Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How much debt you in ?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Well done chap! Impressive! How on earth you’ve achieved that though is beyond me. Remarkable! New you is as smart as old you is dumb for getting into that situation in the first place. Could easily have been me or anyone else at what I’m assume was a young/naive age. Well done. 👍🏻
A remorgage years ago got rid of about 40K. ~10K in bonuses all going to the debt over the years, and painful regular payments.

The target is now to pay off the overdraft, and the 3 loans by the end of summer, and then close 2-3 credit cards before year end. After that see where I am with continuing to run 2 credit cards each with limits around £500.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I've got £266k left on the mortgage but I've been listening to some older folks that know their onions and I've decided to cancel Netflix so I can repay the mortgage in no time at all.
Don't forget you also need to skip the lattes and avocado toast to be truly rolling in it.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Not easy for sure. You really have to be determined to make a new life for yourself to do this. And fill it with a lot of other things, Otherwise retirement would be a long time to be bored
Boredom is a big issue for me as I had no kind of hobbies or interests, other than the Albion, outside of work before moving away from the UK. I have found it difficult to find remote accounting work despite being an FC in various businesses for around 25 years.
I am just starting a TEFL course to see if I can fill some time and earn a bit to top up the pension.
We have a small mortgage on a new build home here but have more than enough in land and property investments to cover it if need be.
No other debts.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
A remorgage years ago got rid of about 40K. ~10K in bonuses all going to the debt over the years, and painful regular payments.

The target is now to pay off the overdraft, and the 3 loans by the end of summer, and then close 2-3 credit cards before year end. After that see where I am with continuing to run 2 credit cards each with limits around £500.
Well done and good luck, horrible using bonuses to pay off things, rather than treating yourself.
Good luck anyway

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
This describes a very high proportion of the people I worked with……..hence most of them are still working and I was able to comfortably bail at 54, debt free and just ahead of pension freedom time. We overpaid on our mortgage (modest house we stretched ourselves to buy 25 years ago) for years so cleared about 10 years early that when I was 46, which meant several years of excess income over expenditure, which in turn allowed us to save quite a bit…….and hence stop work early.

The somewhat competitive need to have the best (new) car and the biggest house never really appealed. Not working is massively more fun.
Similar - I was a few years ahead of you but it's not a competition eh :) But yeah, that's pretty much what we did, obsessed about getting the mortgage done, made sure we have investments in place and here we are. Finished 3 years ago at 47, now spend time doing fun volunteering, projects on our home and land, certainly don't miss working!

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I'm fortunate to be retired without any debt, I do fear for people over the next few years with limited income and extended life expectancy. Many people have looked at their property as their pension but downsizing doesn't always make economic sense it depends where the market and demand is.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
No credit or store Cards
No Bank loans
PCP on vehicles Car and Monkey bike not sure if that counts as I can give them back. Not that I will with the Monkey as I will only need to pay £800 to own in the end.
Vehicle finance on other motorbike, which I will own right out in a year. bought on a 0% deal

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here