Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] HR / work question…

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Glad I'm not in these environments any more but I do remember how easy, and common, it was for HR departments and higher-ups in general to destroy goodwill with actions like this.

I made all kinds of mistakes when I was managing a team. I was fairly young and didn't have any real management training. But I quickly worked out that the more trust you gave people, and the less you were on their case with petty stuff, the more effort they put in, the more valued they felt, and the happier everyone was. More productive too.

wunt be druv

Oh bugger..!
Jun 17, 2011
In my own strange world
On the subject of all things H.R. etc...where my Wife works the manager has introduced a "Wall of Shame" on it she has put everybody's name and puts a black mark against their name every time they take any time off sick or for bereavement, does any one out there in NSC land know where this stands as far as employment rights etc.? Obviously all the staff are totally p****d with this.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I had a manager like that once, would never pick up individuals (usually on minor mistakes) but would send a moany email to all.

After a couple of months I told him, "Brian, if it's me, tell me, otherwise f*ck off with these shotgun bollockings."

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
On the subject of all things H.R. etc...where my Wife works the manager has introduced a "Wall of Shame" on it she has put everybody's name and puts a black mark against their name every time they take any time off sick or for bereavement, does any one out there in NSC land know where this stands as far as employment rights etc.? Obviously all the staff are totally p****d with this.
That is f***ing disgraceful and would be really surprised if it wasn’t against employment rights 🤬

I just read your post to my wife who has worked in HR for over 20 years... she said it sounds like your wife and her colleagues have grounds for a collective grievance.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I would suggest your wife and her colleagues put up a "wall of c***s" with just one name on it.

jordanseagull

Feb 11, 2009
So mental I can scarcely believe it's true, but it must be as you'd have no reason to lie! A collective grievance issue for sure, and this person should be sacked on the spot. Report, report, report.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I just read your post to my wife who has worked in HR for over 20 years... she said it sounds like your wife and her colleagues have grounds for a collective grievance.
I’ve just read that post also to my wife and whilst she thinks it’s shocking she doesn’t believe there’s a wall big enough in her place of work 😂

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Perhaps there is a concern that the person who has being doing it wrong has advised others about their easier/quicker way of doing things, and by sending to everyone it nips that in the bud.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Justifiable cause for a formal grievance in any half-decent company. Sounds like a right ****.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Agree it's really weak management and possibly means they're afraid to confront the source of the issue. I would ideally speak to the sender directly asking them to confirm what my personal involvement and/or responsibility in whatever the issue was, and if there is none ask that I'm not included in such emails as they're causing unnecessary worry and stress. If you can't speak to them, or would prefer a record, reply to the email......
Exactly THIS

Show/tell me what I've done wrong - if I haven't done anything wrong - please refrain from sending me any messages suggesting that I have.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Out of interest is this public sector or private sector?

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
On the original point without knowing what the errors were or how it was phrased I'm not sure I can see any reason to get worked up and worred. They may know/suspect who did it but be concerned about general training/understanding and want to clear that up.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
This use to happen all the time in my office. Rather than go for the person/ persons guilty as charged a general e- mail would go out from the senior manager onsite to all staff basically warning us all. The union would also protect them if they were members and HR always adhered to this method so it seemed a closed shop. This was a company with over 120,000 staff.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here