How much would you care if Pompey went bust?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I'll be upset if they DON'T go bust tbh. Any sympathy I have for the TEMPORARY upset this would cause the Pompey fans (as ultimately they would simply go and support the phoenix club) is outweighed by a sense of 'for the good of football'. Clubs continually taking the piss like they do, to the extent that even now they refuse to make even the slightest attempt to help themselves (by selling or releasing their expensive players) are not doing football any good at all.

Exactly. They signed Liam Lawrence and Dave Kitson when they still had massive debts - and their supporters look the other way. They won't go bust, of course. But if ever a club deserved to ...

Still bitter then Nick.
Quite agree though; paying off the CVA at 20% over five ****ing years which means HMRC having to write off 80% of the £37m Pompey Mk I owed them. The "new" owner provides money for them to buy Kitson, Lawrence etc and what happens: the owner is "found out", holding company goes into administration and HMRC doesn't get paid again (£800k/pm). And don't start me on that lot in SE25 - individual creditors (ie pre-paid STH's) voting for a 1.9% CVA and then, when it's all approved, mysteriously getting their tickets honoured.
Sorry, this has to stop.

SICKASAGULL

Aug 26, 2007
After our experience of nearly going out of business and the support we received from many other clubs supporters I hope we do not see any club go bust,particularly our local rivals.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
We, after all we have been through, should be the first to support another team's fans and the very real prospect of their club being run into the ground by mismanagement - even if it is Pompey!

The club belongs to the fans and while I have sympathy for the businesses who look like being hit AGAIN by this, I really hope Portsmouth FC gets back on an even keel with proper fans at the helm (excuse the nortical pun there).

Makes you realise how lucky we are to have Bloom.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Still bitter then Nick.
Quite agree though; paying off the CVA at 20% over five ****ing years which means HMRC having to write off 80% of the £37m Pompey Mk I owed them. The "new" owner provides money for them to buy Kitson, Lawrence etc and what happens: the owner is "found out", holding company goes into administration and HMRC doesn't get paid again (£800k/pm). And don't start me on that lot in SE25 - individual creditors (ie pre-paid STH's) voting for a 1.9% CVA and then, when it's all approved, mysteriously getting their tickets honoured.
Sorry, this has to stop.
Absolutely right. I find I'm getting increasingly irritated by the well-meaning but clueless types who say "No one wants to see a club go bust". Even worse are the ones who try and draw parallels between Portsmouth today and us back in the 1990s. That's like comparing the deaths of Adolf Hitler and Princess Di. (One of course was a much-loved and charismatic national figure - and the other was married to Prince Charles)

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
They had a chance to try and ship out some high earners and offers from Ipswich for players, they decided to keep hold off them. Obviously to try and stay in this division. Players that they can not afford - the joke goes on and on.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
They had a chance to try and ship out some high earners and offers from Ipswich for players, they decided to keep hold off them. Obviously to try and stay in this division. Players that they can not afford - the joke goes on and on.

This

To which I would add their apparent plan B I wonder about. Their fans simply don't get it, they said on tv they believe a "big" club like them should be able to start again in L2 or at the very least Conference level. Ideas above their station. If plan B was to happen they should start at a low point just like Wimbledon.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
They need a strict chairman and manager when it comes to balancing the books. The fans also need to lower their expectations.

Would I LIKE to see them go bust? NO
Would I care? A little (Saints may end up hating us instead of Pompey and I couldn't cope with a three way rivalry, also they are part of the "football family" - no one likes all their family but you don't want them dead)
Would I hope that many teams learn from them? Yes
Will they rise from the Ashes? Almost certainly!

Pompey FC is dead, Long live AFC Pompey?

Sent by the power of squirrel poo

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Agree with Mellotron the need to start with a clean slate. If that means as a phoenix club AFC Portsmouth in div six of the Hampshire and District league then so be it.

Plust as said on another thread their fans are not doing alot. Where are the "not a rich mans plaything protests" why are they not camped o/s FL HQ demanding ROBUST fit and proper persons test etc etc.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I hope they go bust as they deserve it.I find it funny that the pompey fans know they how bad things are yet decide that having kitson and lawrence earning 20k a week a peice is normal,the fans could of done something about this but they didn,t.

Why are pompey so well protected?and why haven't they had points deducted yet?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Let them re-invent themselves as AFC Portsmouth or merge with Havant & Waterlooville

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
How long will it be before thay are in admin again - the FA has been mute over the parent company going bust - please relegate them and give them a 30pt deduction for next season.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Don't care, except that it could cost us three points. Sounds harsh, but f*** them - they've had too many chances.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
When we were in the same boat, and HMRC were threatening to padlock the gates of the Goldstone, we sold one of our best players (Beeney) to keep the wolf from the door.

Portsmouth lost any last drop of sympathy yesterday, when they turned down offers, and failed to shift out any of their high earners.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Let them re-invent themselves as AFC Portsmouth or merge with Havant & Waterlooville

On south today a couple of days ago, a load of Pompey fans were making plans for this to happen...ie afc Portsmouth

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Think it'll probably be the best thing for the fans if they start again with a clean slate, actually.

I bet they don`t pay the supplier of the slate his money though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports