Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] How much did the Marseille cost you ? / Athens trip tips.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
So I was speaking to someone about the Marseille game which they attended and inevitably the total cost of the trip came up,I was staggered when they told me the rough estimate taking everything into account,£1280.00 for flights Ubers food tickets and accommodation,is this figure extravagant or pretty much on par with what you spent ? .

I'm hoping to go to the Athens game as cheaply as humanly possible with a 3 night stay but it's totally out of my budget going by what I've been told the Marseille game cost a non drinker.

I would be grateful for any tips on getting and staying somewhere near the stadium with a somewhat flimsy budget all in of around £650, pp X3 is this a doable figure or am I being too hopeful it's possible.

I read the Marseille thread and some posters came up with some very useful tips to cut costs.

Thanks in advance.

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
Our group’s “travel consultant” has arranged train travel to London, mid-afternoon Eurostar to Amsterdam, two nights hotel near central Amsterdam, match ticket, flight back to Luton and train back to Brighton mid afternoon on Friday for sub £390. Only cost on top of that will be own spending money.

Equivalent costs to Marseille for me was £490 (excluding food/spending money) but including flights, parking at Stansted, petrol, hotel, airport transfers and ticket.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Mine was a very short trip and luckily managed to share some costs (thanks @Bozza !) so I think all in it cost me less than £350. Like most things there are budget options and non-budget options.

Do think Athens there are less cheap options for travel though

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Ours got more expensive when we turned up at our hotel near Geneva Airport just before midnight to be told that despite reserving and paying for rooms, in full, there was no room at the inn.

Finding somewhere else then was all kinds of fun.

I'll add it up and post here later.

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
Agree(with @SouthStandBonfire) - my flights to/from Marseille involved three planes but only about £70. I had the advantage of travelling from/to Ireland. 3 nights away involving one hotel(£85), 1 Airbnb (£60) and one kip in airport(0). The rest was food/drink and match ticket obvs.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
My Eurostar train return was just under £300 plus 2 nights in a hotel including breakfast £750 so £1050 plus food & any extras .

I could have saved a lot not staying in the hotel I chose to but I haven’t been to Amsterdam in many years and a cool hotel is all part of the experience for me.

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
Ours got more expensive when we turned up at our hotel near Geneva Airport just before midnight to be told that despite reserving and paying for rooms, in full, there was no room at the inn.

Finding somewhere else then was all kinds of fun.

I'll add it up and post here later.
I had something similar.

Initial costs:

£70 Gatwick-Nice
£75 Nice-Gatwick
£52 Accommodation in Nice 1 night
£70 Accommodation in Marseille 1 night
£39 train Nice-Marseille
£22 train Marseille-Nice

So should have been around £330 for everything after getting to Gatwick

On the Monday my BA flight got cancelled so had to rebook, got a Wizzair flight for €90 so around £78 which ended up being the delayed flight.

Then when I was in Nice my Marseille accommodation got cancelled and I ended up having to find something else.

Booked an apartment through booking.com for £100 but heard no info on how to collect the key at all. That ended up getting cancelled at 3pm day of the match so I had to spend £165 on a hotel somewhat close to La Joliette.

Luckily got the extra £65 refunded by booking.com after complaining a bit but still had to have the money available to pay £100 for accommodation that didn't come through then £165 for the new one before the first got refunded.

All in all including food and drink I'd say around £500 for me, hopefully with €250 to come from BA for cancelling my flight within 7 days.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
We're going to Athens for 8 days on an EasyJet 'holiday'. Roughly £450 each from LGW including flight and central hotel but obviously not including food and drink or travel to airport.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
We're going to Athens for 8 days on an EasyJet 'holiday'. Roughly £450 each from LGW including flight and central hotel but obviously not including food and drink or travel to airport.
Cor blimey that is good value.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
I know Athens hotels are a lot cheaper than Amsterdam but even so. Is that 2 to a room and it’s what star ?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Amsterdam
Shuttle £190 car + 4 passengers
Hotel 2 rooms 2 nights £400
Diesel £120
Tickets £120

Me plus son, Friend plus son so £207 per person. Plus £1000 food & drink

Carlos BC

May 10, 2019
Marseille was about £600 for me, that's travel, stay for 2 nights, beer and food. Beer was probably a bit less than expected as on the day of the match I was drinking tinnies from Aldi in the square outside Burger King.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here