How to beat Brighton at the Amex

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tummy Burger

Aug 1, 2003
Haywards Heath
In my opinion.

Sit back and let them have the ball between the two centre backs. Mark other players but let the 2 centre backs have little in terms of options. Both are decent centre backs but neither is likely to come forward with the ball or thread a defence splitting pass. As long as their 2 least creative players are the spare men we are OK.

No1 attacking option. Cross to the far post. From either wing, will get lots of joy from a decent cross to the back stick.

Fairly obvious I'm sure but his needs to now work out how we need to play when this happens.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
No1 attacking option. Cross to the far post. From either wing, will get lots of joy from a decent cross to the back stick.

Not if Bridge AND Bruno are playing.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
As soon as the ball comes past the halfway line put immediate pressure on any player receiving the ball

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Calderon's weaknesses have been on show in the last two and a bit games. Bruno is a class better and when fit, we will have the two best full-backs in the div ision. We will stay a top six side if CMS;Bruno, Crofts,Bridge and Vicente are fit, although I am only anticipating cameo roles for the latter.
When teams come at us, we will be more successful and I am expecting a good season on the road.

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
To be fair towards the end Gordon Greer was pumping some absolutely stunning balls up to will Buckley

I thought Gus love's the ball-on-the-ground style of play!

But when Greer started to do that we seemed to put the Ipswich defence under much more pressure than for most of the game that had gone before!

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
To be fair towards the end Gordon Greer was pumping some absolutely stunning balls up to will Buckley

He hit two. After about 100 attempts earlier in the game (one of which he fizzed at chest height through the middle of the park straight to an Ipswich player which almost resulted in them scoring)

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
i love the way Albion play, the style of football is great to watch, but theres one big problem for me. We play the same football but at different tempos, when we play sklick passing at pace with great movement, teams CANNOT live with us, we tear them to pieces, get behind defenders and get decent balls in the box, when we play slow slick passing.............we are very predictable and easy to mark and tend to give the ball away.

For me at Home, you should have 2 wingers and go at them from the off, make them change the way they play. Attacking wise and at pace we are a cut above any other team in the league and should play to our strenghts at all times, especailly now we have the back 5 we have.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
1. Mirror the 433 formation Brighton play.
2. Have your central striker close down Gordon Greer. Let El-Abd have it all day.
3. Have a CMF get tight, as in all game long, man-to-man marking tight, on Liam Bridcutt. Do not allow him to dictate the game. Force more direct balls from back to front.
4. Double up on Brighton's wingers with a full-back and the winger tracking back.
5. Position a defender on the front post at corners.
6. Make the most of set pieces.
7. Once in front, waste time until the end of the game, even if this begins in the 27th minute. Your keeper should take at least 60 seconds to take any goal kick or free kick. The referee will make a 'hurry up' gesture every time this occurs, but will never actually do anything about it.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
In my opinion.

Sit back and let them have the ball between the two centre backs. Mark other players but let the 2 centre backs have little in terms of options. Both are decent centre backs but neither is likely to come forward with the ball or thread a defence splitting pass. As long as their 2 least creative players are the spare men we are OK.

Fairly obvious I'm sure but his needs to now work out how we need to play when this happens.

Very naive.

Yes, based on watching the Ipswich game, no for the other games played at home this season.

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
Not over impressed with the last two games but will be satisfied if we finish in the top half of the table and play entertaining football at home.
There are some who feel we should go for promotion and were envying Saints last season, hopefully they have got their feet back on the ground.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports