How will England do in the 2014 world cup?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How will England do in the 2014 world cup?

• Fail to progress through group stages

Votes: 21 15.9%
  • Round of 16

Votes: 58 43.9%
  • Quater-Finals

Votes: 46 34.8%
  • Semi-Finals

Votes: 16 12.1%
  • Final

Votes: 16 12.1%
  • I don't watch the World Cup

Votes: 6 4.5%

• Total voters

Ravids

Jun 19, 2013
Fishersgate Maritime Village
Final 16, after struggling through the groups; finishing second, they'll get someone like Argentina or the HOSTS, and get battered by them.

I would be very impressed if they stumble through to the quarters, but any further than that is dream world.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Quarter finals then defeat on pens. The great tradition.

D

Deleted member 18477

Last 16 would be good, q-finals would be brilliant, s-finals would leave me speechless, the final? The final? I'd be dreaming surely...

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
If sturrige, Rooney, gerrard, Townsend, and wilshere are fit then quarter finals should be the expectation.

Sturridge is a disgrace in my view and rubbish.

However if we have more young players blended in with a few seniors we should do well. A lot may depend on which Joe Hart turns up......

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If you look at the squad and the style of play England have not got stronger over the past few years. They also made hard work of a routine qualifying group. I see no evidence to suggest they will therefore improve on previous tournaments but plenty of pointers to suggest they might do worse. I predict they'll make hard work of the group stage and go out at the first KO game.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
A bit like the Albion A good team with injuries and does not seem to gel. Rooney is looking good at the moment. He is looking like a match winner.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
it would be nice not to go out on penalties, but given recent history that would mean not getting out of the group phase....

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Seen some reasons for optimism this year, but they'll be too knackered once the seasons finished. If we get a favourable draw, quarters perhaps?

A combination of the players being knackered after a long season, being forced to travel thousands of miles for each group stage game + the heat + the fact that actually they're not really very good = knocked out in the group stage

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
5 Germans on the shortlist though is a good indication of the relative class of those two squads at least. We're woefully short of world class players unfortunately.

You don't need a team full of world class players to do well in a major tournament. Look at Greece, Uruguay and Italy.

A good draw, a bit of luck and well organised team containing some good players can see you through.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Quarters. We really should be coming first in the group and beating the 2nd seed in the last 16. Less than that will be a disappointment.

However it will depend on the draw. We could end up in a very tough group this time.

Dandyman

In London village.
Last 16 then a combination of humidity and penalties will send us home.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
You just know we're due a NIGHTMARE group after getting off lightly for the past few tournaments. So er, not very far at all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports