Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How the club does transfers, from Paul Barber

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I wonder if that was released as a reaction to Dembele's agent appearing at Chelsea?

Sky running a story on Christmas Day saying a £18m bid had been accepted based on a Xmas day tweet from one of their reporters.
Dembele's agent, is (according to the Daily Record) quite a regular at Stamford Bridge so not unusual to see him there on Boxing Day.

Barber sent a similar note to Bozza/NSC about the summer transfer window which he later wrote up for the programme.
http://www.northstandchat.com/showt...nsfer-Window&p=8109739&viewfull=1#post8109739

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Yep.

And that's why as soon as a transfer story is leaked a week before the player can possibly join, it's 95% certainly not gonna happen.

In fact if a story leaks now about a player and the deal is not done within a few hours I would write off.

We almost need to target players with crap agents these days because as soon as other clubs are informed of our interest in a player we know we will struggle to compete, especially with a striker.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
If this never stops, why are targets agreed so near to the transfer window opening, we clearly felt some of the players we went for in the summer were suitable, and I appreciate things change, but why couldn't some of those deals be agreed in October/November and not wait till January and run the risk of missing out?

Because long-term injuries may happen in-between the deal being agreed? Because the selling club know that other clubs may take a interest later on and want to maximise any transfer fee they receive and it's not beneficial to them having a player that they're still paying wages for but are fearful of playing? Because the buying club might want to see if a more suitable player becomes available?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Why do communications like this fill me with dread? Lets be honest the failure to sign a forward for whatever reason in the summer was poor. We need to strike early this time round and i hope stuff like this isnt the beginning of the usual sound bites we get at window time.

Leave it late again and we will not survive i fear.

Barber does these communications all year round, he never "stops" either, so not sure how you can read anything into it.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Leak-gate?

If information relating to transfer targets is restricted to only 3 or 4 people, how comes, by Barber's own admission, there are still leaks?

The leaks will come from the player end. Agent, family etc.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I wonder if that was released as a reaction to Dembele's agent appearing at Chelsea? Leaks regarding that 'transfer' are clearly coming from the agent, who is trying to drum up some alternatives. I'd be surprised if he hadn't been considered but equally surprised if he had been near the top of our shopping list.

With regards to the formulation of target lists surely the variables of availability, other clubs moves, players personal situations etc etc make those lists fluid at best?

Despite what Celtic might claim. There is a female reporter at that club who is throwing Dembele stories out into the Press constantly and she is not getting the stories from Potential buying clubs. It's coming from internal sources at Celtic despite what the Celtic official sources say.

Brighton do Transfers the right way in my opinion - It's not helpful for stories too leak early. Journalists have a job to do but doesn't mean to say that I like the way they go about their work.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Why do communications like this fill me with dread? Lets be honest the failure to sign a forward for whatever reason in the summer was poor. We need to strike early this time round and i hope stuff like this isnt the beginning of the usual sound bites we get at window time.

Leave it late again and we will not survive i fear.

Context. The context here for me is the leader is describing exactly how a top club should conduct its business. So what are you banging on about? Are you suggesting that we will fail and therefore the strategy outlined should be changed? To what? Leaking our transfer targets to the press to unsettle the other club and 'turn' the player's head, perhaps?

We are Brighton and Hove Albion, not effing Barclona. FFS. :facepalm: Keep that bed dry! :lolol::thumbsup:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Yep.

And that's why as soon as a transfer story is leaked a week before the player can possibly join, it's 95% certainly not gonna happen.

In fact if a story leaks now about a player and the deal is not done within a few hours I would write off.

We almost need to target players with crap agents these days because as soon as other clubs are informed of our interest in a player we know we will struggle to compete, especially with a striker.

Although the last time a transfer became public like this , (Dwamena) , then a deal was still done. The transfer didn't go ahead as we all know but not because it was leaked (at their end).

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Barber does these communications all year round, he never "stops" either, so not sure how you can read anything into it.

Precisely, I am sure it is a template in his mail drafts as well for a quick copy and paste

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
Context. The context here for me is the leader is describing exactly how a top club should conduct its business. So what are you banging on about? Are you suggesting that we will fail and therefore the strategy outlined should be changed? To what? Leaking our transfer targets to the press to unsettle the other club and 'turn' the player's head, perhaps?

We are Brighton and Hove Albion, not effing Barclona. FFS. :facepalm: Keep that bed dry! :lolol::thumbsup:

My bed isnt wet and I will accept whatever happens this season. I guess I should have said that I hope lesson have been learnt from the summer and that I hope we are well advanced in the hunt this time. whatever the strategy last time it failed in the key area for some reason and we cant afford the same in January

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Yep.

See also Shane Duffy. Plenty of press/speculation that he was a target well before the transfer went through last year.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Although the last time a transfer became public like this , (Dwamena) , then a deal was still done. The transfer didn't go ahead as we all know but not because it was leaked (at their end).
Yes but that deal looked really silly from the outside. Way too much money for a Swiss second division player..... IMHO

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
All very worthy and most clubs would offer a similar explanation of the multi million pound formal process of recruitment, but in real life the process is more likely to be a random call from a trusted friend not heard of in a while that comes up with an available player that CH had nearly forgotten about, but due to an ongoing injury to 'whatshisface' this now sows a seed, a couple of calls and youtube highlites he suddenly and quite illogically becomes a prime target and leapfrogs those players with 8 months worth of collated details in the Academy filing cabinet.

TB or CH or both suddenly have a 'good feeling' about this player, he might be the answer and they offer a multi million pound deal and cross their fingers and hope beyond hope that he can find a bit of form and score some goals.

Did Barber tell you that bit ;)

Your mischievous guess, or do you have proof?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
whatever the strategy last time it failed in the key area for some reason and we cant afford the same in January

for some reason ? Blimey.
Here's the reasons according to PB :)

WE HAD PLENTY OF SPENDING MONEY: "we didn’t lose out on players because we couldn’t, or wouldn’t, meet a particular transfer fee or a wage demand; neither did we break our wage structure to secure the players we did bring in."

BAD LUCK:" finances aside, failed medicals are rare – we had 2; players being recalled to their club at the point of signing for another because of an injury/issue affecting a team mate are even more unusual – again, we had 2."

WE DID OUR DUE DILIGENCE: "these issues don’t mean our scouting or due diligence was flawed; quite the opposite. Our medical staff were excellent in detecting unforeseen issues. We’re spending millions of pounds. We won't take risks."

VINCENT JANSSEN DIDN"T FANCY IT "when a player decides not to join a club, it’s often about him wanting to stay with the club he’s at, rather than snubbing the club courting him; the two things are very different, albeit we know the net result is the same. "

NO IT WASN'T TIM KRUL's fault "and, no, we didn’t miss out on a loan striker because we signed a loan GK; we took a conscious decision to take an excellent loan GK when the opportunity arose. "

etc etc

http://www.northstandchat.com/showt...nsfer-Window&p=8109739&viewfull=1#post8109739

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Yes but that deal looked really silly from the outside. Way too much money for a Swiss second division player..... IMHO

But yep, he'd be an Albion player today if it wasn't for the medical. Unhelpful as it was, the deal still went ahead despite the weeks of speculation/public statements etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here