Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

***Huddersfield Town -V- Brighton and Hove Albion*** Official Match Thread

tweenster

Oct 16, 2009
Lincoln
Just back from the match, phew! I really enjoyed it (as you would when we win) but it was a game of 2 halves and they had me sweating in the last few minutes as Huddersfield pressed for the equalizer, despite it being very cold.

It got off to a bad start when Kuszczack was injured during the warm up and Brez started between the sticks.

The first half I'm not sure if we were very good or if Huddersfield were very bad, but we dominated, scored 2 with another disallowed for offside (was at the other end so no idea whether it was a good call or not) and I can't recall Huddersfield having a decent effort on goal.

The second half was a different game. Huddersfield came out and played much better (it would have been hard to have been any worse) but our defence looked ok and we still managed a couple of really good efforts; Buckley in particular had 2 very good efforts for his hat-trick and both times the keeper made very good saves (although I would have put my house on him scoring the second of these when he was through 1-on-1 on the keeper). And then, in the 89th minute, Huddersfield scored, and then the 4th official announced 4 minutes of added time. Here we go again, I thought. But we held firm for a very good away win.

Buckley played a blinder and he was clearly exhausted towards the end; what a player. Bridcutt, as usual, put in a good shift and I was impressed with Orlandi; his first touch is exquisite. I particularly liked that he ran to the fans at the end and threw his shirt to the crowd; I reckon he will become a crowd favourite.

As for the returnees, I thought Painter had a very good game although he was in the wars a bit; took a boot to the head in one instance and in another he went down in the 6-yard box and appeared to claim he had been headbutted, he was certainly quite angry about it. It was good to see Will Hoskins playing again, and he worked hard. And then there was Brez, who demonstrated again why we needed a new goalkeeper; he flapped at a couple of crosses (although to be fair he did connect with a couple of good punches) but from where I was stood it did look like he fumbled the ball just prior to their goal (again, at the other end of the pitch). Hopefully The Big Pole will return very soon.

Overall, a good team performance and an away win at one of our play off rivals is always a good thing. Anyway, I'm very happy and about to open my first can of what else but John Smith's!

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Just back from the match, phew! I really enjoyed it (as you would when we win) but it was a game of 2 halves and they had me sweating in the last few minutes as Huddersfield pressed for the equalizer, despite it being very cold.

It got off to a bad start when Kuszczack was injured during the warm up and Brez started between the sticks.

The first half I'm not sure if we were very good or if Huddersfield were very bad, but we dominated, scored 2 with another disallowed for offside (was at the other end so no idea whether it was a good call or not) and I can't recall Huddersfield having a decent effort on goal.

The second half was a different game. Huddersfield came out and played much better (it would have been hard to have been any worse) but our defence looked ok and we still managed a couple of really good efforts; Buckley in particular had 2 very good efforts for his hat-trick and both times the keeper made very good saves (although I would have put my house on him scoring the second of these when he was through 1-on-1 on the keeper). And then, in the 89th minute, Huddersfield scored, and then the 4th official announced 4 minutes of added time. Here we go again, I thought. But we held firm for a very good away win.

Buckley played a blinder and he was clearly exhausted towards the end; what a player. Bridcutt, as usual, put in a good shift and I was impressed with Orlandi; his first touch is exquisite. I particularly liked that he ran to the fans at the end and threw his shirt to the crowd; I reckon he will become a crowd favourite.

As for the returnees, I thought Painter had a very good game although he was in the wars a bit; took a boot to the head in one instance and in another he went down in the 6-yard box and appeared to claim he had been headbutted, he was certainly quite angry about it. It was good to see Will Hoskins playing again, and he worked hard. And then there was Brez, who demonstrated again why we needed a new goalkeeper; he flapped at a couple of crosses (although to be fair he did connect with a couple of good punches) but from where I was stood it did look like he fumbled the ball just prior to their goal (again, at the other end of the pitch). Hopefully The Big Pole will return very soon.

Overall, a good team performance and an away win at one of our play off rivals is always a good thing. Anyway, I'm very happy and about to open my first can of what else but John Smith's!

thanks for all that...one point re Kushy...Poyet in his interview said that the goalie had an infection the day before that they thought would clear up but hadnt sufficiently for him to play...so no injury in warm up

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Not at all, but when they're getting chances and not taking them, it's time to be replaced. Because that is their primary function in the team.

But Barnes DID take one. Is he to be held responsible for the linesman incorrectly raising his flag?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Radio commentary said that it was impossible to be offside as he ran some yards to meet the header.

Radio Sussex commentary thought it was a goal (and a near post header in the net was very encouraging) and there was more jubilation (brief) for this than the first goal that seemed to have surprised everybody.

I said score or he would have to be replaced. He did score and was replaced. He has been caught offside unfairly before running to the near post.

tweenster

Oct 16, 2009
Lincoln
thanks for all that...one point re Kushy...Poyet in his interview said that the goalie had an infection the day before that they thought would clear up but hadnt sufficiently for him to play...so no injury in warm up
Kusczack came out and started his warm and then went off; hence my conclusion that he was injured. We were then in the rather worrying position that the team did their shooting warm up against one of the ageing (no insult intended!) coaching staff and the players seemed to enjoy curling the ball gently into the corners!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
doesn't look offside on the tv......it's from a free kick so surely he's on side when the ball is kicked......:down:

Not automatically. It's only throw-ins, corners and goal kicks that you cannot be offside from. You can be offside from a regular free kick (I assume because for throw ins, corners and goal kicks, the ball has left the field of play, so you can't be ahead or behind it, whereas free kicks are taken from within the field of play, so have a point a player can be ahead of).

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
You can definitely be offside direct from a free kick otherwise attacking players would stand on the goal-line making it difficult for the goalie.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
just seen the the goals - how did CMS attempted pass get through to Buckely - Most amusing.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
doesn't look offside on the tv......it's from a free kick so surely he's on side when the ball is kicked......:down:

It's a strange angle, and we were at the other end so not possible for us to see clearly. I would like to see the shot from a decent angle to judge.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Yes totally agree, but I bet if anyone spoke up against him or said something he didn't like then they would be in trouble as well. Crofts does have a history at previous clubs for not being backward in coming forward with his opinions and now he is dropped. Just an observation.

[tweet]270093111374532609[/tweet]

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Man mark empty space is the best bet

just seen the the goals - how did CMS attempted pass get through to Buckely - Most amusing.

The idea is to pass into the space in front of Buckley. At the speed he moved it has got to be so far ahead that it appears to be in an empty space. Phenomenal. More dangerous than Vicente. Nigh impossible to stop. Man mark empty space is the best bet.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
[tweet]270093111374532609[/tweet]

I don't really see your point??? Yes congrats to Crofts and his family, but why didn't they just tell us that yesterday??? Or don't the fans who support the club deserve to be told why a player is not in the squad or traveled....Everyone is a clever fucker when they are told aren't they.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here