Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How on earth is this deemed racist ?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I'd like to know what the beggar himself thought of it all. Probably the least of his worries I should think.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
How is it a " non story" ? There has been an investigation Launched and some poor sod may well lose his job.

I would sack or at least discipline him as well - Not under the banner of racism though.

The action to me suggests more about the tannoy announcer than the man begging - Someone looking to publicly humiliate someone down on their luck or less fortunate than others around them just to get some cheap laughs or a pat on the back from his colleagues.

And before anyone asks ''No I don't think that begging is OK'' I think it can be very threatening to some people but there would have been procedures in place by the company for dealing with such matters and he did not follow those procedures so in effect he did not follow company policy and for that he deserves to be disciplined

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Maybe he was just explaining a cultural difference between the two nations?

Yeah, you're right. I never see any Brits begging.

Racist no. Completely unprofessional, yes.

Once again, we're in another red herring debate about the meaning of the word, when I think anyone with half a brain would agree what was said was poor judgement.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Perhaps instead of punitive measures they could do a job swap for a couple of days. Learn the pressures of each other's respective vocations? Let's turn this into a learning opportunity. Nations reaching out to understand one-another. Beautiful.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
There's no reference by the operator that they deemed it racist.

The customer service guy said: "We are aware a member of our staff made a tannoy announcement at Wallsend Metro station which may be deemed inappropriate."

If you look at other reports of it, no one they've interviewed said it's racist. here's a link, there are others too.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news...investigating-after-claims-announcer-12182185

The paper has added the racist bit and it's instigated a load of virtue signalling by the jingoism isn't racism gang and I've no doubt that a bunch of SJWs will be all over it too.

Post-fact clickbait.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
It's not racist unless the person was a different race. But it's equally unacceptable. Better?

It's not so much that but rather the idea that someone is thick for being able to see through what at first glance looks racist to some but actually isn't. I'd have thought that sort of thought process showed a deeper level of intelligence, but maybe I'm wrong here.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Just looked at the Oxford Dictionary definition of race and the non pedantically correct racists win again. This is certainly not a case of a competition between men, horses or vehicles. Shall we start a petition on Facebook? Have a minute's applause tomorrow night?

Love it. Great ideology, I hope it catches on. Pedantic correctism has a nice ring to it.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
There's no reference by the operator that they deemed it racist.

The customer service guy said: "We are aware a member of our staff made a tannoy announcement at Wallsend Metro station which may be deemed inappropriate."

If you look at other reports of it, no one they've interviewed said it's racist. here's a link, there are others too.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news...investigating-after-claims-announcer-12182185

The paper has added the racist bit and it's instigated a load of virtue signalling by the jingoism isn't racism gang and I've no doubt that a bunch of SJWs will be all over it too.

Post-fact clickbait.

Exactly. It's just the paper trying to stir up feelings in what they think is in line with current public opinion on the left and right.
Anyone with half a brain can read between the lines. It's a pity people seem to have abandoned rational thought at the moment.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
I hate that word. Anyway, the papers have got it wrong. It wasn't the OED's new word of the year.

I thought it was post-truth?

Personally I think it's good. So much stuff these days is emotively charged and reactionary which is then used to stir up faux outrage. I like facts.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I thought it was post-truth?

Personally I think it's good. So much stuff these days is emotively charged and reactionary which is then used to stir up faux outrage. I like facts.

Post-fact/post-truth - the same thing. I think they are buzz words that people use without it really meaning anything but it's a quick way to shut down debate. If you mean lies then just say lies.

See also "neo-liberalism". A phrase used by the same people that say 'post-truth'. I'm with Kristian Niemietz on this and automatically discount anyone's opinion when they start bandying around that word. Paul Mason' wrote a best-selling book about it and here's his circular definition:

"By neoliberalism I mean the global capitalist system shaped around a core of neoliberal practices and institutions, themselves guided by a widespread and spontaneously reproduced ideology, and ruled by an elite which acts in a neoliberal way, whatever conflciting and moderating ideas it holds in its head."

In other words, neo-liberalism is what neo-liberals do when acting in a neo-liberal way. Utter tummy rot but it makes for good headlines in The Canary and other online talking shops.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
It must be racist. The thread has been moved to the naughty corner with all the other s***e. If the cricket carries on as it is, that thread might as well join it.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Yeah, you're right. I never see any Brits begging.

Racist no. Completely unprofessional, yes.

Once again, we're in another red herring debate about the meaning of the word, when I think anyone with half a brain would agree what was said was poor judgement.

Poor judgement is a subjective matter however. You need a full brain to detect that.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
How is it a " non story" ? There has been an investigation Launched and some poor sod may well lose his job.

I would have thought he would get wrap on the knuckles for making an inappropriate comment over the speaker system, maybe a warning if it is not the first time.

IF (BIG if) he loses his job over this then I world agree it is somewhat newsworthy, however as this so far hasn't happened perhaps you should save your hysteria until it does.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
It's not so much that but rather the idea that someone is thick for being able to see through what at first glance looks racist to some but actually isn't. I'd have thought that sort of thought process showed a deeper level of intelligence, but maybe I'm wrong here.

It's a different level of intelligence, for sure.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Post-fact/post-truth - the same thing. I think they are buzz words that people use without it really meaning anything but it's a quick way to shut down debate. If you mean lies then just say lies.

See also "neo-liberalism". A phrase used by the same people that say 'post-truth'. I'm with Kristian Niemietz on this and automatically discount anyone's opinion when they start bandying around that word. Paul Mason' wrote a best-selling book about it and here's his circular definition:

"By neoliberalism I mean the global capitalist system shaped around a core of neoliberal practices and institutions, themselves guided by a widespread and spontaneously reproduced ideology, and ruled by an elite which acts in a neoliberal way, whatever conflciting and moderating ideas it holds in its head."

In other words, neo-liberalism is what neo-liberals do when acting in a neo-liberal way. Utter tummy rot but it makes for good headlines in The Canary and other online talking shops.

I Paul Masons stuff.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I Paul Masons stuff.

Love? Hate? Tolerate? Laugh at?

His star does seem to be in the wain since that sneaky eavesdropping onto his conversation about Corbyn in that cafe. And what happened to his promise of daily updates of news that the MSM was too afraid to publish?

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Love? Hate? Tolerate? Laugh at?

His star does seem to be in the wain since that sneaky eavesdropping onto his conversation about Corbyn in that cafe. And what happened to his promise of daily updates of news that the MSM was too afraid to publish?

hahahaha LIKE his stuff.

Well I'm hoping he doesn't become a left leaning UK version of Alex Jones.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here