Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How To Get Rid Of Annoying Marketing Phone Calls

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Mike C Gull: I regularly get calls from companies selling conservatories etc, despite, my living in a second floor flat.

Maybe next time I'll take up your suggestion and invite them round for a chat.

What I find annoying is that they always ask for "two minutes of your time", which is a clear lie, as I once made the mistake of agreeing, and was then caught up for at least ten minutes. They also pretend they're not selling anything (another lie) and crap on with stuff like

"if you were thinking about making one home improvement in the next 6 months, would it be 1. replacement windows 2. a conservatory 3. a home extension or 4. cavity wall insulation?"

"I'm not planning any improvements and I already have double glazing so thanks but no thanks"

Caller: "but if you were planning one of them, which would it be?"

"none of them"

Caller: "But...but if you were planni..."

"Sod off, I don't want your cruddy windows, good night"

As soon as they start, ask what they're selling. THey usually try and deny it and get all awkward, but eventually have to admit, at which point it's much easier to tell them to piss off.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
David M said:
My dad says to them (when they are on the other end of the phone) that he will just go and get the home owner. Then leaves the phone off the hook and sees how long they stay there for:lolol:

That's one fun way to deal with them. My other fave is to say that you are busy at the moment but why don't they give you their personal home phone number so you can give them a later.

I have subsequently registered with the TPS and they do indeed shit themselves when you mention that.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
These sales people are the telephonic equivalent of Jehovah's Witnesses.

I once made the mistake of opening the door to some Witnesses and taking their magazine, just to shut them up.

Grave error, they then came round virtually every day for the next two weeks to see if I'd read it and find out whether I'd seen the light. I was about 15 at the time and it was the middle of the school holidays. I hid every time they rang the doorbell. You wouldn't believe how long they hang around after pressing the bell- they don't just give up after 10 seconds with no answer.

The strange thing is, they must convert a reasonable number of people, otherwise they wouldn't do it. In the same way, plenty of people must sign up for new windows when called by salesmen, or decide to have their drives resurfaced because some bloke turns up on the doorstep, or even order a Capital One/MBNA credit card just because they send you 10 junk mail letters every week.

Anyone ever signed up for something just because of a sales call or junk mail bombardment?

Last edited:

edna krabappel said:
Anyone ever signed up for something just because of a sales call or junk mail bombardment? [/B]

I was very tempted by the bizarre looking footstall that I keep being sent pictures of by some random company. Apparently it can be used for about 4 purposes, all involving resting your feet on it. So that's 1 purpose then!

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
12 years ago I was offered a carpet cleaning service. As my carpet needed it I acceptd.

I knew it was Kirby vacs (they charge nearly £1000 for a vacuum cleaner) but accepted anyway because all they would say was 'Would you like a carpet cleaned?'

The bloke arrived with a carpet shampooer and vacuum cleaner and started his sales spiel.
The best bit was talking about asthma and allergies etc. Ned is severely asthmatic and pointed out that a house can be too clean and actually make asthma worse by not being able to build up immunity.
Then the classic 2nd man arrived to talk to us. Then the phone call to the manager to be able to offer us a 'knock down price'

It took an hour and a half. We didn't buy the vac and we got a large living room carpet cleaned.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Yorkie said:
They are not allowed to under the data protection act.

I haven't had a nuisance call in over 5 years and I am simply ex directory.
I have been ex-directory for more than 10 years but was still getting annoying phone calls. After getting 3 in one evening all from different companies I decided to try the TPS. Within 2 weeks no more silent calls, no more unsolicited calls. If I get a sales call from a company I already deal with I politely ask them to mark my file with 'no sales calls' and it works.

Now it's just relatives and friends I've got to educate not to ring either when I'm eating or watching football

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Just signed up with TPS, cheers for the link Tom.

It was necessary to do so, and will hopefully stop Scottish Power from hounding me!! They even sent someone to my door yesterday wanting to check whether I was "being overcharged on my gas bill".

"How do you pay your bill? Direct Debit or Quarterly?"

"By cheque." says I, "Look I'm quite happy with the service I get from my current company, I don't want to talk to you."

"Well, you can continue to be overcharged then, and I'll see you again in six months" he replied sulkily.

Cock!!!! :angry:

With the home improvement mob I just tell them I'm a tenant and they soon sod off!!

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
All the Power companies have reps going door to door so it isn't a case of hounding you in particular.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Yorkie said:
All the Power companies have reps going door to door so it isn't a case of hounding you in particular.

This chap was doing every door in the street I think, but it seems like they are hounding me in particular, what with all the calls that led up to it!!!

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Curious Orange said:
This chap was doing every door in the street I think, but it seems like they are hounding me in particular, what with all the calls that led up to it!!!

It's called testing the area.

I had the ideal excuse when they called by saying I worked for Yorkshire Electricity. They knew they couldn't con me with all their talk of percentages.

We put the phone down on one lady (from India I sustyected) having told her, fairly politley, I thought, that we weren't interetsed in their products.................................

only for her to ring back ten seconds later and tell us that we were the rudest people she'd ever spoken to.

I couldn't stop laughing all the way through the rest of her tirade:lolol: :drink:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Try slipping into an uncontrollable stutter.

Caller: "Hi, my names Tim and I'm calling from Clearview Windows. We have some reps in your area this week who are doing FREE QUOTES with no obligation to buy, and we can offer you some fantastic double glazing at a very competative rate. Were you thinking of having any double glazing ?"

Me: "Www www w w wwwe aaa aaa aare cccc ccccc cccu ccu cucu cu cu...."

Caller: "You are currently thinking about it ?"

Me: "Nnnnn nnn nn nnn...."

Caller: "No ? But did you know we have a special this week on front doors and windows which I'm sure you'd find exciting"

Me: "Ttthh ttth thhhe ttthhii thhiiii th thhh thhh th thing is, www wwww w w wwee hhhh hhha ha hhha haaave aa aaal all...."

Caller: "Already got double glazing, alright sorry to have bothered you, bye" *click* "f*** ME what a pain in the arse"

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here