Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How traditional is your diet?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm a veggie weirdo. Most weeks I don't have potatoes in any form though - they're just not something we eat much of.

I think we all get into 'food ruts' though where we repeatedly eat from quite a limited list of meals week after week. On our list of regulars are...

Lasagne (lots of roasted veg with some Quorn mince)
Fajitas/burritos (veg with Quorn 'chicken pieces')
Black bean soup (really thick and hearty, includes brown rice)
Vegetable curry with basmati rice
Shepherds pie (Quorn mince)
Thai curry (veg, 'chicken pieces)
Veg stir fry and noodles
Sushi (avocado and tamago for me, salmon and prawns for the fish eaters)
Spaghetti bolognese (Quorn mince)
Summer roast veg salads with couscous

We probably have a roast dinner one Sunday a month and Fridays are generally 'fun food' such as pizza or burger and chips.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
All sorts here. Usually a week consists of a pasta meal (usually bolognaise with grated courgette cooked into it), a curry with veg, meat, potatoes and veg, mexican. cheating roast (chicken from the supermarket) roast potatoes or chips with veg or coleslaw. As its coming into spring we will have more barbies.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Always something different in chez Jevs. Try to get the balance of protein, veg and carbs, sometimes we'll have meat, veg and spuds (roast, new, jacket). Sometimes it'll be a one pot dinner just as stew done in the slow cooker and sometimes it'll be a decent salad with prawns or tuna. Nearly always have a roast on Sunday's.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
I'm a veggie weirdo. Most weeks I don't have potatoes in any form though - they're just not something we eat much of.

This confused me a bit - are you a vegetarian, or someone who is sometime weird about eating veggies (like not eating potato much)? Most of those meals don't use meat, but then you mention roasts and burgers?

I am fairly close to be a vegetarian now, but would really struggle to go vegan. 100% agree on the 'default meal' thing, I was reading the thread about people's favourite food and I though 'Jesus, I wish I had the drive to make meals like that more than once a week!'

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Not at all traditional here. Tonight it's ostrich burger with rice, onion, green pepper,tomato and chillies. Yesterday was chicken with pearled wheat, brown lentils, onion,pepper,carrot and chillies.
My grandparents had meat or chicken with peas, carrots, potatoes, boiled or roasted, and gravy for nearly every dinner, followed by apple pie or rhubarb crumble or lemon meringue pie. Dessert always served with cream, ice cream or custard.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
This confused me a bit - are you a vegetarian, or someone who is sometime weird about eating veggies (like not eating potato much)? Most of those meals don't use meat, but then you mention roasts and burgers?

I am fairly close to be a vegetarian now, but would really struggle to go vegan. 100% agree on the 'default meal' thing, I was reading the thread about people's favourite food and I though 'Jesus, I wish I had the drive to make meals like that more than once a week!'

I am a vegetarian.

I'll cook roasts, with meat for the kids and guests and something veggie for me. My burgers will be Quorn meat-style quarter pounders, or similar.

My 6-y-o's favourite breakfast is a bacon sandwich. I'm happy to cook meat for others, even if I don't eat it myself.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I tend to eat mostly foreign fayre, from Chinese to Tapas I enjoy the cooking and it seems to lend itself to drinking with it and I like that, but every now and then I mistakenly forget crucial ingredients and end up with meat and two veg and its bloody lovely and I always comment how we should have it more often .....

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Salads and fish in the summer, erring on Mediterranean stuff. Cottage pies, meat, spuds, veg and soups in winter. Fairly trad I think. I can't be arsed with the wave of cooking fever that has swept the nation, mainly cos I lack imagination and I'm not much good with it. The allotment keeps me supplied with pretty much all I need except for the fish and meat so I eat cheaply, pretty healthily and fairly old fashioned. I like it. Rarely get colds or feel exhausted so I stick with it.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
A month ago started new regime:

Day 1 Meat
Day 2 Veggie
Day 3 Fish
& repeat.

Weight is falling off me and don't see any drop off in quality of food, wish I'd done it years ago...
Can you elaborate?

I went on a healthy diet a few years ago and lost 16kg. But despite cutting down on lots of things I loved. I cannot shift the last few kilos.
I have 1 slice of toast a week. I have salad for lunch 5 days a week. I have 1 33cl can of beer a night. (But lots of red wine)
I don't want to give up everything I enjoy. Any tips please?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here