Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] HS2 to be scrapped?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Just a note.

For the media to attack the pre-filmed video made by the PM is a mute point and in reality highly hypocritical.

Anyone who works in TV knows pre-filmed content to be used (or not used) dependent on a future event has been part and parcel of TV News for decades.

I used to run a tape library for MTV and had a Frank Sinatra thing ready to go for weeks before he died.

The real issue is that wasn't declared to Parliament first, but this lot gave up on that level of scrutiny years ago.

The other issue being that the media focussed on the video (non) story and the (non) conspiracy rather than the parliamentary scrutiny issue.
I think the issue is him saying repeatedly “I haven’t decided yet” when clearly he had

The Colonel

Sep 4, 2023
If I'm in central London or central Birmingham and looking to get to the other, there's no way I'd be taking two trains (regardless of how fast one of them might be) over the existing route that is direct in 1hr 20mins or so.

Have I missed a key piece of information? Why is the government thinking anybody would use this?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I think the issue is him saying repeatedly “I haven’t decided yet” when clearly he had

Frank Sinatra hadn't died.

It's a mute point. The stories were based on a leaks from the treasury and of course made a nice story, but a complete distraction.

My issue I'll reiterate. Something like that should be announced in Parliament and not at a conference.

Conferences are a party concern. Governments should announce things in parliament.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
If I'm in central London or central Birmingham and looking to get to the other, there's no way I'd be taking two trains (regardless of how fast one of them might be) over the existing route that is direct in 1hr 20mins or so.

Have I missed a key piece of information? Why is the government thinking anybody would use this?

You would use either if (and if) it goes into Euston. But of course makes more sense if it goes into Manchester.

HS2 v the West Coast line to me, is a bit the "South to North" London choice of using the Northern Line or the Victoria Line.

You need both to deal with capacity.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
So, how’s the reaction to the announced things which will be funded with the HS2 money?

The Colonel

Sep 4, 2023
You would use either if (and if) it goes into Euston. But of course makes more sense if it goes into Manchester.

HS2 v the West Coast line to me, is a bit the "South to North" London choice of using the Northern Line or the Victoria Line.

You need both to deal with capacity.

Agreed, if it goes to Euston. But if it doesn't, what's the point? I find it incredible the government can get away with floating the idea of it terminating in an outer suburb of London and nobody really questions it.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Agreed, if it goes to Euston. But if it doesn't, what's the point? I find it incredible the government can get away with floating the idea of it terminating in an outer suburb of London and nobody really questions it.

Not really an outer suburb, but I get your point.

I always thought it odd they didn't just create a short spur on the central line.

The vast majority of people coming into Euston aren't going to get on a train to go North again are they ? They will get on the underground.

Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Odd obsession in the media with comparing the respective journey times from Euston.

It's only quicker on the West Coast Line if Euston is where you want to go to or where you want to go from.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
20231006_083524.jpg

After dropping the car off at the garage this morning, I thought I'd peruse the latest HS2 vandalism.
This view is of East to West where the tunnel comes out at West Ruislip.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
After dropping the car off at the garage this morning, I thought I'd peruse the latest HS2 vandalism.
This view is of East to West where the tunnel comes out at West Ruislip.
why is some construction work for infrastructure called "vandalism".

this is why we can get things done in this country. also funny how noise on how terrible HS2 will be has been replaced by noise on how terrible cancelling HS2 will be. protest against always makes more noise than support.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
So Sunak reckons he now has £36B to splash.

You can bet your bottom dollar we won't see much of this and what is used will be for "pork barrelling promises" in the run up to the election. We all know their game

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
So, how’s the reaction to the announced things which will be funded with the HS2 money?

I didn't believe that there was the proposal to connect Derby with East Midlands Parkway by "rapid transit bus" but it's true! Yeah, there'll be loads of people who want to travel from Derby to the Parkway to be just as far from the airport as they started. And they'll definitely prefer the bus to the 12 minute train journey....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here