How much of the problem is down to Tony Bloom?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
If any Brighton fan had £200m in their back pocket they would have done as well as Bloom has done, but not many people could have done the job that DK did.

Yes good old Brutus, his work hasn't come without great reward.

Sometimes when people run things by themselves they become blinkered so it is good to have someone you can bounce off. The only people Bloom now works with are the yes men he employs.

spot on

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
As I've elaborated on above, the Amex sponsorship was far from a done deal until TB's chairmanship.

With regards to the DW sacking, I've heard from more than one source that DK was briefing people as far back as 6 months before Wilkins was sacked (immediately after the Hammond contract debacle), telling them DW would be gone at the end of the season no matter what. Now, all managers have run-ins with players - ALL managers, at Brighton, at Man U, at England, at Barcelona. Wilkins man-management skills can't have been too bad because he took a squad of youth teamers and got us to 7th when he was sacked. You don't pull off that sort of miracle if you have seriously bad relationship with your team. I'm not saying Wilkins was the easiest manager to deal with but I've also heard from more than one source that DW's attempts to turn the focus and control of sections of the club towards the first team and away from DK was not welcomed (and that's putting it diplomatically). As with all of these things, the truth probably lies buried somewhere in the middle.

Whatever the reasons, DK sacked a man who bled blue and white, who had stuck with us through our hardest times, who had given us some fantastic homegrown talent and replaced him with someone who, if he hadn't been sacked would have taken us down to League Two.

But I'll reiterate, aside from the DW sacking, DK was a quite brilliant chairman but his tenure was in a different time with a different type of club.

It may have been 7th place but it was quite a few points off the playoffs. There were senior players who were completely ignored, who could possibly have got us into the playoffs had they been used instead of the youth teamers.

It's all water under the bridge now, of course, but he has been employed as a coach rather than a manager ever since, which is where his strengths lie.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Well, I've just got in and waded through this thread. To save anyone else the hassle, here is the summary:

People don't like losing so we should sack everyone associated with the current regime as they're not as good as the old lot.

Ah, but that is only half the equation. We also then need to replace them with people with more money, better contacts, and guaranteed to never drop another point on the pitch. It really is that simple.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
And also it was a team you could connect with thanks to their loyalty through coming up through the ranks unlike this revolving door loan policy right now

Whilst completely ignoring loyal players like Gary Hart and Guy Butters.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
And also it was a team you could connect with thanks to their loyalty through coming up through the ranks unlike this revolving door loan policy right now
But that's not really the case is it.

We had a bottom 2 division team of players coming up through the ranks because there was nobody else.
There was no money in any aspect of the club to improve that situation.

Hammond and Zamora are the only players from that generation to consistently play in the top 2 divisions.
Anyone saying Harding can do one!!
We certainly weren't going to generate £15+m in transfers from those squads.

We were unable to sustain one season in the championship, let alone 3.

It's quite clear you can have local yoof or you can have top two division football, but for the time being at least you can't have both.

Yeah, what do I know?

But technically, TB's first sacking was Russell Slade.

With the possible exception of Dean Wilkins, Bloom has been responsible for the sacking of every manager since (and including) McGhee. Would be good if you stop wasting everyone's time with your "technically" semantics, it just gets in the way of an honest discussion - and that goes double given your cute little insider knowledge boast :)

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
If any Brighton fan had £200m in their back pocket they would have done as well as Bloom has done, but not many people could have done the job that DK did.

Yes good old Brutus, his work hasn't come without great reward.

Sometimes when people run things by themselves they become blinkered so it is good to have someone you can bounce off. The only people Bloom now works with are the yes men he employs.
Is this the same dick knight that left a huge debt of millions behind for bloom to pick up?
The same man that had the begging bowls out time and time again?
The same man who couldn't wait to get on the pitch at the Withdean to fill his ego?
The same man who got saved by blooms money and saved his blushes as debts mounted?

You have to realise that knight was pretty potless and spent just over a million in around 10 years at the club and all the losses (millions) were mounting up as every year went by at the withdean.
You are saying that anybody would do what bloom has done if they had 200 million...What utter clap trap you talk.The easiest task by a million miles was knight taking over us as he had nothing to lose.He clearly didn't have the finances himself to get us through two seasons nevermind the debt ridden 10 seasons.
Most of the hard work and dedication was done by the fans chipping in and marching and protesting...Knight obviously contributed as he took over the club and done what anyone would've done and that was to move us back to brighton.

