Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

HS2 contracts opened up to Chinese!.....

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It's like the Tories have set this country up as a giant car boot sale for the rest of the world to plunder. So much for the great patriots, giving away this country's assets to the rest of the world for over three decades.

It's been going on a lot longer than three decades as my post referring to the 60s, shows.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I remember Harold Wilson urging us to Buy British, in the 60s, to try and retain our manufacturing.
And then the late unlamented Thatcher woman finished the job on British heavy manufacturing industry that the Luftwaffe failed to complete in 6 years of war. We probably don't have the capacity to actually build our own railways any more - and as of last week, we can't even produce the steel for the rails!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
And then the late unlamented Thatcher woman finished the job on British heavy manufacturing industry that the Luftwaffe failed to complete in 6 years of war. We probably don't have the capacity to actually build our own railways any more - and as of last week, we can't even produce the steel for the rails!

Automation caused some of the demise of steel mills. Sheffield still produces a lot of steel.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Automation caused some of the demise of steel mills. Sheffield still produces a lot of steel.
So how come automation hasn't closed down the French and German car industries?

It is often better to give inefficient domestic industries a stay of execution with state subsidies (even for a limited period of time) than to simply close them down entirely. Firstly, it isn't good to be completely dependent on other countries. Secondly, the cost to the taxpayer in benefits of those who lose their jobs (and the knock on effects as other local businesses subsequently collapse) is absolutely enormous.

For me, this is basic macro economics.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
So how come automation hasn't closed down the French and German car industries?

It is often better to give inefficient domestic industries a stay of execution with state subsidies (even for a limited period of time) than to simply close them down entirely. Firstly, it isn't good to be completely dependent on other countries. Secondly, the cost to the taxpayer in benefits of those who lose their jobs (and the knock on effects as other local businesses subsequently collapse) is absolutely enormous.

For me, this is basic macro economics.

The French go on strike as soon as something threatens their industries. The Germans appear to cheat to keep their car industries going.
I agree it isn't good to rely on other countries. We've all done it by buying foreign goods rather than our own. Even now, you can choose Spanish fruit rather than local fruit in the shops.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
A potentially vast infrastructure project that could have provided work for thousands of BRITISH workers will almost certainly be outsourced. Beggars belief. What are the Tory's thinking!!!!
so they're going to import chinese workers are they ?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
so they're going to import chinese workers are they ?

Think you're a bit slow on the uptake here Bushy. I know you cannot bear to see a post of mine go without at least trying to be derogatory but I'm afraid this issue has already been addressed. For clarity I mean the thousands of engineers. Not ditch diggers like the wild bloody west! But it appears there are some pretty big British companies invved so it's a bit of a non story. Sorry to disappoint you.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
But if you lose UK jobs, then through welfare costs, that is also at the cost of the taxpayer, so your option 2 is lose, lose.

Surely most of these 'jobs' are new jobs and therefore it's not job loses just new jobs lost to the Chinese ?

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
They'll be importing Chinese steel you can be sure of that, and that in turn we already know will be at a cost of British workers and industry.

I'm not denying that , I'm very much in favour of buying/using British, I was simply commenting on the daily mailesque style of nibbles original post.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I'm not denying that , I'm very much in favour of buying/using British, I was simply commenting on the daily mailesque style of nibbles original post.

Try and stick to the point, you derail enough threads as it is :)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Exactly. Which is why the French in particular always bend EU laws to secure French jobs and thus why they still actually make things there, like their own cars. It is also why closing all the pits in the '80s was such piss poor decision.

There's no real rules to bend to be quite frank. You simply add some stuff specific to the company you prefer and voila, the contract is awarded by default. The Germans have been doing this for years.

A question that is worth asking is: What proportion of the UK "privatised" railway industry is actually owned or controlled by state-owned companies based outside the UK - for example SNCF or DB?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here