Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How to improve NS and Amex atmosphere?

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I’m sure fans half way down the centre of the stand wouldn’t mind my better view higher up and a bit to the left.

To me, the best place would be the centre, that seems like the natural place to try to suck the ball in. We didn’t have any singers in that corner when the atmosphere was probably at its best on average, so the noise can definitely travel to WSU from there.

Like I said before, the NSK don’t seem to sing any of the classics, whereas we do. If they sang a mixture of both, fans would probably join in more.

What would you say are classics?

Being so close to where players warm up there are a lot of chants coming out from my area that may seem odd or mis-timed (why sing Solly's chant when he's not playing? But if we see him warm up then we will serenade him, for example). But there are *very* few songs coming out from under the Police Box that I wouldn't say are absolute classics ...
"Glory Glory", "Brighton Aces", 2nd verse of GOSBTS, "Build a Bonfire", "Sh*t on", "When I was just..". All Goldstone era (with one obvious exception!) Chants.

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
I used to sing a lot at matches but I don't any more. I feel a bit silly singing to be honest. That doesn't mean it is silly, just that as a middle-aged man I'd feel a bit daft singing songs. I also think we can all be a bit nostalgic about atmosphere at football. I've been going to the Albion since 1988. There's been games with lots of noise and games without much noise. It's generally less to do with who sits where and how much of a "real" fan one is and more to do with what's going on during the match. Yes, some grounds (Dortmund springs to mind) look and sound great but I don't know that it's every week and, if it is, that's in no small part due to the phenomenal football they get to watch. I single out Dortmund because I suspect that is the exception that proves the rule, the overwhelming majority of fans at all clubs have quiet times and noisy times and often the clubs with so-called great or intimidating atmospheres aren't all that when you go to them for a bog standard league game.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Only been told to sit by a steward once ( FA Cup game following a complaint from a tourist that i was blocking her view)
So I don't think it's the Stewards...

possibly some other whingeing fans who don't belong there.
Safe standing would sort those out.

Been in the North a few times now, using my mate's ST and tickets for cup games.

Have been told to sit down all but once, by stewards and/or people behind.

Unless you're fortunate enough to have a ticket in the back few rows then this seems quite a common thing to happen.

I've made my feelings known to the club in various ways, and I filled out the safe standing survey that I would move in a heartbeat from WL if they could provide an environment in the North similar to that of our away following.

Moving to the North now would be trading a fantastic view for a lesser view without any difference in experience, other than being even more frustrated that I'm sat on my arse in our 'home end' amongst mutes.

I feel stuck, a feeling shared by many whom I have talked to about this. Still, PB keeps peddling out the 'lukewarm' response to safestanding so maybe I just am in a small minority.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
How to improve NS and Amex atmosphere?

Just a thought: how about the other 3 home stands have a serious word with themselves? 25k home fans casting judgement on the singing of 2.5k home fans is WAY beyond pathetic

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I used to sing a lot at matches but I don't any more. I feel a bit silly singing to be honest. That doesn't mean it is silly, just that as a middle-aged man I'd feel a bit daft singing songs. I also think we can all be a bit nostalgic about atmosphere at football. I've been going to the Albion since 1988. There's been games with lots of noise and games without much noise. It's generally less to do with who sits where and how much of a "real" fan one is and more to do with what's going on during the match. Yes, some grounds (Dortmund springs to mind) look and sound great but I don't know that it's every week and, if it is, that's in no small part due to the phenomenal football they get to watch. I single out Dortmund because I suspect that is the exception that proves the rule, the overwhelming majority of fans at all clubs have quiet times and noisy times and often the clubs with so-called great or intimidating atmospheres aren't all that when you go to them for a bog standard league game.

Well done for your honesty. If everybody on this thread who has expressed concern sang as much as they are making out they do, then there would be no problem with the atmosphere?.

Question. Do you like it noisy, or aren't you that bothered either way?

