Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How much of the problem is down to Tony Bloom?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Such a tragic waste of a golden opportunity; we never turned up for the second leg of the semi-final, Watford never turned up for the final. Palace almost got promoted by default.

Absolutely. That's the play-offs though. It should have been out year, but we ****ed it up.

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
No - but he started without two wingers didn't he! As for his CV he had fallen out so badly with Bloom he didn't give a flying fvck about his CV - his ego (rightly!) always knew he would get another job sooner or later!

As he did for most of the season which got us to 4th in the first place

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Bloom is having to tread a fine line. Obviously he's never going to publically trash Hyypia or Burke or the tatty squad thats been thrown together over the last 6-12 months. But privately, he must be squirming at the way this season is panning out. His comments a few weeks ago about it being a squad capable of challenging for the top 6 were jarring because they were patently SO far wide of the mark, and smacked heavily of either complacency, delusion, or fingers-in-the-ears lalalalala. Frankly it insulted the intelligence. We know what we're watching, the results don't lie. We've not been unfortunate or unlucky this season, we're not 3rd bottom by accident. The squad has been dismantled, the replacements are inferior, we're plugging gaps with multiple loans because the summer targets we signed aren't up to it, and two consecutive seasons of managerial upheavel has taken its toll.

I think Bloom has painted himself into a corner with Hyypia. His intentions are good, but his plan isn't working. Is he going to be big enough to hold up his hands and make a big decision soon ? Or are we ploughing on like this regardless ? If he doesn't make a change in the manager, the recruitment structure, or both, then I think we know where this is looking increasingly likely to end. Its unthinkable, but its staring us in the face.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
If that header from Barnes had gone an inch lower then none of these idiotic conspiracy theories would have ever been spoken about. We lost to Palace because they were better than us on the night, simple as that.

Don't forget we failed to score over 180 mins. I am not suggesting that Poyet deliberately threw the game, far from it, but we didn't set up with the right mentality over both legs. Maybe Gus thought it was going to be easy after we beat Palace in March and he just told the players to play the way we have been doing all season.

Regarding the rumour of him turning up late that evening, if true, was a massive mistake.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Don't forget we failed to score over 180 mins. I am not suggesting that Poyet deliberately threw the game, far from it, but we didn't set up with the right mentality over both legs. Maybe Gus thought it was going to be easy after we beat Palace in March and he just told the players to play the way we have been doing all season.

Regarding the rumour of him turning up late that evening, if true, was a massive mistake.

Everyone seemed to think it was going to be easy, I'm pretty sure that's what the problem was.

I also thought the rumour about him turning up late had been proved to be bullshit?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Everyone seemed to think it was going to be easy, I'm pretty sure that's what the problem was.

I also thought the rumour about him turning up late had been proved to be bullshit?

The walk in the park attitude can only come from the manager. The effort was dire over the both games until we were 1 down. We were set up for a game of chess not football.

I don't know if turning up late has been proved to be bullshit? The only way we would know for sure is if the club denied or confirmed this.

Last edited:

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Bloom is having to tread a fine line. Obviously he's never going to publically trash Hyypia or Burke or the tatty squad thats been thrown together over the last 6-12 months. But privately, he must be squirming at the way this season is panning out. His comments a few weeks ago about it being a squad capable of challenging for the top 6 were jarring because they were patently SO far wide of the mark, and smacked heavily of either complacency, delusion, or fingers-in-the-ears lalalalala. Frankly it insulted the intelligence. We know what we're watching, the results don't lie. We've not been unfortunate or unlucky this season, we're not 3rd bottom by accident. The squad has been dismantled, the replacements are inferior, we're plugging gaps with multiple loans because the summer targets we signed aren't up to it, and two consecutive seasons of managerial upheavel has taken its toll.

I think Bloom has painted himself into a corner with Hyypia. His intentions are good, but his plan isn't working. Is he going to be big enough to hold up his hands and make a big decision soon ? Or are we ploughing on like this regardless ? If he doesn't make a change in the manager, the recruitment structure, or both, then I think we know where this is looking increasingly likely to end. Its unthinkable, but its staring us in the face.

