[News] HRH Prince Philip has died

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sussexscots

3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3 3, 3, 3, 3 ,3 ,3 3 coach chuggers
The trolls are well and truly out on social media, I’m sure we’ve all had grandparents or great grandparents who have said equally silly things, he certainly wasn’t malicious in his musings, different generation and all that, I know my nan had some ‘interesting’ views but you take it for what it is, and it certainly wasn’t malicious.

People seem to be so fast to highlight people’s flaws nowadays, Phillip clearly had flaws but that doesn’t take away from nearly 8 decades of service to this country, in one form or another.

I’ve never really agreed with requiring ID for some kind of accountability on platforms like Twitter but the hateful, vile things that go around, particularly on Twitter are starting to make me wonder.

Well said. Totally agree.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Not a royalist and feel the Royal Family is an anachronism - but the Queen & DOE are amazing just for the fact that they have spanned the ages doing their duty. FFS they met before WW2! Hope the Queen is able to raise a glass to her life partner tonight.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
The trolls are well and truly out on social media, I’m sure we’ve all had grandparents or great grandparents who have said equally silly things, he certainly wasn’t malicious in his musings, different generation and all that, I know my nan had some ‘interesting’ views but you take it for what it is, and it certainly wasn’t malicious.

People seem to be so fast to highlight people’s flaws nowadays, Phillip clearly had flaws but that doesn’t take away from nearly 8 decades of service to this country, in one form or another.

I’ve never really agreed with requiring ID for some kind of accountability on platforms like Twitter but the hateful, vile things that go around, particularly on Twitter are starting to make me wonder.

Just watched an interesting piece on the Aboriginal “Spear” controversy that hit the headlines.

So he an the Queen meet an Aboriginal elder on a tour of the rain forest, HRH says to the elder that they are going to the heritage centre after, the elder says his grandfather use to run it or similar with a guy from another tribe who when they were younger were at war with each other and would often be throwing spears.

HRH heads over to the heritage centre and meets the relative that the elder was talking about and drops into the conversation, “are you still throwing spears at each other”.

And the rest is history. And that stir came from one of the corespondents following the tour.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
One less royal for the taxpayer to fund suggests the opposite?

what a detestable comment, showed yourself up.

No one makes you like him or the institution, but in turn i expect there could be many don’t much care for you.
i wonder how your family or loved ones would feel if on your demise some pratt made such a silly petulant remark as you just have.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
A truly Great Briton, unfortunately I can believe some of the vile abuse I'm seeing on social media.

He was from a bygone age, he was the epitome of the game show catchphrase, he said what he saw, regardless of what other people might think.

This country will the poorer without him.

RIP

There's only one decent social medium, mate. This one. ???

Hats off to [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] and the moderators. :thumbsup:

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

No one makes you like him or the institution, but in turn i expect there could be many don’t much care for you.
i wonder how your family or loved ones would feel if on your demise some pratt made such a silly petulant remark as you just have.

He’ll be along soon to say it was a joke, you see!

Edit, he’s slithered off, guess he won’t be on the Fridat drinks thread tonight ....

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016

They might not feel offended on behalf of others? :shrug:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Not a royalist and feel the Royal Family is an anachronism - but the Queen & DOE are amazing just for the fact that they have spanned the ages doing their duty. FFS they met before WW2! Hope the Queen is able to raise a glass to her life partner tonight.

This.

I grew up bitter about a lot of things. One of my life's lesson is that there is no place for bitterness. And in that spirit I salute a life well-lived, in the public eye, without any training in public engagement (well, not till it was far too late, I expect :lolol:)

The Queen and Phil married the same year as my mum and dad. My old man is long gone. He would have been 97 this year if he'd lived longer. Long lives are rarely unblemished, especially when examined through the prism of present day mores. And so it will, forever, be.

Things will change on the good ship Royal Family, going forward, no doubt. That's a discussion for another time, though, innit?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
He’ll be along soon to say it was a joke, you see!

Edit, he’s slithered off, guess he won’t be on the Fridat drinks thread tonight ....

He's said what he's said and people can judge him on that as they see fit. You've made your feelings clear but nothing will derail this thread more quickly that you trying to continually goad him on it.

Please leave it here. Thanks.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
And now will probably be responsible for getting the thread relocated, which was probably his plan anyway!

Hopefully the Mods will be reasonably sensible and keep it on the main board, always disappointing when the usual suspects try to derail an otherwise respectful thread.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I see no need at all to move it.

It would be great if people could just stick to RIP and any stories they have though. We're talking about a 99 year old who served his country here. It's no thread for arguments about the Royal Family or, indeed, settling NSC scores.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
I see no need at all to move it.

It would be great if people could just stick to RIP and any stories they have though. We're talking about a 99 year old who served his country here. It's no thread for arguments about the Royal Family or, indeed, settling NSC scores.

Spot on . Prince Philip had a remarkable life and gave everything to this country & supporting the Queen for her entire reign . RIP. Yes he may have inadvertently offended some people , but so what , he never said anything maliciously . Get over it .

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
The Crown - clearly a fiction for the most part, but it never really occurred to me how personal ambitions for his life effectively ended when George VI passed early. Geroge At only 56 when he passed, Philip might have thought he had a good decade or more in the Navy and doing the things he wanted to do before Lizzy stepped up. If anyone showed the truly British stiff upper lip, and duty for Queen and country – it was an immigrant who made this country his own.

I'd like to see the Royal Family abolished as an institution, but have nothing but gratitude for those members of the 'firm' that have served the country as best they could.

My Grandad passed away last September aged 99, in the end it was a relief. Had a great life, many stories and lives touched, but it sometimes just comes to and end when it needs to.

RIP HRH DoE.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
He was sailing off the Isle of Wight one year when the skipper of another boat shouted: "Oi! Out of the way, Stavros!" Philip yelled back: "It's not Stavros, and it's my wife's f*cking water so I'll do what I f*cking well please."

For that reason alone he gets a :bowdown:...and he thought Nicholas Witchell was a complete ****.

Harveys and HRH.jpg

Apologies if already posted, respect to him! I can imagine him asking Miles Jenner "...where is this tasting room you mentioned...".

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Very sad day. Interested to hear on the radio that not only was he a keen cricket fan, but he was also instrumental in making sure that the County Cricket Champions had a Trophy to lift at the end of the season, back in the 70's.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports