Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How Tony Bloom spent £274 million on the Albion

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Assuming that's the loss for this season,would we be compliant,had we stayed down,assuming of course we are going up...

This season I anticipate losses (after paying bonuses) in excess of £40 million.
I guess this seasons loss will be even bigger if we get promotion.
Blackburn will be reaching into Tony's pocket, for the rest of Duffy's transfer.

Can you imagine Barnsley getting a payday from O'Grady's 'promotion'?

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
£274 million...jeesus wept

Do you think your Infrastructure will keep you up next season ....serious question

No but it does significantly increase the value and long term success of the football club

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
No but it does significantly increase the value and long term success of the football club
Plus with all that money spent, other than changing the lightbulbs, the ground won't need any of the extra revenue to bring it up to spec.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I guess this seasons loss will be even bigger if we get promotion.
Blackburn will be reaching into Tony's pocket, for the rest of Duffy's transfer.

Can you imagine Barnsley getting a payday from O'Grady's 'promotion'?

Hmm,yes throws up some unfortunates..

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Plus with all that money spent, other than changing the lightbulbs, the ground won't need any of the extra revenue to bring it up to spec.

In years to come the academy will produce and the infrastructure will be a key part in attracting top players and should hughton move on top coaches. Something we have Tony to thank for but going up knowing we have a solid foundation to build on is very comforting and shows we have the right people running this club

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Do you think your Infrastructure will keep you up next season ....serious question

It serves us well and increases our chances,medium term if we become a yo yo club....

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West

Over the long term, better to invest in facilities than a load of highly-paid relative failures. AFCB seem to have spent close on £80m on transfers over the last couple of years - granted not all were failures, but not many successes. And the wage bill must be extraordinary. The Amex, the training ground, and the other facilities at BHA will last several generations...

Nobodies mentioned that i expect the advertising income will rocket if we get promoted - expect its built into the Amex contract at least--PL=at least 10x worldwide audience

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
With regards to the infrastructure question,i could further add that it's (historically) all been about balance,take Albion at the Goldstone in 1979 as an example,we had in the top flight,perhaps the lowest amount of seats-5000,for any of the top clubs back then and back then seats commanded more revenue.

We did not invest in the ground,meanwhile a few years earlier some clubs went all out to improve grounds at the expense of matching the on the field spending,Chelsea built probably the biggest stand in Europe at the time,certainly in England,yet slipped into the 2nd Division.

These days it's much more than just having a relatively large capacity,teams need training facilities,executive boxes & lounges,media facilities,player treatment health and welfare,science and medicine.

A sales and marketing base and even a TV station.
I forgot to mention an Academy
There is so much more to it and our infrastructure helps ensure both on and off the field we have the best possible chance/chances to progress in the modern era.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I thought teams were only allowed TWO loanees in the PL ?

So, I reckon we'll get the 2 loans, and 3-4 full transfers ( depending on Stockdale and Stephens, and perhaps including Pocognoli ).

did not know that so if only 2 loans will have to be selective but Tomori & Abrahams will fit in well IMO. I think Pocognoli could be acquired for a relatively small amount given the circumstances ( i believe WBA have a one year option left). the rest will depend on price/availability

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It serves us well and increases our chances,medium term if we become a yo yo club....

I can live with some yo, as long as we get some yo as well. And if Burnley and Hull can re-enter, then perhaps we can bypass the yos entirely.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The median rather than mean average wage bill is more relevant to Brighton. The latter is distorted by the giants. It appears that a maximum payroll cost of £80m is our range. But that cost won't happen overnight. The say 18 retained current players won't get a 400% pay rise!

With the new TV deal kicking in this season which will boost income by about £35m per team I expect wages in the PL to rise, although not to the same extent.

We might break even, there will be no sums returned to TB, he's not interested in such an arrangement. The most likely cash generation for him is selling a minority stake of 10-15% such as has happened at City, Bournemouth and Palace, but I suspect that's remote too.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Deceiving though.

Selling players would generate 60m, stadium worth 150m, training ground 20m...

Selling the club he'd get all his money back.

Isn't the TV rev going up by about 20 percent too?

Sent from my P9000 using Tapatalk

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Hendrick and defour is £18-20m alone. Gray was about £10m, tavorski £3m, Brady £10m. £41m from those five...

Sent from my P9000 using Tapatalk

You're mixing your seasons up though.

Gray was signed 2015/16, most of the others 2016/17.

They also sold Ings and Trippier for £15 million in 2015/16.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Spending loads of money on players is not necessarily a recipe for success. I don't expect us to go crazy but take five loanee players such as Tomori and Tammy A. (from bristol city) who will fit in with what we have and won't cost a huge amount of wages. Keep the majority of the squad and see where we are in January. This will depend on both Stephens and Stockdale staying. If not replacements for these will cost 10 million or so. This is a conservative approach but I also think i it is sensible. Burnley seem to have done ok without spending huge amounts whereas Middlesborough took the other route and are likely to pay for it. We have seen in the championship that big spenders don't produce the best teams.

I agree, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if we went back down again with some cash in our pockets to strengthen for another crack. Burnley have done this successfully recently and WBA did it a few years ago and are now sitting just behind the top clubs.

I don't want to gamble on our future by over spending.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here