Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How well has Chris Hughton done ?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We are in the championship. Why not good enough.

Clear to you perhaps, you must have good inside info. CH will have looked at all the options. He will have had his reasons.

Oh sure I'm not being super negative about the future with CH, I'm really excited about what his team can do.

I'm just not prepared to wave away his time in charge last season with a glib 'he stopped us from getting relegated'.
Ideally, in time, that little footnote won't even need to be mentioned, but not yet not while the jury is still out.

Last edited:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Oh sure I'm not being super negative about the future with CH, I'm really excited about what his team can do.

I'm just not prepared to wave away his time in change last season with a glib 'he stopped us from getting relegated'.
Ideally, in time, that little footnote won't even need to be mentioned, but not yet not while the jury is still out.

It's not glib. It's a fact. He took over a very dysfunctional side and no manager should be judged on the style of play in their first few months in charge of a team that wasn't his. Well, not unless you hold yourself up as some sort of self-appointed voice of reason, which you consistently do.

You've even contradicted yourself with this post. You claim that people are being glib about not being relegated yet refer to it even now as a 'footnote'. Remind me who's being glib about something that looked like a probability when Hughton took over? The fact that you still consider the jury is out on a tried and tested manager who has previously won this division with a similarly sized and funded club as the one he has now and who, with a squad of players he can reasonably call his own, is showing real promise says more about your attention-seekingly negative posts than anything else.

You were spectacularly wrong with CMS, you're wrong here too.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
No sorry, but matching the previous car crash isn't good enough.
Millwall and Wigan being really really poor had the biggest effect on the teams survival, nothing to do with CH.
Had CH's team picked up more than 1 (one) point from the 12 available, against the teams that finished below the Albion, he would have 'saved us from relegation'.

Clearly an effective use of the players he had was to implement his preferred 4-4-2 set up.
He choose not too and managed a poorer version of what was already in place.

We gained 24 points under CH compared to the 19 points that we gained under SH in the same number of matches (22) - an improvement of >25%. We were never going to challenge the top 6, so it was good enough for me.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It's not glib. It's a fact. He took over a very dysfunctional side and no manager should be judged on the style of play in their first few months in charge of a team that wasn't his. Well, not unless you hold yourself up as some sort of self-appointed voice of reason, which you consistently do.

You've even contradicted yourself with this post. You claim that people are being glib about not being relegated yet refer to it even now as a 'footnote'. Remind me who's being glib about something that looked like a probability when Hughton took over? The fact that you still consider the jury is out on a tried and tested manager who has previously won this division with a similarly sized and funded club as the one he has now and who, with a squad of players he can reasonably call his own, is showing real promise says more about your attention-seekingly negative posts than anything else.

You were spectacularly wrong with CMS, you're wrong here too.
This, all day long. Stat brother, do you know what glib actually means? There's nothing glib about stating that he steered us to safety last season. Nothing whatsoever.

Hughton has done everything asked of him. And we're third, unbeaten, safely through in the league cup and unrecognisable from last year.

Short of winning at Huddersfield and absolutely thrashing all our opponents so far, it's hard to see what more he could have done. 8.5/10

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Bloom clearly likes CH as he has given him money to spend so he clearly has the backing of the board.

This is key to me. I feel this is the first time since Poyet that the manager has been given the full backing to bring in his own players.

I know there'll be the usual 'we have spent more money each year' type of come back but whether it's because Burke is no longer involved or something else, I don't know, but it just feels different.

I certainly felt OG never had the backing CH has and I have nothing to back that up other than a feeling.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
After him being at the Albion for nearly a year , how well do you think he has done. The one thing I'm impressed with is the amount of signings we have made and we don't have any loan players this season (yet) !

Agree. Not really into loan signings, but all players are really just on loan, just some longer than others. I hope we do not lose all of our passing and possession game. Possession game even in % football has a place when defending a single goal lead. If the opposition cannot get the ball, they cannot score.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
This is key to me. I feel this is the first time since Poyet that the manager has been given the full backing to bring in his own players.

I know there'll be the usual 'we have spent more money each year' type of come back but whether it's because Burke is no longer involved or something else, I don't know, but it just feels different.

I certainly felt OG never had the backing CH has and I have nothing to back that up other than a feeling.

It feels like CH has gone to the board with a very clear list of players he wants along with a plan on how to use those players and several fallbacks for each position. Obviously no way to know if that's true, but he really seems like the kind of manager who builds a squad like that, and it's the kind of approach I can see the board happily backing.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I'm fairly happy with him so far. We're only 3 league games in so I'm not going to suggest that we're going to do well nor do badly - a team/manager/player can't be assessed on just 3 games into a season.

I'm perhaps one of the few that doesn't mind loan signings. I think a large percentage of the anger towards loans was not just the quality last season but also the sheer number of them. I think we've learned from that but it doesn't mean we won't utilise the market again if we don't strengthen further.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
But, 8 goals and 10 points from the last 12 games doesn't mean he 'saved us from relegation'.
Actually those 10 points from the last 12 games DID save us from relegation. I'm pretty sure we would have gone down without them .............................

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
My feeling back in December was that we had a squad good enough to stay up no matter who our manager was. I therefore wanted a manager in place who would make positive steps forward over the next 2-3 seasons. CH seems to have had a very good pre-seasons, he has changed our formation and brought in players for almost every position.

We've started the season superbly and now have a starting line up capable of promotion so if form, injuries and suspensions fall in our favour then we should have a great season. I still feel another winger, Central midfielder and striker are required to have a decent squad all of which are capable of a killer pass which can unlock a defence and who can score. That obviously costs serious money.

CH has done a decent job over the summer and has signed some players with the future in mind, the only thing that remains to be decided is if he has the tactical ability to get his players to grind out results against teams who park the bus and to nullify those who will dominate possession.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Kept us up but is destroying the good football we were playing.
Yes, it'll be sad if we destroy the habit of trying to keep possession for hours on end by rolling the ball sideways and back to each other just in front of our own penalty area while watching the grass grow in the opposition half and then conceding one unlucky/fluke/unfair/offside goal to lose 1-0.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Hes done very very well now he will lead us to the Premier I have no doubt in my mind possibly this season more likely next.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here