Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] How much do you tip in restaurants?

How much?

• Tight arse 0%

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • 5%

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • 10%

Votes: 99 72.8%
  • 15%

Votes: 15 11.0%
  • 20%

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • >20%

Votes: 2 1.5%

• Total voters

Timwest

Apr 5, 2023
Probably says more around your service to be fair
Haha, I mean yeah it was pretty bad. But worked at a range of boozers that had restaurants and tips were never expected and very rarely given to any staff. Some of which did provide lovely service.

Sounds like tipping culture has normalised somewhat over the years.

Timwest

Apr 5, 2023
Nothing or very little because I live in Spain and we haven't been yankified. Was in France over the weekend and it was nice to see they haven't got on board with that bullshit either.
Honestly surprised to see that England now has ingrained tipping culture.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Yes. The first time I found one was a breakfast buffet in the MGM hotel in Las Vegas. You paid a set fee, then it was 'all you can eat'. On top of the set fee you added the gratuity, from memory the options started at 15% - note that zero wasn't an option! The first time I did query it and asked how I could leave a tip when I didn't know what the service was going to be like? (And as it was self-service I was going to be doing most of it myself anyway). The woman stared at me as if I was trying to be funny and didn't reply.
I'm in the states now and it's worse now. The tip suggestion starts at 18% ...up to 30%.

As I've said earlier workers at places like starbucks now expect tips and will push you at the counter to add when paying by card. I might be mistaken but I think I've seen tip options at the supermarket as well (CVS and Walgreens)

The states post COVID is also insanely expensive. Couple of coffees and a croissant at SB is around 20 bucks. Buy a few beers at wallgreens and some snacks and you will be paying $40 for what would cost maximum 15 quid in England.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here