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
Well done for your honesty. If everybody on this thread who has expressed concern sang as much as they are making out they do, then there would be no problem with the atmosphere?.

Question. Do you like it noisy, or aren't you that bothered either way?

I do prefer the noisier atmosphere but I'll admit I'm not particularly inclined to join in even then. I do sing along to sussex by the sea before a game but I find most songs, particularly songs about other teams, a bit daft. Still, as per my initial post, I didn't in the past and who knows? Perhaps one day I'll get the urge again.

Jaxie

Dec 2, 2018
Far East (Sussex)
Yes, you can. I sit and I sing.

I would love to know how many people posting in this thread are actually in the North stand.

If you can then that’s great. I’d suggest for a lot of people, being forced to sit is an immediate mood killer.

I don’t go to most games these days, when I do I tend to go in the north stand. I’ve been in there when it’s been loud, I’ve also been in there when it’s been terrible. For all the people that dislike seats and want to see a return to terracing/safe standing, there was remarkably little appetite for it when the club sent a survey out a little while back. I reckon a good way to keep as many people happy as possible would be safe standing, or unreserved seating. That way the club wouldn’t necessarily need to move anyone’s ST seat to create a singing section, and people would soon gather into areas of noise. Also if you found yourself surrounded by people you didn’t want to be surrounded by, you could move. Instead of being tied to the same seat all season. I appreciate a lot of people are quite attached to their seat, and I wouldn’t suggest unreserved seating for the whole ground, just the NS.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Been in the North a few times now, using my mate's ST and tickets for cup games.

Have been told to sit down all but once, by stewards and/or people behind.

Unless you're fortunate enough to have a ticket in the back few rows then this seems quite a common thing to happen.

I've made my feelings known to the club in various ways, and I filled out the safe standing survey that I would move in a heartbeat from WL if they could provide an environment in the North similar to that of our away following.

Moving to the North now would be trading a fantastic view for a lesser view without any difference in experience, other than being even more frustrated that I'm sat on my arse in our 'home end' amongst mutes.

I feel stuck, a feeling shared by many whom I have talked to about this. Still, PB keeps peddling out the 'lukewarm' response to safestanding so maybe I just am in a small minority.

Seems odd I sit in row M in N1C in plain view of loads of Stewards and have been told to sit down once (when a seated fan complained) and haven't seen anyone else be asked to sit over the past 3 and a half seasons.
Maybe this is because pretty much everyone around me stands and the stewards are only looking out for people who are seated and then ask anyone blocking their view to sit.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I do prefer the noisier atmosphere but I'll admit I'm not particularly inclined to join in even then. I do sing along to sussex by the sea before a game but I find most songs, particularly songs about other teams, a bit daft. Still, as per my initial post, I didn't in the past and who knows? Perhaps one day I'll get the urge again.
Yes, I too sing Sussex by the Sea loudly and other "respectable" songs, but anything that is just sung to provoke other teams'( fans) is where I stop. Like you, I have "moved on" as I have got older. I shouldn't cover myself in too much glory, however,as I am sure that I joined in when in teenage years at the Goldstone.

Bruntburger

Mar 9, 2009
Peacehaven
Terracing

POTG £15

Lift ban on passionate supporters

Bring away fans to NE corner.

Compulsory exchange of ST for Theatre Royal ticket for any attendees who are offended by someone sticking their middle finger up!

Thread closed

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
Yes, I too sing Sussex by the Sea loudly and other "respectable" songs, but anything that is just sung to provoke other teams'( fans) is where I stop. Like you, I have "moved on" as I have got older. I shouldn't cover myself in too much glory, however,as I am sure that I joined in when in teenage years at the Goldstone.

I think that’s true - many fans of the 40+ age range are for more likely to join in with GOSBTS and the non-offensive chants - Albion Albion, Seagulls etc and Murray Wonderland and the like. Those old enough to remember He shot, he scored, it must be Peter Ward, that sort of chant!

