Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How would you rate Chris Hughton so far?

How would you rate Chris Hughton so far?

• Excellent

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Very good

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Good

Votes: 31 17.5%
  • Average

Votes: 77 43.5%
  • Poor

Votes: 47 26.6%
  • Very poor

Votes: 18 10.2%
  • Abysmal

Votes: 3 1.7%

• Total voters

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
He might be alright, it could just be the players who are useless!

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
This was a performance that deserved relegation and he was very fortunate that none of the bottom 3 were able to put together any kind of run. Gave him average as he had to work with a weak squad and gets the benefit of the doubt this time.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It's a "poor" from me. I find it hard to believe that was the best someone could get out of those players.

He should be judged on next season though, due to the close season, pre-season etc. That said, given the past few months, we need to start playing well very quickly next season. A few more months of this and he'll be out the door.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
I think he's been atrocious. First season bare minimum was promotion and a major cup Shirley. To add to this, were he not to have got us in to Europe next term, then I would have written something very strong to that effect on here.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
He has done nothing special, but we have stayed up. We lost it totally the last month or so and that is a tiny bit worrying.

I actually think it was good the way he handled Tilley. I saw his tweet about his debut. He doesn't seem to be moaning about being on for 5 seconds, and seems to be really happy about the whole experience.

Can you imagine if he got on for 30 mins and missed a sitter or winning goal or something, he would have the whole summer to dwell on it. Instead he is buzzing because he made his debut and he has all summer to feel that achievement.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think it has to be average as he did what his aim was, kept us up, the manner in which we did it means no higher mark for him.

Did he keep us up? Seems to me the crap below us contributed much more to our survival.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Blimey, I wonder who feels more gutted this morning. Derby fans (snatching nowt from needing only a draw at home), Wolves fans (missing out on the smallest of margins) or we Happy Campers with a fresh start that can only be better than this next term.

Perspective.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
I'm not sure how much better than Hyppia he has been in terms of results and if his remit was to secure our position in the championship, then he has succeeded. However, his team selections have been sporadic and the results have been poor. I still have an open mind on him and need him to prove to me that he has what we want. The biggest failing his season has been the midfield, despite injury we have lacked creativity, quality, direction and the ability to score.
Brighton till I die, but I am looking for a huge improvement on the dross we have seen delivered this year, i'm not sure where its going to come from

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
Let him bring in his own team and then judge how he does next season, the way some people expect or even demand instant success with a new manager like a spoilt child is worrying, I don't think Jose Mourinho, Alex Ferguson, Arsene Wenger, Brian Clough, Matt Busby, or (Insert name of extremely well thought of current or former manager here) could have done much better. If we have a good pre season in terms of recruitment and he does as well as he did this season, then I'll climb on the fence of him being a bit poor.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I've gone "Good". He has kept us up, by whatever means necessary.

He inherited a poorly assembled squad without good balance or depth, and we gave him very few genuine options to try and change things. He'll be given the freedom of the window to do what he wants, and I have NO DOUBT he'll assemble a top 10 team next season and we'll have a few good spells as well as bad, but we'll score more goals and we'll be a more rounded team.

I don't think there's even THAT much to do, it's only a couple of wingers, a couple of strikers and keeping people fit. Realistically, however I feel about LuaLua, you put better players around him and for him to aim for, and he can be effective. We have a good balance in central midfield, and good depth. Greer, Dunk and the certain to be retained Halford plus Bruno and Calderon are good enough options at the back and we only need a left back and a new first choice starting centre back short of good options. Stockdale is good enough, but probably going to struggle to keep Walton out next season.

Personally, I want a left back, a centre back, two wingers and two strikers - and I think we'll get all of them and probably one or two others.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
He comes over as dedicated, level headed and sensible to me. I feel that the poor end of season run has largely come about as a result of the fact that we have been playing top teams who have been full of confidence. Nobody has tonked us though and we have been competitive throughout.

It is a plus point that we have some stability and that we do not have to worry about our manager moving on.

I feel he has done pretty well with the hand he has been dealt. It could have been much worse.

Next season will not depend on him so much as the quality of player that is recruited. There needs to be some quality for the attacking third or it will be really tough again.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill

He inherited a poorly assembled squad without good balance or depth, and we gave him very few genuine options to try and change things. He'll be given the freedom of the window to do what he wants, and I have NO DOUBT he'll assemble a top 10 team next season and we'll have a few good spells as well as bad, but we'll score more goals and we'll be a more rounded team.

I don't think there's even THAT much to do, it's only a couple of wingers, a couple of strikers and keeping people fit. Realistically, however I feel about LuaLua, you put better players around him and for him to aim for, and he can be effective. We have a good balance in central midfield, and good depth. Greer, Dunk and the certain to be retained Halford plus Bruno and Calderon are good enough options at the back and we only need a left back and a new first choice starting centre back short of good options. Stockdale is good enough, but probably going to struggle to keep Walton out next season.

Personally, I want a left back, a centre back, two wingers and two strikers - and I think we'll get all of them and probably one or two others.

This is very much how I see it. I do though feel there is a fair bit to do on finding the right players, recruitment never seems to be easy in these days of agents, fees and player demands.

D

Deleted member 2719

He comes over as dedicated, level headed and sensible to me. I feel that the poor end of season run has largely come about as a result of the fact that we have been playing top teams who have been full of confidence. Nobody has tonked us though and we have been competitive throughout.

It is a plus point that we have some stability and that we do not have to worry about our manager moving on.

I feel he has done pretty well with the hand he has been dealt. It could have been much worse.

Next season will not depend on him so much as the quality of player that is recruited. There needs to be some quality for the attacking third or it will be really tough again.

Dedicated at defending I will give you that, he is also dedicated at producing some of the most boring football to be played at the Albion, I to am a lifelong supporter but don't feel the need to market it in my username.
He was pants let's make no mistake, he knew the budget and the task and he got lucky, without the robbing of Derby and Blackburn who knows where we would be.
Get rid now and let's not let the guy send the AMEX to sleep and put us in the bottom half next season.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.

Whatever you're on, can we all have some please? :wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here