Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

how to make more money at the amex and please the fans

patricksullivan

Jun 17, 2011
Hove
once again the queues are getting out of hands at the amex. you have a 30 minute wait at half time to get some food and drink. this also means you miss some of the second half unless you want to miss the last 10 minutes of the first half.

so a quick bit of maths:-

10 more staff serving drinks and pies at £8 an hour for 5 hours(set up and clean down) equals £400 cost.
10 more staff being able to serve 1 pint 1 pie deal @6.50 for 3 hours at a rate of 1 deal every 2 minutes(should be able to do it every minute) equals £1950.00 an increase in profit of £1450 per serving station.

if there are 20 serving stations in the amex this gives an increase in profit £29,000 per game times by 20 games a season equals £580,000 a season.

can i have a profit related job at the amex and a free pie please

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Pointless having 10 more staff unless you also have 10 more serving stations.
Where are you going to put them ?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
once again the queues are getting out of hands at the amex. you have a 30 minute wait at half time to get some food and drink. this also means you miss some of the second half unless you want to miss the last 10 minutes of the first half.

10 more staff serving drinks and pies at £8 an hour for 5 hours(set up and clean down) equals £400 cost.
10 more staff being able to serve 1 pint 1 pie deal @6.50 for 3 hours at a rate of 1 deal every 2 minutes(should be able to do it every minute) equals £1950.00 an increase in profit of £1450 per serving station.

if there are 20 serving stations in the amex this gives an increase in profit £29,000 per game times by 20 games a season equals £580,000 a season.

Except that your figures are based on an assumption of unlimited demand (ie the total sold is based purely on the amount you can serve up, rather than what is wanted)

Not moaning, but just my experience from last night to back up your point.

Having come straight from work and failing to get served before kick-off, I left my seat in the East stand at least 5 minutes before half time last night. The queues were already near the back of the concourse. By the time I'd got to the front, been served and removed the roof of my mouth on a scorchingly hot Balti Pie ("dinner") I had missed 7 minutes of the second half.

Definitely still a work in progress. I have to say, I think the service is better in my usual seat in WSU.

Agree, a few more staff and slicker till operators being backed up by a 'fetcher' to get the items would make a big improvement.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
At ANY ground anywhere unless you get there "first" - which means missing some of the first half there is always a wait at half time, and yes it can stretch into the second half.

Spose we were spoiled at withers when there were only 8000 (or less) of us.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
At ANY ground anywhere unless you get there "first" - which means missing some of the first half there is always a wait at half time, and yes it can stretch into the second half.

Spose we were spoiled at withers when there were only 8000 (or less) of us.

Even then the ques were ridicuous

The answer is to have more mobile staff wandering around the concourse selling pies. I've only seen this once and the take up was huge. Could also have them carrying round trays of lager in those properly designed holders.....would take bit more thought though.

Pointless having 10 more staff unless you also have 10 more serving stations.
Where are you going to put them ?

Disagree.

Firstly, not all the tills were being manned in the East last night. I'm sure there were 2-3 'spare' tills not being manned at the counter I used.

And you could easily have 2 front staff for each till. One entering the order (quickly and correctly) and taking the payment, whilst the partner goes to get the drinks/food from the counters behind. Then a few back of counter staff pouring pints, replenishing the pies and hot food etc.

Aug 21, 2006
Royal Arsenal
Get staff who know the difference between cider and lager too. Then there will be no lengthy exchanges, like I experienced in the north, when we pointed out one of our pints was cider, but we wanted lager. She responded by saying, yes this is strongbow. Which we again pointed out is cider and we wanted lager. Yes, this is strongbow... this went on for a couple of times, then she spoke to someone else working there and they gently took the pint from her, poured our lager and we were done. I was in no hurry, so it was all quite funny, but can see how a similar situation could be most grating.

Having come straight from work and failing to get served before kick-off, I left my seat in the East stand at least 5 minutes before half time last night. The queues were already near the back of the concourse. By the time I'd got to the front, been served and removed the roof of my mouth on a scorchingly hot Balti Pie ("dinner") I had missed 7 minutes of the second half.

Definitely still a work in progress. I have to say, I think the service is better in my usual seat in WSU.

Agree, a few more staff and slicker till operators being backed up by a 'fetcher' to get the items would make a big improvement.

pointed this out myself a few games ago and got hammered as a non believer:facepalm: after this many games it should have been sorted,just eating and drinking on the way to the stadium in future:moo:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

I think you may want to go and look up the word profit ...... you've missed some very key costs out !!!!!

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
When I was in Sydney during the 2006/7 Ashes series they had a giant counter on Oxford Street entitled "Number of whinging Poms" that kept increasing. I wonder if we could adopt a similar counter at the top of NSC with the title "Number of threads moaning about queues".

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
When I was in Sydney during the 2006/7 Ashes series they had a giant counter on Oxford Street entitled "Number of whinging Poms" that kept increasing. I wonder if we could adopt a similar counter at the top of NSC with the title "Number of threads moaning about queues".

I don't think I have moaned before on NSC about the food Kiosks.

However last night!

I usually sit in West Stand Upper and although I have waited a while to be served before (What do you expect, with thousands of people all wanting food/drink at the same time.) it did not prepare me for my wait in the East Stand.

I started queueing at 8pm and was served at 8.27pm. I started queueing 15 minutes before half-time and missed 15 minutes of the second half. The people in front of me wanted a beer but couln't have one as they missed the window in which you are allowed to buy Alcohol. They were not impressed as they started queueing so early and then they had to watch people in the queue next to them actually get served alcohol.

I think the OP has made a valid point. They are missing out on money and upsetting people. It's not a whinge for the sake of a whinge.

LABHA

Feb 9, 2009
Littlehampton,Wick actually
Buy 10 or so hot dog stalls that still sell same shit as inside the ground,have them placed outside around the ground,car park,near station,etc,many will buy from these,so less,to serve in the ground,club still get the money,more punters go home happy.

patricksullivan

Jun 17, 2011
Hove
I don't think I have moaned before on NSC about the food Kiosks.

However last night!

I usually sit in West Stand Upper and although I have waited a while to be served before (What do you expect, with thousands of people all wanting food/drink at the same time.) it did not prepare me for my wait in the East Stand.

I started queueing at 8pm and was served at 8.27pm. I started queueing 15 minutes before half-time and missed 15 minutes of the second half. The people in front of me wanted a beer but couln't have one as they missed the window in which you are allowed to buy Alcohol. They were not impressed as they started queueing so early and then they had to watch people in the queue next to them actually get served alcohol.

I think the OP has made a valid point. They are missing out on money and upsetting people. It's not a whinge for the sake of a whinge.

quite right sir, its not a whinge. i totally understand the situation, so many people want something all at the same time... this is just an idea that could make money and keep fans happy, more like constructive criticism!!!

patricksullivan

Jun 17, 2011
Hove

a fetcher is a great idea, would streamline the current system with very little outlay

ees complicated no?

Apr 3, 2011
Hove, United Kingdom

go at 35 min mark, takes 30 seconds to get what you want and go back to your seat so avoids the long lines

TryingToServe

Oct 16, 2011
Brighton
Where do you propose these 10 extra staff would go?

Last night was unprecedented in terms of queues. We were overrun by families wanting a whole mess of different things rather than your normal pie/pint combos etc. Plus normally about 80% of our sales are via the Season Ticket E-Cards, which make transactions twice as quick. Lots of England fans last night, paying with cash and card, was bound to take longer. But it's the first time we've done it. We found out what the problems were and are able to work on them for the next England U19s game in April.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here