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Well I don't know anyone like that. So, to summarise; you think this discussion about ways to improve the atmosphere at the Amex is embarrassing, and anyway it won't work because we are overrun with second team supporters. I wonder if this same atmosphere debate on the West Ham, Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea, etc. forums arrives at the same conclusion because their fan-base is infiltrated by part time Brighton fans?

To summarise no, but it’s a contributing factor, and of course other top six boards are not going on about being infuriated by Albion fans, but some like the Manchester and Chelsea message boards do blame tourist supporters for a lack of atmosphere at their grounds.

Anyway as I said I know Albion fans who support other teams as their first team, but they are my friends and anyone who supports the Albion are by and large welcome.... but they won’t cheer and sing in the same way as me or other Albion supporters, Andy certainly won’t get as pissed off as me when we lose.

Have a good evening fella

Last edited:

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
If you can then that’s great. I’d suggest for a lot of people, being forced to sit is an immediate mood killer.

I don’t go to most games these days, when I do I tend to go in the north stand. I’ve been in there when it’s been loud, I’ve also been in there when it’s been terrible. For all the people that dislike seats and want to see a return to terracing/safe standing, there was remarkably little appetite for it when the club sent a survey out a little while back. I reckon a good way to keep as many people happy as possible would be safe standing, or unreserved seating. That way the club wouldn’t necessarily need to move anyone’s ST seat to create a singing section, and people would soon gather into areas of noise. Also if you found yourself surrounded by people you didn’t want to be surrounded by, you could move. Instead of being tied to the same seat all season. I appreciate a lot of people are quite attached to their seat, and I wouldn’t suggest unreserved seating for the whole ground, just the NS.

This is the answer all day long. I know they go on about being able to identify people from their seats and so on - but it makes a difference at away games.

I bet you and the other guy you quoted are fun at parties. For me, that's a big part of football, the rivalry, giving other fans a bit of stick and having a laugh in the process. A few beers beforehand. etc It all adds to the unique football atmosphere. Anyone complaining about the anti Palace chants and other anti player chants, in my opinion might as well become armchair fans. No wonder the atmosphere has decreased up and down the country. Amex included.

It's also frustrating when trying to get the West and Particularly, East Stand to start chants and join in. Clearly they aren't interested in making atmosphere. West has their moments, South West more so.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I bet you and the other guy you quoted are fun at parties. For me, that's a big part of football, the rivalry, giving other fans a bit of stick and having a laugh in the process. A few beers beforehand. etc It all adds to the unique football atmosphere. Anyone complaining about the anti Palace chants and other anti player chants, in my opinion might as well become armchair fans. No wonder the atmosphere has decreased up and down the country. Amex included.

It's also frustrating when trying to get the West and Particularly, East Stand to start chants and join in. Clearly they aren't interested in making atmosphere. West has their moments, South West more so.

Nobodies stopping you. Others chose what they do. Back at the Goldstone the majority didn't join in every song, just those in the middle of the north stand. If everyone that didn't sing at the Goldstone chose to stay at home the place would have been empty!!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
This is the answer all day long. I know they go on about being able to identify people from their seats and so on - but it makes a difference at away games.

Unreserved seating when you sell out most weeks, how's that going to work then? I suspect most of those that want to get the atmosphere going will be filling their boots right up to kick off so how are they going to feel turning up to find the rest of the north stand scattered across the seats they want to be in!!

Same for away games, not unreserved seating. Just that most that are there are for a good day out.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Ooh it’s a corner;9236329 said:
I think that’s true - many fans of the 40+ age range are for more likely to join in with GOSBTS and the non-offensive chants - Albion Albion, Seagulls etc and Murray Wonderland and the like. Those old enough to remember He shot, he scored, it must be Peter Ward, that sort of chant!

Perhaps you were unaware but most of the North Stand sing different words to 'Murray Wonderland' than the family stand. The alternative lyrics would certainly be considered offensive by most!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here