Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How much did your first ever beer cost you?

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
How much, roughly, have you spent on beer!

Let's say an average of 10 pints a week, x 52 x 32 years = 16,640 @ avge price of say £1.90 a pint = £31,616, add on the obligatory chinese, indian, kebab etc and you've got a fair few quid!

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
A
I think first time in a pub would have been c1992/93 aged 17 and i believe it cost around £1.70 for a pint of export

Aged 17? - That's illegal.

Mine was about 1s 9d, somewhere in Worthing, in 1970, at the age of - wait for it - 17.

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
A

Aged 17? - That's illegal.

Mine was about 1s 9d, somewhere in Worthing, in 1970, at the age of - wait for it - 17.

We used to go to the local pub in Framfield most of our 17th year and once we were 18 we cheerily informed the landlord that he'd been serving us illegally for the best part of a year

spig100963

Mar 18, 2011
Yep, and that's the only time us under age drinkers could get on the pool tables!

I was still at school when I used to get myself in there. To be fair I did not know the place had pool tables.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
A pint of Lowenbrau in 1994 at The Red Cross pub at top of Reigate High St cost me the princely sum of £1.25. You would have to add another £3 to get the same pint now.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
How much, roughly, have you spent on beer!

Let's say an average of 10 pints a week, x 52 x 32 years = 16,640 @ avge price of say £1.90 a pint = £31,616, add on the obligatory chinese, indian, kebab etc and you've got a fair few quid!

Old college mate of mine used to pat his substantial beer belly and say "There's a good semi-detached gone into that."

That was 25 years ago. You should see the size he is today - I think he's paid for the entire housing estate by now.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
I didn't pay anything at all for my first beer - my dad bought it for me.

First pint I paid for was probably about 48p circa 1978, in Kent.

But there were (and possibly still are) a lot of geographical differences in the price of beer. When I went to college in Cardiff in 1981, I was paying around 80p back home in Kent & Sussex. I remember paying for my first ever £1 pint in the Punch and Judy in Covent Garden around the same time. But that dropped to around 45p a pint in South Wales.

Mind you, the quality of the brews dropped by an even greater amount. Allbright was definitely not "all right", despite what the adverts asserted. And Brains SA was and still is rubbish.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
About £1.30 (£1.40 maybe) for a pint of bitter (probably Harveys) in 1994 at The Forresters, East Hoathly.

It was on the way back from a summer job as a builders labourer, aged 16 and I was bullied into drinking bitter by the other builders (I still don't like it!). I did like the pork pies they sold though!

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
A pint of Lowenbrau in 1994 at The Red Cross pub at top of Reigate High St cost me the princely sum of £1.25. You would have to add another £3 to get the same pint now.

I wouldnt be surprise in 1994 if that was still expensive being the Red Cross, same pint down the road in Deadhill wouldve been at least ten pence cheaper in 1994

element

Fear [is] the key.....
Jan 28, 2009
Local
I think it was 70p. for a pint of mild, and feeling guilty going home on a Friday night after spending the exorbitant sum of £3 on beer and chips :ohmy:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here