Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] how to get to Kings Cross from Lewes by train as underground on strike tomorrow

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I'm interested for those coming up from Brighton to London are you jump on the tube people or do you utilise the urban trains ?

I know they can be a bit of a mystery in any city, but Clapham Junction is incredibly well connected. Direct trains to Victoria (obviously), but also Waterloo.

I remember having a debate on here about getting to Brentford's new ground from Brighton, which is near where I used to work. I wouldn't even consider the tube. I get a fast train to Richmond from CJ and cut back in two stops to Gunnersbury. Preferably on the overland or the (very overground) District. In most cases, especially a Saturday - you are going in the opposite direction to most others and you avoid the crowds.

The mystery to me is why they have never added an extra stop at Balham (from the south) which would connect you to the Northern Line.

Very a much a train fan in London. Often as convenient as the tube, the stations are nicer, have shops and you can look out the window.

Clapham Junction does have one bizarre feature though. 17 platforms, 430,000 passengers per day and only two toilet cubicles.

Plus it can take forever getting down to tube platforms from street level, especially at busy times or if an escalator isn't working.

I am also a great advocate of jumping on a bus if travelling shortish journeys, (hence my avatar), though l guess you need to have a fair idea of the bus network first.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I respectively disagree, but then I would. Locals have been asking for it for years.

It's REALLY ANNOYING if you want to go to Brighton / Gatwick, you have to go up to Clapham Junction only to pass back through the station YOU'VE JUST COME FROM.

:lolol:

Tell me about it: I lived in Balham for 16 years and got used to seeing us pass through where i wanted to go. I got smart one day: a late night train stopped at Balham so I hopped out thinking I'd beaten the system. I then discovered that the platfrom was locked. Fortunately, the guard was still around locking up the rest of the station. I had visions of spending the night there.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Sorry to disappoint you, it’s not just us vermin drivers, it’s an all grades industrial action, track, signals, station staff, engineering staff and of course scum drivers. It’s not money ( that’s sorted, you are going to shat the bed when you find out what we are getting) it’s job cuts, over 600 in total. You hurt one, you hurt us all. Now I know a working class lad like you will understand…surely?

Did you ever think that the "more money" could lead to "fewer jobs"? Especially with passenger numbers down?

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
Did you ever think that the "more money" could lead to "fewer jobs"? Especially with passenger numbers down?

I thought that Khan freezing fares for the last 5 years wasn’t helpful, I suppose it has made him popular, also the statue commission isn’t going to pay for itself. Back to your original rant, it isn’t just us scum drivers, it is an all grade industrial action and nothing to do with pay, the pay deal was negotiated 3 years ago, this is the last year of a 4 year deal. Anyway all out the brothers and sisters and those that haven’t decided. I’m sure a working class lad like yourself will be offering your full support [emoji1303]

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
I've thought since the advent of the Overground that a stop at New Cross Gate or Norwood Junction would enable travellers from Sussex to access the part of the Overground running to North East London. At present it involves changing at East Croydon and catching a"local' train to either of the stations mentioned above and changing again. I know that Clapham Junction can be used but the long foot journey from the Southern platforms to the Overground platforms can be difficult for the less mobile.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here