Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] "How Roberto De Zerbi is changing the mentality of Brighton"

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
I don’t like where this is heading. Just before Potter was coaxed from us the mainstream media started to wake up to what was happening here and report in depth on it. Back then it seemed to be believed that it was largely down to Potter, hence that yank prick opening his wallet.
I think now there is a common belief that the club as a whole is responsible, but the manager is still hugely central. Stats like above and growing plaudits for the “we’re f***ing brilliant” style under RDZ mean the same groundswell is going to reoccur. Which worries me when you’ve got clubs like Spurs who are playing shit football, a growing number of their fans don’t like their manager and their manager is a moody twat. The obvious next step is the lazy look to the south coast to our next shiny thing.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
I don’t like where this is heading. Just before Potter was coaxed from us the mainstream media started to wake up to what was happening here and report in depth on it. Back then it seemed to be believed that it was largely down to Potter, hence that yank prick opening his wallet.
I think now there is a common belief that the club as a whole is responsible, but the manager is still hugely central. Stats like above and growing plaudits for the “we’re f***ing brilliant” style under RDZ mean the same groundswell is going to reoccur. Which worries me when you’ve got clubs like Spurs who are playing shit football, a growing number of their fans don’t like their manager and their manager is a moody twat. The obvious next step is the lazy look to the south coast to our next shiny thing.
The best way to avert that problem is to be in a position to offer something those envious clubs can't.

If we can pick up another 10 wins from 17 matches, next season we might be playing on Wednesday nights, not Thursday.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
It's quite possible that clubs will look at Potter's time at Chelsea so far and not be so quick to go down the same route. Clearly there's no rational reason for Roberto to also struggle at A. N. Other 'big club', but it might trigger a few faint alarm bells.

Getting the team into Europe and then competing on all fronts next season might make it a different story, however. But then, RDZ's replacement has probably already been identified and will, hopefully, carry on with the upward momentum...

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
What's clear from that article is that RdZ likes building out from the back, and saw in BHA the players with the experience and ability to do that. Look at Spurs' keeper(s) and defenders. They're really not that good. RdZ would need major resurgery to that area in order to implement his style of play. Doubt they could afford prising him out of our hands, and buying the necessary players. I'm less worried about Spurs in short. City or Liverpool, on the other hand...

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
RDZ's enthusiasm has rubbed off on the players and the fanbase. Club's totally revitalised. It's no longer about endlessly playing the ball around the back to make the possession stats look good in order to make the head coach look good. We've moved on from that cheap trick onto something pretty bloomin' good :clap:

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
What's clear from that article is that RdZ likes building out from the back, and saw in BHA the players with the experience and ability to do that. Look at Spurs' keeper(s) and defenders. They're really not that good. RdZ would need major resurgery to that area in order to implement his style of play. Doubt they could afford prising him out of our hands, and buying the necessary players. I'm less worried about Spurs in short. City or Liverpool, on the other hand...
plus I'm pretty sure it was reported that potter had turned down spurs at one point or another. I think RDZ would leave for a top, top job at a club that has a realistic chance of competing on all fronts for all trophies. that is not spurs, as you say.

AlexBH

Nov 19, 2017
I agree the club as a whole is the reason for where we are today. Yes Potter would have been central to that, but we’ve been building the infrastructure in the background for a number of years now with the building of the training ground, the youth set up, the scouting, DOF/sporting director, the stadium, all the coaches, physio’s, fitness coaches, analysts etc. and the women’s team is being done professionally as well, it’s all of these things that got us to where we are. Now that we’re doing well, this is the crucial point of it all where RDZ has come in and can help take us to the next level. We either become a selling club like Southampton and lose all our best players and then make a series of poor managerial and recruitment decisions and then slowly descent or we come up with a plan for when the big clubs come calling for our best players and manager, even if that means we have to let them go we line up replacements, the key will be how long we can sustain this for. Sadly I think we may eventually end up where Southampton are, in terms of the size of the clubs we are both quite similar in that regard. I hope I am proven wrong in time, but I am confident that we at least seem to have some sort of plan for the future even if it doesn’t work out.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I agree the club as a whole is the reason for where we are today. Yes Potter would have been central to that, but we’ve been building the infrastructure in the background for a number of years now with the building of the training ground, the youth set up, the scouting, DOF/sporting director, the stadium, all the coaches, physio’s, fitness coaches, analysts etc. and the women’s team is being done professionally as well, it’s all of these things that got us to where we are. Now that we’re doing well, this is the crucial point of it all where RDZ has come in and can help take us to the next level. We either become a selling club like Southampton and lose all our best players and then make a series of poor managerial and recruitment decisions and then slowly descent or we come up with a plan for when the big clubs come calling for our best players and manager, even if that means we have to let them go we line up replacements, the key will be how long we can sustain this for. Sadly I think we may eventually end up where Southampton are, in terms of the size of the clubs we are both quite similar in that regard. I hope I am proven wrong in time, but I am confident that we at least seem to have some sort of plan for the future even if it doesn’t work out.
tl;dr

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here