Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] How's 2016 going for you?

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
My wife's pregnant with our first, so things are pretty exciting at the moment.

Workwise, since moving up to the North East from the South, my commute has been cut from 90 minutes each way (train, tube and walk) to 20 minutes (drive) which has massively improved the quality of life.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Not really, no.

It's difficult to describe how unhappy my work was making me. I knew it was making me unhappy at the time, but I've only really appreciated quite how much in the last few weeks since I left.

It's all very well being paid decently, and I was, but there is more to life. A lot of people think I'm mad doing what I've done, but I still believe it's the right thing. Time will tell.

sometimes you have to go with your heart
hope you find the job you like
I was always told you should work to live not live to work

madinthehead

I have changed this
Jan 22, 2009
Oberursel, Germany
2015 ended up with me in hospital with stomach pains and early this year I got diagnosed with Chronic Pancreatitis..
Luckily so far, I have had no further acute attacks, it does mean that I have to eat more healthily and have cut out all alcohol.
It hasnt been as hard as I expected and being forced into a healthier lifestyle isnt such a a bad thing..
Family wise every one is in good health, so no complaints there.
Work wise the first few months have been shit.. Been really pissed off with my job and the environment, working in IT for a large American financial institution is not for me.
So, I did something about it and found a new job, really close to my home, still paying the same, but in a job, which at least on paper, looks like it will be a better working environment for me!

So, the start has been fairly shit, but the prognosis is good..
I havent even got around to mentioning the Albion yet.. Several of my mates are Ipswich fans, they are one game away from not being able to catch us and we are still in with a very good chance of promotion.. I am also flying back to watch the Derby game..

Bring on the next 5 and a half months, positivity is blossoming daily!

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
2016? My wife's battle with dementia has escalated dramatically in recent months which has shaken me to the core tbf but I'm fortunate that I took early retirement 7 years ago so we've had that quality time together unlike others I've known, The pension fund is running down and I was worried at the end of last year but now it looks like it will be sufficient to ensure what we can maintain her quality of life before I have to cut back a bit.. In the US now and we will have a couple of months around Europe later in the year in the expectation it'll be the last time,

Not our best year but it could be worse and the single good to come from it has been the confirmation that we have a wonderful and supportive family,

One thing that does need to happen to make our year better is for the Albion to go up if only because we will see more games on TV having had to pass on ST renewal,
Best of luck to you and your wife.

The Modfather

Dec 13, 2009
Ibiza to the Norfolk Broads
Not really, no.

It's difficult to describe how unhappy my work was making me. I knew it was making me unhappy at the time, but I've only really appreciated quite how much in the last few weeks since I left.

It's all very well being paid decently, and I was, but there is more to life. A lot of people think I'm mad doing what I've done, but I still believe it's the right thing. Time will tell.

This pretty much sums up my situation (except the bit about decent pay), recently left my job of over 30 years for the sake of my health, sanity & to spend more time with the family.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Better than last year, and a million times better than 2014. Got a job in February, it's not permanent but it's a start, have a truly phenomenal partner who I met 8 months ago, who makes me feel lucky every single day. The Albion are doing amazing, and the aim is now to sort out a season ticket for next season regardless of what league we're in. Constantly expecting something to go wrong somewhere along the line with any of the above, but in a way that's a good thing, because nothing sucker punches you like getting complacent and having the whole lot taken away.

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Interesting hearing about people who have given up work, what sort of age are we talking about?

2016 is fair to middling I would say. Loving the Albion's results and performances, really gives me something to look forward to.

Rest of its has been a bit of a struggle at time. Work has been tough, and I'm only just about coming through that. I seem to have this constant feeling of wanting a break from it. Its not a bad job, pays well, but then I'm single in my own home, so do I need to earn quite so much money, with the hassles that comes with?

In other area, I'm starting to get back into running, enjoying getting out and meeting people and loving my live music.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Not very good, survived a job cull of around 20 but there is more to come - think my number might be up around September work wise.

BHAFC has been a beacon of light during this sh1te

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Was going well, but a few weeks ago our cat had a really bad episode and she went blind. So she was deaf anyway, and had thyroid issues, but we got back from holiday last week and picked her up from laura yesterday, but she had become worse.

She couldn't find her way out of ant rooms and kept bonking into walls and doors....it was horrible to watch and we had to take her to the vet this afternoon......she had a tumour on her neck which was halting her blood flow.....I was there holding her paw when she was put to sleep.

I am in absolute bits at the moment and can't stop crying..pathetic for a bloke aged 57 and a half!

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
So sorry to hear that, not pathetic at all, love those animals

Was going well, but a few weeks ago our cat had a really bad episode and she went blind. So she was deaf anyway, and had thyroid issues, but we got back from holiday last week and picked her up from laura yesterday, but she had become worse.

She couldn't find her way out of ant rooms and kept bonking into walls and doors....it was horrible to watch and we had to take her to the vet this afternoon......she had a tumour on her neck which was halting her blood flow.....I was there holding her paw when she was put to sleep.

I am in absolute bits at the moment and can't stop crying..pathetic for a bloke aged 57 and a half!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Not remotely pathetic. Sorry for your loss.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Always interested to hear this kind of stuff. I'm only 30, but have been in a fairly serious 'career driven' (not saving lifes or doing anything ground breaking) job since 17 which has looked after me very well up to now. But I do feel like sometimes that I would just like the freedom to have some time off and possibly explore other pursuits. I think as mentioned we are so hard-coded about work, careers etc we forget what else we could be doing or we are just put off by taking that risk.

I have a friend who is an electrician that does a lot of big site work, CCTV etc and at the moment he is in the fortunate position of being able to work 3-4 days a week, earn a good wage for his age and still does what he wants, which also includes spending time with his missus who works long shifts. He is much happier now he has the luxury of being able to do that than he was working 5 days a week, leaving the house at 7am and getting back at 7pm.

Totally agree with this. My next move will be to work 4 days a week.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Lost a stepdad but gained a son, so I make it a score draw at the moment. Hopefully a promotion at work and a promotion for the Albion will make 2016 a 3-1 win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here