Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] HRH Prince Philip has died

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
A truly Great Briton, unfortunately I can believe some of the vile abuse I'm seeing on social media.

He was from a bygone age, he was the epitome of the game show catchphrase, he said what he saw, regardless of what other people might think.

This country will the poorer without him.

RIP

Another reminder as to why I only use NSC.

Who wants to see the musings of the gutter?

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I didn't realise he was the same age as my late Grandad (also ex-Navy), as he always seemed older when they were both alive. He had a good life, and his absence will be felt.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Much more moved by his passing than I expected to be, which at some level seems odd. I think it's because we won't see his like again. The bizarre sports, the occasional gaffe and the general sense of not giving a toss what people thought. But above all, service and not self.

RIP Sir.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
A truly great briton. RIP dear Duke.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
A lovely man who gave magnificent service to queen and country. I had the privilege of twice meeting the Duke. Firstly in 1972 when he needed help setting up a photographic enlarger in his darkroom at Windsor Castle. I was only 26 and had recently started working for Leitz Inst. (Leica) at Mortimer St W1 when the request came in. I went so nervously on the following Saturday morning, was soon put at ease and taken to meet him in his darkroom. No preblem setting the Focomat 11 up but couldn't help but notice the dark stains over the 'carpeted' floor! Transpired he cared not a hoot about spillage when transferring prints from developer to fixer.

The second time almost 20 years later in 1991 was at Lea Valley Country Park. He had originally opened it 25 years earlier and this was an arranged revisit to celebrate the anniversary. I had set up a couple of telescopes in a hide in case he wanted a view. He did and cemented his knowledge of bird species. Still as friendly as the first time I met him.

RIP sir...

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
RIP
What a terrible day for Her Majesty The Queen, her children and grandchildren.

My contempt for the sort of people who can't resist the opportunity to be spiteful is as deep as my sadness for Prince Philip.

Never met him but worked with someone who did. She bred and showed dogs, Labradors I believe, and was with her dog at one of top shows. HRH was there and reviewed the assembled canine prize winners. He stopped at her dog and commented "that is a fine looking dog, what is his name?". With some embarrassment she declared "Prince". With a smile he remarked "I get called that sometimes".

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Never met him but worked with someone who did. She bred and showed dogs, Labradors I believe, and was with her dog at one of top shows. HRH was there and reviewed the assembled canine prize winners. He stopped at her dog and commented "that is a fine looking dog, what is his name?". With some embarrassment she declared "Prince". With a smile he remarked "I get called that sometimes".

Nice story.
Reminds me of the story about the Queen, walking through Sandringham village one day, with a tight headscarf, a Barbour jacket and a very discreet security detail. Two ladies stopped her and said “Goodness, you look just like the Queen!”
“How very reassuring,” was her reply.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
The trolls are well and truly out on social media, I’m sure we’ve all had grandparents or great grandparents who have said equally silly things, he certainly wasn’t malicious in his musings, different generation and all that, I know my nan had some ‘interesting’ views but you take it for what it is, and it certainly wasn’t malicious.

People seem to be so fast to highlight people’s flaws nowadays, Phillip clearly had flaws but that doesn’t take away from nearly 8 decades of service to this country, in one form or another.

I’ve never really agreed with requiring ID for some kind of accountability on platforms like Twitter but the hateful, vile things that go around, particularly on Twitter are starting to make me wonder.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
One less royal for the taxpayer to fund suggests the opposite?

Wow, that's narrow minded - you only think in £££ [or Euros in your case] - individuals bring a richness to the lives around them well beyond any financial value [or cost]. Cheap shot.

He was old school and his influence will be missed - like an iceberg, so much more to the fella below the surface that few got to see or experience, but made him what he was.
The Queen has lost her life-long soulmate so RIP Prince Philip.

Last edited:

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
And now will probably be responsible for getting the thread relocated, which was probably his plan anyway!

Hopefully the Mods will be reasonably sensible and keep it on the main board, always disappointing when the usual suspects try to derail an otherwise respectful thread.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here