Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How seriously are you taking social distancing?

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
The protests will serve as a pretty good experiment on how susceptible we are to a second wave.

Everything I've read suggests it isn't going to make much difference - the virus doesn't travel well outdoors, infection numbers in the community are pretty low.

We'll find out in a couple of weeks. My prediction is no second wave from beach goers or protesters.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
The protests will serve as a pretty good experiment on how susceptible we are to a second wave.

Everything I've read suggests it isn't going to make much difference - the virus doesn't travel well outdoors, infection numbers in the community are pretty low.

We'll find out in a couple of weeks. My prediction is no second wave from beach goers or protesters.

Lets hope even if there is no second wave individual protesters or beach goers havnt passed it on to other individuals who have in turn passed it on to someone else which results in someone in the chain dying. despite no second wave

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Lets hope even if there is no second wave individual protesters or beach goers havnt passed it on to other individuals who have in turn passed it on to someone else which results in someone in the chain dying. despite no second wave

Agree. Everyone needs to protect the vulnerable. You wouldn't catch me indoors or within 2m of anyone over 60. Wear a mask in confined spaces. Keep washing hands

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
You know how random thoughts come into your head sometimes, well I was thinking about all the rough sleepers who were scooped up by councils and put in hostels.

Clearly many of those homed will have mental health issues and may find it difficult to socially distance indoors.

Would they have been better left where they were, as clearly the advise is it's hard to catch the virus outdoors?

I prepare to get shot down, like I said, it was just a random thought...

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Take the protests out of the equation and it's still being applied less as far as I can see.

Big groups of people drinking on Hove Lawns regularly, a group of 20 or 30 people on the downs yesterday with barely a centimetre between them (and this in crappy weather) plus the beach goers. Our next door neighbour has had three different people in the house over the last three days. People are letting it go.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Take the protests out of the equation and it's still being applied less as far as I can see.

Big groups of people drinking on Hove Lawns regularly, a group of 20 or 30 people on the downs yesterday with barely a centimetre between them (and this in crappy weather) plus the beach goers. Our next door neighbour has had three different people in the house over the last three days. People are letting it go.

Aye..cant disagree with that

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
You know how random thoughts come into your head sometimes, well I was thinking about all the rough sleepers who were scooped up by councils and put in hostels.

Clearly many of those homed will have mental health issues and may find it difficult to socially distance indoors.

Would they have been better left where they were, as clearly the advise is it's hard to catch the virus outdoors?

I prepare to get shot down, like I said, it was just a random thought...

Not just hostels, placed in B&Bs too. One near me filled its rooms with rough sleepers when they locked down from general business. The rough sleeper residents congregated on the outside front steps daily. Early on the police were regular visitors chatting to them, i presume trying to remind them about social distancing. Police visits eventually fizzled out.
I did have a random thought too though, now they have been "housed" by the council what will happen if the B&B and council dont renew the ongoing agreement with each other when the B&B opens for general business again. Do the council have a duty of care to find alternative accommodation considering the council will be making them homeless again?

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Not just hostels, placed in B&Bs too. One near me filled its rooms with rough sleepers when they locked down from general business. The rough sleeper residents congregated on the outside front steps daily. Early on the police were regular visitors chatting to them, i presume trying to remind them about social distancing. Police visits eventually fizzled out.
I did have a random thought too though, now they have been "housed" by the council what will happen if the B&B and council dont renew the ongoing agreement with each other when the B&B opens for general business again. Do the council have a duty of care to find alternative accommodation considering the council will be making them homeless again?

I like random thoughts, I bet the government don't as they could cost a lot of money!!!

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

I saw this on the news a while ago:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52774798

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I saw this on the news a while ago:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52774798

Sounds good in theory doesnt it......somewhat long term though
My random thought was more about the practicalities of the council being even able to re-house rough sleepers in the short term when places like B&B`s open to the public again and their beds are no longer available
Are the council now some sort of duty of care legal provider considering they have actually housed rough sleepers and imminently may be making them homeless too when the agreements they have with private landlords are not renewed.

