Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

HS3 - What's the point?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
But we already have the M27 south-coast motorway in Southampton. It goes to Portsmouth in one direction and about a third of the way to Bournemouth in the other direction before petering out. Sorting Chichester, Arundel and the back of Worthing/Lancing out would greatly ease my frequent journeys to the AMEX during the season.
Would you not be better off, turning left at the second Fontwell roundabout.

Slindon - Amberley - Storrington - Washington - Steyning - Shoreham.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Have you ever suffered the Transpennine route. Slow deisel's (sp?), every hour if you are lucky, only four carriages each, and rammed like Japanese tube trains in the rush hour.

:sick:

You could be describing the match day experience to The Amex from Brighton Station.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Whats your point?..... is your objection simply because the Coalition proposed it and you couldnt possibly want them to have any good idea?.... or have you a genuine stock of evidence that the whole thing is a con, as you seem to be pointing out.

Ah, surprise surprise, tory boy speaks! The point I'm making is that is it really worth that investment in a high speed link between two cities only about 44 miles and to save about 25 minutes? Yes there may well be a big boost during the construction phase but how many companies are going to relocate there because the train journey between the two cities is half an hour instead of 50 minutes? The global impact is only going to happen if companies are actually attracted there instead of london! For what it's worth I'm not convinced of the economic benefits of HS2 which has cross party support!

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Ah, surprise surprise, tory boy speaks! The point I'm making is that is it really worth that investment in a high speed link between two cities only about 44 miles and to save about 25 minutes? Yes there may well be a big boost during the construction phase but how many companies are going to relocate there because the train journey between the two cities is half an hour instead of 50 minutes? The global impact is only going to happen if companies are actually attracted there instead of london! For what it's worth I'm not convinced of the economic benefits of HS2 which has cross party support!
Never voted Conservative ..... and at 51 I have voted once or twice.....so stop with your usual left wing comic book sound bites...... you are tedious.

easynow

Mar 17, 2013
jakarta
It's more energy efficient per passenger.

It's safer.

Reduces congestion on the roads.

It's good for the economy.

Source: Just visit Japan/China/Taiwan and then say "We don't need HS2/3" in the UK.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Never voted Conservative ..... and at 51 I have voted once or twice.....so stop with your usual left wing comic book sound bites...... you are tedious.

You might not have voted for them but you certainly do a damned good impression of one! Still, now I know you don't vote I can ignore all your political comments!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
It's more energy efficient per passenger.

It's safer.

Reduces congestion on the roads.

It's good for the economy.

Source: Just visit Japan/China/Taiwan and then say "We don't need HS2/3" in the UK.

But what are the journey times/distances in those countries. Remember we are only talking about 44 miles between Leeds and Manchester!

According to Wikipedia (!) the optimal distances for high speed rail is between 150 and 900km.

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
Would rather see a High Speed link from London / South Coast to Newquay. Journey times are pitiful .

London to Plymouth is 3hours. Not bad really. It's just the journey from places like Hastings to London that are bad.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I'm completely in favour of the scheme, the lack of transport infrastructure improvements outside of the capital is a disgrace and is creating even greater disparity between the south and north. If we are to attract much needed foreign investment in our northern cities the government needs to show commitment to hs2 and especially hs3.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley

It's hard to argue that there isn't a need for a new rail link between Manchester and Leeds - the existing link is already overcrowded with projected future demand increasing.

So if a new link needs to be built surely it makes sense to build it to the latest specifications and make it a high speed link.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
It's hard to argue that there isn't a need for a new rail link between Manchester and Leeds - the existing link is already overcrowded with projected future demand increasing.

So if a new link needs to be built surely it makes sense to build it to the latest specifications and make it a high speed link.

I not saying that existing infrastructure shouldn't be improved but there is a hell of a difference between upgrading existing lines and building a high speed option.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland

Is there not another tunnel that was closed in the 80s that could be re-opened as a stopgap or am I completely imagining that?

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
I not saying that existing infrastructure shouldn't be improved but there is a hell of a difference between upgrading existing lines and building a high speed option.

Just upgrading the existing line is akin to saying that the M62 needn't have been built - the A58 could have just been upgraded.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Would you not be better off, turning left at the second Fontwell roundabout.

Slindon - Amberley - Storrington - Washington - Steyning - Shoreham.

Yes, but I have the added complication of needing to pick my brother up in Sompting.....

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
That's my point it should not only go West from Amex but should improve it to the East and again it would help the connectivity with the Amex but also improve the job Prospects in the East of the county.

I agree entirely. Many years ago I seem to remember here were plans for a Folkestone to Honiton trunk road. Whatever happened to it.

And I am convinced of the importance of infrastructure. We have friends in Alsace who were convinced they missed out for years because Strasbourg didn't have a TGV line. It has now been sorted. I am sure it makes a difference.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I agree entirely. Many years ago I seem to remember here were plans for a Folkestone to Honiton trunk road. Whatever happened to it.

And I am convinced of the importance of infrastructure. We have friends in Alsace who were convinced they missed out for years because Strasbourg didn't have a TGV line. It has now been sorted. I am sure it makes a difference.

Makes a difference in what way exactly?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The issue with HS2 and HS3 is if it delivers affordable travel, given the current high fares that are charged neither will.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Makes a difference in what way exactly?

If nothing else it makes a difference to the "confidence" of the region and the people living in it.

I have no evidence to support the notion, but I would also guess that it makes a big difference, purely by making the place easier to get to, to tourism, business etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here