance to play sorker at Wembelee.

never caught the 4-0 remark ( just been watching Albion 2-3 years at that time, anyway).....would probably have forgiven him, and I thought they sounded ok.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here