I have no idea myself on the legality of it, it was just a random thought .
Would be nice to think that out of this crappy virus those rough sleepers that dont choose to be rough sleepers and who are desperate to find housing but could never get in the system will actually find housing or at least be embedded in the system and no longer on its extremities.

Had a friend here locally who fell on hard times, he was sleeping in a tent in the woods in Goring. I asked him to move into my place and sleep on the sofa ( all that was available) but he simply wasnt interested, which i sort of understood. It took ages and he got in the system, first a hostel and then permanent housing. Has got himself back into life fully and has a season ticket at the Amex

There will always be rough sleepers, not much we can do about that, some people sadly will have just given up and dont want to know.
It is though inexcusable governments over decades have not sorted out housing our own rough sleepers (not the same as homeless)

Last edited:

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Sounds good in theory doesnt it......somewhat long term though
My random thought was more about the practicalities of the council being even able to re-house rough sleepers in the short term when places like B&B`s open to the public again and their beds are no longer available
Are the council now some sort of duty of care legal provider considering they have actually housed rough sleepers and imminently may be making them homeless too when the agreements they have with private landlords are not renewed.

I have no idea myself on the legality of it, it was just a random thought .
Would be nice to think that out of this crappy virus those rough sleepers that dont choose to be rough sleepers and who are desperate to find housing but could never get in the system will actually find housing or at least be embedded in the system and no longer on its extremities.

Had a friend here locally who fell on hard times, he was sleeping in a tent in the woods in Goring. I asked him to move into my place and sleep on the sofa ( all that was available) but he simply wasnt interested, which i sort of understood. It took ages and he got in the system, first a hostel and then permanent housing. Has got himself back into life fully and has a season ticket at the Amex

There will always be rough sleepers, not much we can do about that, some people sadly will have just given up and dont want to know.
It is though inexcusable governments over decades have not sorted out housing our own rough sleepers (not the same as homeless)

Having worked in the homelessness sector for a few years I can tell you that the likelihood of even a fraction of the temporarily housed rough sleepers being permanently housed post-lockdown is minimal

There simply aren't enough beds in the city to accommodate the numbers of rough sleepers and this has been the case since rough sleeping numbers started to sky rocket nationally in 2010

Jimmy Grimble

The protests/riots have ended this properly

It’s a waiting game for another week/ten days to see if there is a spike

There will be a lot of scousers who will see it as a green light for when they win the league.

Be interesting to see how that plays out...

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
There will be a lot of scousers who will see it as a green light for when they win the league.

Be interesting to see how that plays out...

With packed beach resorts (when it was sunny) and riots, Liverpool fans will celebrate en masse another trophy. Can't see anything stopping it. By then far more of lockdown would've come to end anyway.

Jimmy Grimble

With packed beach resorts (when it was sunny) and riots, Liverpool fans will celebrate en masse another trophy. Can't see anything stopping it. By then far more of lockdown would've come to end anyway.

Yep. Any attempts the Police make to stop gatherings on the streets will be met with cries of hypocrisy from some quarters.

Who’s to say something similar might not happen here if we survive in last-gasp style on the final day? Clearly not on the same scale but it could happen.

I wouldn’t want to be a copper currently I know that!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yep. Any attempts the Police make to stop gatherings on the streets will be met with cries of hypocrisy from some quarters.

Who’s to say something similar might not happen here if we survive in last-gasp style on the final day? Clearly not on the same scale but it could happen.

I wouldn’t want to be a copper currently I know that!

The best part of 50 police injured in London over the weekend, they have my support.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Sounds like Saturday night is going to be fun, Social Distancing rules relaxed to - 6" , bad luck if you are trying to get some sleep next door.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Shapps said review of 2m rule to be published soon- before 4 July. I would expect it to be ditched in the next few days, or the ditching announced with some warning. He acknowledged that pubs, restaurants etc. Opening 4 July needed notice of the measures which will be in place when they open.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here