Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How to improve NS and Amex atmosphere?

Can I ask how many of the “move the away fans to to the East where the family stand is” brigade, were jumping all over the story of Palace kicking fans out of their seats to accomadate the so called ultras?
Some of us have had these seats since day 1, do you think we should have a say?

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
There isn’t a quick fix for the atmosphere. We have too many middle class fans to create a good atmosphere. It’s that simple.

Dave the labourer; who has been slaving away all week and sees football as the highlight of his weekend is going to make more noise than Rupert the financial advisor who is missing next weeks game because he’s taking his wife & son Oliver to Center Parcs.

Too many Ruperts, not enough Daves.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Was good on Saturday :thumbsup:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Not paranoid. If the club wanted a better atmosphere, they would move the away fans.

We know Barber likes to keep the ‘family club’ feel.

Or maybe those in the north stand could sing louder and in unison. Ridiculous to suggest other fans should be forced to move, sounds like something a plastic club would do!!!

Score more goals and the atmosphere would improve.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Can I ask how many of the “move the away fans to to the East where the family stand is” brigade, were jumping all over the story of Palace kicking fans out of their seats to accomadate the so called ultras?
Some of us have had these seats since day 1, do you think we should have a say?

I don't think anyone has suggested kicking any fans out of their seats.

The suggestion is identify an area that could be considered the heart of the atmosphere, and over a period allow voluntary moves in and out of that area.

Seems a sensible enough plan.:shrug:

edit: apologies, I see you were referring to the away fans, not a singing area in the norf. My bad.

Last edited:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I don't think anyone has suggested kicking any fans out of their seats.

The suggestion is identify an area that could be considered the heart of the atmosphere, and over a period allow voluntary moves in and out of that area.

Seems a sensible enough plan.:shrug:

On the contrary, some are suggesting moving the away fans.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Having been to several Whitehawk games recently I would invite them onto the shelf for a game when there is no clash of games. They have taught me that we have become a bit stubborn at The Amex to just have fun, sing silly lyrics, bang the stands, play instruments, whatever! Football should be a laugh after all.

Brighton fans are obsessed with the idea of NOT having a drum as it is considered tinpot but every single one of the best ground atmospheres IN THE WORLD has someone keeping the chants in time. Try it. If fans hate it then fine, get rid again but we cannot keep complaining the chants are too fast or out of sync or not heard by the whole stand whilst not be willing to do anything about it.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Update from Paul Barber on the North Stand is that he is interested in thinking about factors affecting the atmosphere.

It could be that an “area” in NWC and west end of NS would work better as a focal point for atmosphere (i.e. the area with more relaxed stewarding) than the current situation spread across the back rows.

It would have to happen over time without forcing anyone out but maybe we could work towards gathering together fans in that area who want to lead the atmosphere and create a consistently positive vibe for the rest of the stadium to be able to pick up on.

To be fair to PB he is incredibly willing to engage with fans. Given the very demanding, high level, nature of his role it is very unusual and very welcome that he is prepared to talk to us about this stuff in such depth.

From Falmer Parish Council minutes:

 At the Nov 17th liaison session with BHA MC had been informed that Matthew Bennet
would like to put in a planning application for student residences with 200 parking spaces
underneath. No more details available.
 The idea of an on site hotel was unlikely to be resurrected.
 Sometime in the New Year BHA would be applying for planning permission to install 2 out
door units to replace the band stand. One would be kiosks for food and the other a shop
and toilets. Also to make inside changes to seating and 2 new hospitality boxes to increase
the stadium capacity to 32,750 from 30,750. Also a large outdoor TV screen near to where
the band stand currently is. These changes may or may not happen.

http://www.falmervillage.co.uk/parishcouncil.php

I wonder where those 2,000 seats are coming from?
Will the 'student residences' include space for movement of offices?

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX

 At the Nov 17th liaison session with BHA MC had been informed that Matthew Bennet
would like to put in a planning application for student residences with 200 parking spaces
 Sometime in the New Year BHA would be applying for planning permission to install 2 out
door units to replace the band stand. One would be kiosks for food and the other a shop
and toilets. Also to make inside changes to seating and 2 new hospitality boxes to increase
the stadium capacity to 32,750 from 30,750. Also a large outdoor TV screen near to where

Ohhhhh wouldn't that be lovely to expand the back of the North and hospitality boxes behind and above that. 2k though......no way.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Having been to several Whitehawk games recently I would invite them onto the shelf for a game when there is no clash of games. They have taught me that we have become a bit stubborn at The Amex to just have fun, sing silly lyrics, bang the stands, play instruments, whatever! Football should be a laugh after all.

Brighton fans are obsessed with the idea of NOT having a drum as it is considered tinpot but every single one of the best ground atmospheres IN THE WORLD has someone keeping the chants in time. Try it. If fans hate it then fine, get rid again but we cannot keep complaining the chants are too fast or out of sync or not heard by the whole stand whilst not be willing to do anything about it.

Brighton fans are so desperate to look cool and not be seen as ‘cringeworthy’ or ‘tinpot’ that they’d rather just not sing anything at all, in case it falls foul of the song police. Which makes the Amex one of the worst atmospheres in the Premier League.

Quite why anybody in the Amex gives a shit what the away fans think, I have absolutely no idea.

It’s an odd situation, but we have a lot of odd fans.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London

200 more seats is probably more like it?

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Brighton fans are so desperate to look cool and not be seen as ‘cringeworthy’ or ‘tinpot’ that they’d rather just not sing anything at all, in case it falls foul of the song police. Which makes the Amex one of the worst atmospheres in the Premier League.

Quite why anybody in the Amex gives a shit what the away fans think, I have absolutely no idea.

It’s an odd situation, but we have a lot of odd fans.

It strikes me as odd that the merest suggestion of a drum or a new song is met with utter negativity and derided as being tinpot. Do these same fans think the atmosphere at Dortmund, River plate, Atletico, Celtic etc is tinpot? Cause they they all do it.

Absolutely TINPOT singing in time

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
It strikes me as odd that the merest suggestion of a drum or a new song is met with utter negativity and derided as being tinpot. Do these same fans think the atmosphere at Dortmund, River plate, Atletico, Celtic etc is tinpot? Cause they they all do it.

Absolutely TINPOT singing in time

God knows. It’s just bizarre.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Cheers for that.

Barber said last summer at a forum that there were modest plans to increase capacity, all to be revealed, they were actively working on it.

Imho the ends of ESU could be extended round the corners, possibly with disability/accessibility platforms replaced elsewhere, plus there’s that popular chestnut of a deeper NS.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here