Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How seriously are you taking social distancing?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Apart from the gym and a quick run out to get any essentials (most of which I have now anyway) , I’m limiting my outside life to walks on the each and the Downs.
Very similar to yourself.

it's like dealing with a schizophrenic with you. A few minutes ago you were "I’m not turning my life upside down for their benefit. "

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I’ve just been down to M&S for the weeks food shopping - full of oldies carrying on as if nothing has happened. On the way home I go past a small garden centre - car park full and elderly people everywhere.

They clearly haven’t got the message.

M&S (Prestatyn) was stocked as normal as far as I could see.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
it's like dealing with a schizophrenic with you. A few minutes ago you were "I’m not turning my life upside down for their benefit. "

I’m not. Nor am I being irresponsible. Is it really that hard a concept to grasp?

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I thought about giving the gym up yesterday, a bit of a wobble. The I reminded myself I am young, fit and healthy. Covid 19 poses very little threat to me and if the vulnerable take advice and self isolate I’m not threat to them.
So I shall continue with my routine as long as things remain open. Gym today followed by a walk and afternoon tea out with friends.
I admit, I wobbled yesterday evening but in the cold light of day, there is no need to isolate for the vast, vast majority of people.
Remember, for the vast majority this poses no threat. If the vulnerable refuse to self isolate there’s not much we can do but get out there, live your life.

This has to be a :fishing: otherwise you must be a :wanker:

I can only assume you have no friends or relatives that you care for that may fit into the vulnerable group, since you seem more than happy to pass this virus on to anyone you may come into contact with.

You seem to have misunderstood the purpose of social distancing - it's not only about protecting yourself from contracting the virus but also to reduce / slow the virus propagation.

You seem to be carefree about catching it and even less about passing it on - #shameful

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
This has to be a :fishing: otherwise you must be a :wanker:

I can only assume you have no friends or relatives that you care for that may fit into the vulnerable group, since you seem more than happy to pass this virus on to anyone you may come into contact with.

You seem to have misunderstood the purpose of social distancing - it's not only about protecting yourself from contracting the virus but also to reduce / slow the virus propagation.

Read my other posts in the thread.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Apart from the gym and a quick run out to get any essentials (most of which I have now anyway) , I’m limiting my outside life to walks on the each and the Downs.
Very similar to yourself.

I think the gym is a weird one not to be, er, clamped, down on. Short of buying those macho professional gloves, you're touching the apparatus of all those who used it before you. By the end of a day, probably a hundred people will have touched it. Gut feel is thay gyms should be closed down for now. Most gym junkies could just go running instead. My own gym Withdean, is run by Freedom Leisure whose message is we're open for business, we'll wipe down the apparatus a bit more often, please use the hand sanitizer. Oh, and above all please keep giving hs your money because we're a not-for-profit community asset. Fair enough, I'll keep my direct debit going for the next month, after which time they'll just have to suck up the drop in income like everybody else. Hopefully they'll be instructed to close down for the greater good long before then

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I think the gym is a weird one not to be, er, clamped, down on. Short of buying those macho professional gloves, you're touching the apparatus of all those who used it before you. By the end of a day, probably a hundred people will have touched it. Gut feel is thay gyms should be closed down for now. Most gym junkies could just go running instead. My own gym Withdean, is run by Freedom Leisure whose message is we're open for business, we'll wipe down the apparatus a bit more often, please use the hand sanitizer. Oh, and above all please keep giving hs your money because we're a not-for-profit community asset. Fair enough, I'll keep my direct debit going for the next month, after which time they'll just have to suck up the drop in income like everybody else. Hopefully they'll be instructed to close down for the greater good long before then

Agreed - gyms shut in the US and most of the rest of Europe. Go outside for a run/walk............fresh air will do anyone good.................

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I’m guessing that you are just looking for a reaction but this Mike Gooley sounds pretty unpleasant. If he can’t find it within himself to care about some of the most vulnerable people in society then that says it all about him and I guess elements in Western society. Very different from Asian cultures.
We are staying at home and social distancing, partly for our own protection but also thinking of elderly neighbors in the village.

Actually a very pleasant guy, and as I pointed out to another poster he is in his 80s so his remarks about oldies nearing the end of very long lives is one he can personally relate to.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I thought about giving the gym up yesterday, a bit of a wobble. The I reminded myself I am young, fit and healthy. Covid 19 poses very little threat to me and if the vulnerable take advice and self isolate I’m not threat to them.
So I shall continue with my routine as long as things remain open. Gym today followed by a walk and afternoon tea out with friends.
I admit, I wobbled yesterday evening but in the cold light of day, there is no need to isolate for the vast, vast majority of people.
Remember, for the vast majority this poses no threat. If the vulnerable refuse to self isolate there’s not much we can do but get out there, live your life.

Well said. Sitting around moping for weeks and months is the worst thing to do. Just get on with your life a say "**** you" to coronavirus. We need more people with your attitude.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Well said. Sitting around moping for weeks and months is the worst thing to do. Just get on with your life a say "**** you" to coronavirus. We need more people with your attitude.

No-one is suggesting sitting around moping. I will be growing vegetables in the garden and going for runs on Ilkley Moor personally. But not with other people.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Tesco Express on Dyke Road have posters asking customers to keep 1metre apart and black tape on the floor infront of the checkouts so people stand behind the tape. I tried to follow this - asking the teenager behind me just out of BHASVIC to take a step back. I was ignored , everyone was ignoring the info and the staff were not prompting people. Humans are basically a stupid race.

Note to self - don't go up there at busy times!

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Do your previous posts indicate you work in adult social care? If so, your posts worry me re your lack of understanding re infection control.

There’s no need to worry. I’ve jacked in the gym. So now I’m going out for food when required , work and exercise. So you can all relax. Nothing to see here.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
I guess if people are not going to bother following guidance on social distancing then the next step is to enforce it with more restrictions as they have had to do abroad.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I guess if people are not going to bother following guidance on social distancing then the next step is to enforce it with more restrictions as they have had to do abroad.

I tried keeping my distance at Asda this afternoon, people are just oblivious. Mainly old folk. Holding hands with each other, pestering and poking staff, coming up behind me in the queue, reaching over me to get to things.
I can’t see how this will be controlled without it being enforced by security/police/army.
The government seriously needs to enforce a lockdown on over 65’s. I reckon easily 89/90 % of the customers were that age or above.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Screenshot 2020-03-18 at 10.30.05.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here