Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How much does he regret leaving Everton?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
This has been a long time coming, he was looked at by Villa but they decided it was a NO.

Yeah, the same people that thought Tim Sherwood was a good appointment. Absolutely clueless.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Yes it would, but football management being what it is. there will be plenty of other opportunities soon enough.
I like David Moyes, one of the nicer guys in football, and I'm sure his time will come again.

Well he's not going to get a job with any of Man City, Man Utd, Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea or Liverpool so in terms of British club football only the Newcastle and Villa jobs are on a par with the Everton job he gave up.

I fancy he'll bide his time until the Toon come calling.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
He still can put a massivly positive spin on his cv so he will be absolutely fine.

He went to United after their messiah left. Was accompanied by a brand new chief exec who screwed up at least 3 transfers Moyes wanted. The manager who replaced him has SPUNKED money and hardly set the world alight. He can claim he never got a fiar crack of the whip.

Real Sociedad, went there last season, beat Barca and got them very well placed. Struggled this year but could again argue he has been sacked early.

He will be fine.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Well he's not going to get a job with any of Man City, Man Utd, Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea or Liverpool so in terms of British club football only the Newcastle and Villa jobs are on a par with the Everton job he gave up.

I fancy he'll bide his time until the Toon come calling.

Well maybe he will have to reinvent himself to a certain extent and look to manage at a less fashonable club than before, either at the wrong end of the Premier League, or towards the top of the Championship. Other managers have taken a downward step before, gained success quite quickly, and found themselves managing at the top level again.

It's a question of whether or not he is prepared to do that I guess.

gordonchas

Jul 1, 2012
I believe they were in the relegation zone when he took over, so it is fairly decent!

It depends on whether you think they should have been a relegation-threatened side. They had better players than that.

However they are currently only out of the relegation zone on goal difference, so the situation now is almost identical. And they still have better players than that.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
To answer the OP I would think that he doesnt regret leaving Everton as he took them as far as he could he has tried other clubs and made himself and his family financially secure for life. He will secure another job to satisfy himself football wise so all positive.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham

Not at all, I would think. He had taken Everton as far as he could, and probably punched above their weight. The United job was never going to end well for anybody after Fergie - but a good experience for all that, and a nice pay-off. Sensible to get out of the country,no problems leaving a foreign job after a year. I don't think he's done his rep any harm at all, he'll get another good job, just not a top-5 one.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Taking the Villa job would have been more damaging then being let go by a Spanish club.

Moyes will go to Newcastle, Sherwood to QPR in my view

Taking the Toon job will be much less damaging than Villa?, somehow I doubt it. The fans there will demand instant success even more than they do at Villa.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Off on a slight tangent, this thread got me thinking about AVB and how his managerial career has panned out. I think many people have a certain arrogance when it comes to Premier League along the lines of if you can't succeed there you must be a rubbish manager, but he seemed to do alright after Chelsea when people thought he'd be finished.

Interestingly, I see that "On 10 September 2015, Villas-Boas announced he would be leaving Zenit at the end of the 2015–16 season after turning down a contract extension." Given that he's more experienced, and has won another title in another country, I reckon all the talk will be of which PL club he'll be taking over at, come the new year. I also see that he was fifth when he was sacked by Chelsea - José could only dream of that position at the moment :lol: (yes, yes, I know he won the title last season, etc, etc...)

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Off on a slight tangent, this thread got me thinking about AVB and how his managerial career has panned out. I think many people have a certain arrogance when it comes to Premier League along the lines of if you can't succeed there you must be a rubbish manager, but he seemed to do alright after Chelsea when people thought he'd be finished.

Interestingly, I see that "On 10 September 2015, Villas-Boas announced he would be leaving Zenit at the end of the 2015–16 season after turning down a contract extension." Given that he's more experienced, and has won another title in another country, I reckon all the talk will be of which PL club he'll be taking over at, come the new year. I also see that he was fifth when he was sacked by Chelsea - José could only dream of that position at the moment :lol: (yes, yes, I know he won the title last season, etc, etc...)

AVB was given a raw deal at both clubs he was at in the Premiership.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
AVB was given a raw deal at both clubs he was at in the Premiership.

But we cannot know what kind of manager he is/was/could be, only those that have worked closest to him can offer some level of a qualified view and even that you can always split opinion depending how their own career path was effected by him.

Its all really p*****g in the wind, managerial appointments are that to.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
There's only two ways Moyes would have left this job.

Get an offer from a top team or get sacked.

He would never have left for the Villa or some other bunch of Prem no hopers when he has the chance to be not only one of the limited number of British coaches abroad but also the experience of working in Spain.

He was never going to be offered a top job so with the way teams go through managers these days especially in Spain , it was always going to end in his sacking, be it now, next year or whenever.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I believe they were in the relegation zone when he took over, so it is fairly decent!

That is the highest place attained in a calender year...would you accept that from Hughton ?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
A mid table Premier vacancy will come up around January that will appeal to him and the club chairman. At the worst he would take a Championship side with potential Leeds, QPR or even Blackburn.

I agree with your 2nd suggestion BG. That's what Moyes needs to do next. Start a bit lower and build a reputation again. That's what CH has done by going to Brighton. A club with untapped potential and no great expectations following a year in which they were almost relegated. The problem CH has now for himself is managing the expectation he has created after such a good start to the season.

Tim Sherwood made a massive error of judgement thinking he could hold out for a big club with big expectations and he just wasn't capable of getting the best out of average players because his egotistical personality alienates rather than unites people behind him.

Moyes could do a job for someone like Leeds United but their owner is so temperamental that decent managers like Moyes won't touch it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here