Absolutely right, my thoughts precisely and succinctly stated.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
The walk in the park attitude can only come from the manager. The effort was dire over the both games until we were 1 down. We were set up for a game of chess not football.

I don't know if turning up late has been proved to be bullshit? The only way we would know for sure is if the club denied or confirmed this.
Definitely bullshit I saw him arrive that day with Tanno about half 4 after I'd been in the ticket office. Hate the greasy **** but it's definitely a false rumour

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
And the players? Did Barnes deliberately put that header an inch too high to help his boss get one over his boss, while possibly forfeiting his own shot at the big time? It's just so far fetched it's ridiculous.

I don't understand why people have so much difficulty accepting that we lost to Palace fairly and squarely, just like we did earlier in the season. It is bizarre.

I don't understand why people have so much difficulty accepting that Poyet's massive strop/tantrum/call it what you will, may have unsettled the team in their preparation for that night. At any workplace the mood of those in charge has a massive impact on the staff. Why do we think footballers are any different?

I don't believe there was a 'throw the game' approach by Poyet but the fact he looked like he didn't give a shit must have affected the players-especially if he was like that in the dressing room. Allegedly arrives 45 minutes before kick off, face on him like a smacked arse and clearly wasn't interested during the match HAD to have demotivated a lot of the team, if not all. That was most definitely a differently motivated team from the one a few days earlier in Croydon.

And boy, are we paying the price for that defeat this season?

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
He may have been there at 4.30, but surely that is turning up too early. I mean what was he going to do at the Amex at that time?

He could well have left shortly after you had seen him and come back later.
He lived in Kent, I doubt he went to Churchikl square for the afternoon!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
That was THE game in a long season (albeit myself I doubt we would have beaten Watford) and as we discussed in the concourses pre-match THE match for a number of years. Everyone had a duty to make it right.

Absolutely. It felt like the climax of the feelgood factor associated with the new stadium. We were on a ROLL. And we blew it. Badly. And we've been suffering ever since. That play-off slot was the high water mark for the time being for the club's fortunes, it was the golden ticket and it don't come round that often. And normally I would also doubt we'd have beaten Watford. But they capitulated easily in the final. Maybe we'd have beaten them, maybe not. But the absolute minimum that Tony Bloom deserves is the chance to lead his club out at a Wembley final. Had our chance, muffed it. As did Oscar in the FA Cup the following season. Sake!

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
And the players? Did Barnes deliberately put that header an inch too high to help his boss get one over his boss, while possibly forfeiting his own shot at the big time? It's just so far fetched it's ridiculous.

I don't understand why people have so much difficulty accepting that we lost to Palace fairly and squarely, just like we did earlier in the season. It is bizarre.

I'm obviously not saying the players were involved for one second - just that by not playing wingers as was the norm Poyet deliberately restricted our chances of winning! As for your suggestion Palace were a better side we had beat them 3-0 a few weeks before and drew up there so don't give me that - they were there for the taking! Why didn't we?!!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
He might have got some decisions wrong but it's his own money he (and Berk) are wasting.

So you admit he's wasting it, then. There are some on here who will flame you for even suggesting that he's ever got something wrong.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I'm obviously not saying the players were involved for one second - just that by not playing wingers as was the norm Poyet deliberately restricted our chances of winning! As for your suggestion Palace were a better side we had beat them 3-0 a few weeks before and drew up there so don't give me that - they were there for the taking! Why didn't we?!!

They beat us 3-0 earlier in the season! Football doesn't work like that, you know that.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
As the 95%-ish owner and Chairman, the answer to the OP's question is: entirely. Stuff happens, of course; but it's ultimately down to TB to replace the senior managers if he thinks they are failing, or to put pressure on those managers to deal with their staff if he feels the problem lies lower in the club. Despite his public pronouncements of support, he's got to be seriously concerned at our league position, Shirley? That points to a plan B concerning Sami or David B; or both.

Personally, I'd get shot of Sami after the Derby game and look to replace David after the Jan transfer window closes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here