Would the club have gone bust without knight?very unlikely as somebody normally always saves the day:wink:

Im fed up with these old school supporters living in the past trying to worship knight...Knight was saved from embarrassment and we had more debt when he stood down than when we lost the goldstone.

Bloom is head & shoulders above knight and it's no comparison what's so ever:clap2:

Dick done his bit im well aware,but knight was out of his depth running our club and that stupid BHA crest that cropped up at the withdean summed up his tacky ego.

Respect knight,but don't make him out to be what you think he was:annoyed:

Last edited:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
If any Brighton fan had £200m in their back pocket they would have done as well as Bloom has done

What an absolute load of utter rubbish. You clearly have absolutely no idea what the hell you are talking about.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Ok maybe if you had £200m you would have made a right hash of it.

Are you seriously suggesting that every Brighton fan has the business acumen and experience to run a multi-million pound company? Seriously?

I've read some shit on here but that is really something else.

We'd have been through about eighteen managers at the Amex and been in administration five times if half of our fans had been in charge.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Oh, get off your high horse!

Are you seriously suggesting that every Brighton fan has the business acumen and experience to run a multi-million pound company? Seriously?
Suggesting EVERY Brighton fan could have done better with £200million to spend would have done better is OTT, but........

I've read some shit on here but that is really something else.
I'm still reading some.....

We'd have been through about eighteen managers at the Amex and been in administration five times if half of our fans had been in charge.
Yes, some might have done that, but I think you're exaggerating. Some of us....indeed, many of us, wouldn't have done as well as TB, that's for sure. TB has done great for Brighton - I'm grateful to him for that, and so, I guess, is everybody else who supports the club.....BUT in the competition to see who can spend £200 million on Brighton and Hove Albion to the best effect he was the only runner. Who's to say that IF somebody else had £200 million to spend, they might have made different decisions, decisions which wouldn't have us in the relegation places in this league? OK, not me, and not you - but somebody might have.

I'm fully team TB, but something has obviously and seriously gone wrong at this moment in time. To deride those who debate what and why it has gone wrong is ridiculous. I hope (and I believe) that TB will take steps to remedy the situation - after all, he is where the buck stops. But until then, we'll continue to discuss, mostly not talking shit, what has gone wrong at the moment.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
As,an outsider my opinion will probably be roundly abused on here, but I'm astounded that there is any negativity about Bloom on here. He has payed for miracles, and its happened. Your back playing in Brighton, you've a stadium that is apparently one of the best new ones out there, you're back in the second tier of football and have had successive near misses at promotion to the premier league. Just think back, what is it four years? Sitting there in the pissing rain getting soaked.

You ungratefull barstards. :)

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
If someone has the nous to make over £200m I would suggest they would be very shrewd at running a business, so your statement doesn't really hold up.

Well yeah, if they had made £200 million that's a different story. I took it to mean that any one of us could have done as good a job if handed £200 million on a plate.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Oh, get off your high horse!

Suggesting EVERY Brighton fan could have done better with £200million to spend would have done better is OTT, but........

I'm still reading some.....

Yes, some might have done that, but I think you're exaggerating. Some of us....indeed, many of us, wouldn't have done as well as TB, that's for sure. TB has done great for Brighton - I'm grateful to him for that, and so, I guess, is everybody else who supports the club.....BUT in the competition to see who can spend £200 million on Brighton and Hove Albion to the best effect he was the only runner. Who's to say that IF somebody else had £200 million to spend, they might have made different decisions, decisions which wouldn't have us in the relegation places in this league? OK, not me, and not you - but somebody might have.

I'm fully team TB, but something has obviously and seriously gone wrong at this moment in time. To deride those who debate what and why it has gone wrong is ridiculous. I hope (and I believe) that TB will take steps to remedy the situation - after all, he is where the buck stops. But until then, we'll continue to discuss, mostly not talking shit, what has gone wrong at the moment.

We seem to be arguing the same point, I didn't say nobody could have done better, I said that to suggest anyone could have done it was ridiculous.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
As,an outsider my opinion will probably be roundly abused on here, but I'm astounded that there is any negativity about Bloom on here. He has payed for miracles, and its happened. Your back playing in Brighton, you've a stadium that is apparently one of the best new ones out there, you're back in the second tier of football and have had successive near misses at promotion to the premier league. Just think back, what is it four years? Sitting there in the pissing rain getting soaked.

You ungratefull barstards. :)
F**K OFF YOU F******G C**T AND KEEP YOUR F*****G OPINION TO YOURSELF ! :smile:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports