Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] How on earth in anyone's world is this worth only 16 months ?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Who believes in rehabilitation? Successive governments, yes, but not the majority of the population. Rehabilitation doesn't work - we are one of the 10 countries with the highest rehabilitation rates in the world. I agree that harsh sentences don't seem to act as a deterrent either. So I say forget rehabilitation, just lock em up to keep me and mine safe. And don't give 'em any creature comforts. Make them suffer like the ones they cause suffering to.

Not sure that makes sense. Assume you mean we have one of the highest re-offending rates!

As for locking them up, how long for? And if you mean a very long time, how many extra prisons do you think we need to build and are you happy to fund them as a tax payer? There is a balance to find.

The guy is scum but difficult to judge properly without knowing any back story, eg first offence etc. I assume without the guilty plea he would have 32 months.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
A largely 'non violent' crime!
It was her own fault she didn't let go of the handbag! I've read some bollox on this forum over the years but this is a new low.

If you're referring to my post, that is neither what I said or I intended to say.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
I don’t really want shitheads in prison dealing out punishments on behalf of me or any certain type of the populace. Unless of course you think they deserve that right........ to dish out their own justice. Like they of all people have earnt that privilege RossyG

Put it this way... I don’t like people who get into drunken fights and end up imprisoned for GBH.

But on the other hand, I don’t like young thugs who attack old people. I think they deserve a punch.

If the former is the one who punches the latter... well, beggars can’t be choosers.

It’s not like the GBH yob will be given any privileges as a result. He might even lose some. If so, win win.

Your mileage may vary, of course, and I can understand why you’d have misgivings about this.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I see more empathy on this thread for the offender than the victim.
Bizarre.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

Put it this way... I don’t like people who get into drunken fights and end up imprisoned for GBH.

But on the other hand, I don’t like young thugs who attack old people. I think they deserve a punch.

If the former is the one who punches the latter... well, beggars can’t be choosers.

It’s not like the GBH yob will be given any privileges as a result. He might even lose some. If so, win win.

Your mileage may vary, of course, and I can understand why you’d have misgivings about this.

I take your points on board. Maybe we can have them fighting off in a prizefighter type competition and let ‘sport’ be the winner.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Few points.

Even IF he does 7 months on good behaviour, 7 months is still a hell of a long time in prison. We believe in rehabilitation in this country, something to be proud of, and evidence shows that longer sentences often results in an increased likelihood in reoffending.Secondly, I agree some of our laws need modernising, but although despicable this was largely a non-violent crime. I'm not sure what kind of sentencing people expect. 16 months when confessing guilty is a lot more than what many get for similar or sometimes worse cases of robbery.

Finally, your "thousands in prison for minor drug crimes" is nonsense. Even possession of Class A's very rarely results in jail sentences - only notorious repeat offenders and dealers are in jail for drug crimes.

People really need to be careful what they wish for when it comes to desiring harsher laws. Although it can be satisfying seeing crimes being punished harshly, it is not for the greater good.

Might that have something to do with the fact that longer sentences are given for more serious crimes and the type of people involved in this, may just not be too bothered about re-offending.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
Would it be inappropriate to suggest a public flogging instead of any prison sentence?

I'd be quietly confident that the probability of a repeat offence would be lower?

But maybe a bit too old fashioned for some?

It most certainly would not! 100 lashes with a barbed wire flail and then immersion in a barrel of near-boiling brine. That'd do it!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Would it be inappropriate to suggest a public flogging instead of any prison sentence?

I'd be quietly confident that the probability of a repeat offence would be lower?

There is only once sentence that 100% guarantees no re-offending - and I don't think you'll find much support for its re-introduction on here!

(And not much anywhere else either).

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013

I've been assaulted on 2 occasions, losing teeth on both occasions, going all the way to crown court in one case with 3 witnesses. They got away free.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here