Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How thick are students...

It's hardly mutually exclusive. You never know, after going off to study for that degree, they may even come back knowing how to live on their own, change light bulbs, and even cook and clean for themselves.

Many people consider going away to a university as one of the best ways to learn common sense! :thumbsup:

It's a bloody expensive way to learn common sense! I fundamentally don't agree with the assertion that going to university is some kind of 'life experience'. Someone should only go to university if it is going to make them more employable afterwards. That doesn't necessarily mean that they have to have a career in the area that they chose at university, but it does have to allow them to demonstrate their intelligence and prove that they have skills which are useful in the area of work they wish to persue.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The fact that you pay the higher rate without having gone to university is your own fault for being clever. :dunce:

I can assure you that you don't have to clever to be a higher rate tax payer ! :hilton:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
....Which suggests to me a sliding scale is the way forward, the more likely the job leads to a job in that field, the lower the fee. Why should the poorest not be given a chance of self betterment for purely financial reasons? Surely a society like ours looks to protect the vulnerable.

Because we have a Tory government for a start. On that note the assaults and damage will have a very negative affect as the Tories will dig in, ask the miners (if you can find one now). You see if a bunch of chavs walk into town and smash the place up they're a bunch of nasty little bastards who should be publicly birched however these students are just exercising their democratic rights.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
What do we want?
Lower taxes for Non Graduates!
When do we want them?
Back Dated since I left school in 1984 and got a job!

And let the graduates, on higher taxes, pay for the lot of it.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
It's a bloody expensive way to learn common sense! I fundamentally don't agree with the assertion that going to university is some kind of 'life experience'. Someone should only go to university if it is going to make them more employable afterwards. That doesn't necessarily mean that they have to have a career in the area that they chose at university, but it does have to allow them to demonstrate their intelligence and prove that they have skills which are useful in the area of work they wish to persue.

I never suggested it was. I was simply saying you learn more at Uni than just a course.

Read the post I was replying to, it might put it in context.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Because we have a Tory government for a start. On that note the assaults and damage will have a very negative affect as the Tories will dig in, ask the miners (if you can find one now). You see if a bunch of chavs walk into town and smash the place up they're a bunch of nasty little bastards who should be publicly birched however these students are just exercising their democratic rights.

I see no difference in what these students are doing and those thugs Smash EDO. Both very student like demos .... oh .... :facepalm:

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Maybe they should be protesting about the banks and the overspending of the previous government rather than trashing buildings and acting like bell ends.

Do they think they are so special? Most of us are hoping that the economy picks up before we are all out of work.

Tossers!

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Maybe they should be protesting about the banks and the overspending of the previous government rather than trashing buildings and acting like bell ends.

Do they think they are so special? Most of us are hoping that the economy picks up before we all out of work.

Tossers!

Stop talking sense, this thread is about bashing toffs and liberals, not about understanding the causes of the underlying problem and the practicalities of modern life!!

:thumbsup:

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
That was at the end of one of the BBC articles on the protests. I agree with most of the young lady's sentiments, but that last line clearly demonstrates that she doesn't understand the policy.

:facepalm:

You have to remember that students are just grown up kids and have no real knowledge of the bigger issues.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Good on them, and all those on the march today. About time we stood up and got counted, before the tories put higher education out of the reach of a whole new generation.

Whilst terrorising people, causing massive disruption, criminal damage and commiting violent acts ... yep that should really help the cause ... twats each and every one of them

So if any disagrees with any law or policy they should smash the place up?

Wow Great Britain ...

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
:blush: oops, misread :p

Forgiven, the pity of it all is that it was carried out by a small minority who have ruined the credibility of all students. All t will do it make the Tories even more highly entrenched not to mention that thanks to today this handful of scum have just taken more money out of the Exchecher. I would bet more than a few of them are not even students.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Whilst terrorising people, causing massive disruption, criminal damage and commiting violent acts ... yep that should really help the cause ... twats each and every one of them

So if any disagrees with any law or policy they should smash the place up?

Wow Great Britain ...

No absolutely not. But when the Government shits on people tempers run high.

Go and read the thread from the begining, this has already been done.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Nothing wrong with peaceful protests,in fact I wish there had been rather more protests in this country over the last 30 years or so.We have put up with some shit.However,when a protest like today's gets violent;there can be no excuse.
No doubt the protest was hijacked by the usual lunatic fringe( almost certainly not students)who are against everything and that 's the pity because students in the future are going to face a hard time......damn' sight harder than this old 1960's student,who votes Tory by the way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here