Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How much debt you in ?

JamieR

Jan 25, 2020
Paid off mortgage a couple of years ago and promptly told my employer to shove his job up his arse. No debts and some dosh in bank. Wife has good job though so been stay at home dad ever since. Family dynamic is much better with me picking up the slack at home. We live to our means, no fancy cars etc but still go on holiday. Will probably get a job of some kind when boys go to uni next year.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
About 14 years ago, after a long Illness (Hepatitis, liver failure, kidney failure) I managed to get myself back into work, minimum wage (about 14k at the time) was living on my own and had to rob Peter to pay Paul each month, managed to rack up about £5k worth of debt simply by trying to survive.
I met my Mrs about 8 years ago and she was very understanding of my situation and when we moved in together she basically footed all the bills so all my money could go towards paying my debts and we could then have a better life.
Just over a year with her to clear all my debts and lift a huge weight off my shoulders.
Being in debt made me seriously depressed, it's so hard to see a way out and can become all consuming. Once you get in debt it's incredibly hard to get out, I was just immensely fortunate that I met the right person at the right time to help me through it, who knows where I'd be otherwise.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
About 14 years ago, after a long Illness (Hepatitis, liver failure, kidney failure) I managed to get myself back into work, minimum wage (about 14k at the time) was living on my own and had to rob Peter to pay Paul each month, managed to rack up about £5k worth of debt simply by trying to survive.
I met my Mrs about 8 years ago and she was very understanding of my situation and when we moved in together she basically footed all the bills so all my money could go towards paying my debts and we could then have a better life.
Just over a year with her to clear all my debts and lift a huge weight off my shoulders.
Being in debt made me seriously depressed, it's so hard to see a way out and can become all consuming. Once you get in debt it's incredibly hard to get out, I was just immensely fortunate that I met the right person at the right time to help me through it, who knows where I'd be otherwise.
Exactly my story too (not the illness) as described in a post a few minutes ago. Meeting the right person at the right time can be, literally, an absolute life-saver..

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
Mortgage, but nothing else.

Husband and I have no credit cards and no plans to get one - we don't spend anything we don't have.
Credit cards have their place, as long as you pay them off every month. My wife has a card that gives her bonus points which get converted into Christmas presents, and another card she takes abroad as it offers a good exchange rate and takes no commission. But I take your general point. Personally I pay for everything with a debit card.

AlbionBro

Jun 6, 2020
I should say, control those costs, as hard times will always pop up decade to decade, some brought on by personal circumstances and other bought on by governments. Taking responsibility long term is the best way.I found putting yourself in control of your cost is essential. If you end up hitting the jackpot with high income you have made it, if you don't you're still in control.But nothing is easy.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Credit cards have their place, as long as you pay them off every month. My wife has a card that gives her bonus points which get converted into Christmas presents, and another card she takes abroad as it offers a good exchange rate and takes no commission. But I take your general point. Personally I pay for everything with a debit card.
Virtually all our spending goes on credit cards (cleared in full every month)……split between a BA Amex card and a Hilton visa. The Avios and hilton points and other benefits (the Hilton card for example gets me an immediate Hilton Honors Gold Card which in turn means an almost certain upgrade on any stay, free breakfast etc at any Hilton worldwide) gets us least 3-4 free hotel nights a year and the Amex a BA Companion voucher annually (essentially a BOGOF return flight - the last one we exchanged was worth about £5k). Ironically the only time I don’t use the cards is abroad as their charges are too high - have a multi currency Wise card for that which is excellent.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
Virtually all our spending goes on credit cards (cleared in full every month)……split between a BA Amex card and a Hilton visa. The Avios and hilton points and other benefits (the Hilton card for example gets me an immediate Hilton Honors Gold Card which in turn means an almost certain upgrade on any stay, free breakfast etc at any Hilton worldwide) gets us least 3-4 free hotel nights a year and the Amex a BA Companion voucher annually (essentially a BOGOF return flight - the last one we exchanged was worth about £5k). Ironically the only time I don’t use the cards is abroad as their charges are too high - have a multi currency Wise card for that which is excellent.
Do these cards have annual charges or commission?

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I'm still in debt, but the main one (mortgage) paid off so we have a roof over our heads, plus Mrs Jakarta gets a Head Teachers pension so we won't starve! I have kicked my pension in as of 2024, plus took a fair chunk of my tax free recently.

Sadly when my 85 year old Uncle in Cheshire passes on I will have a £250,000 semi to dispose of which will clearly knock it all off...

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Mortgage, but nothing else.

Husband and I have no credit cards and no plans to get one - we don't spend anything we don't have.
This sums it up for me.
If you can't afford it, don't buy it.
Up to 8 years ago we had 2 wages coming in, after Mrs AR retired on health grounds, we went down to my wage and adapted to that.
Now with certain things going on, we may have no wages, only an insurance that kicks in after I've exhausted my sick allowance, which my employer took out for the workforce and pays out 60% of my wage.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
This sums it up for me.
If you can't afford it, don't buy it.
Up to 8 years ago we had 2 wages coming in, after Mrs AR retired on health grounds, we went down to my wage and adapted to that.
Now with certain things going on, we may have no wages, only an insurance that kicks in after I've exhausted my sick allowance, which my employer took out for the workforce and pays out 60% of my wage.
I hope things work out for you.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I feel bad about having posted that I was debt free earlier as it may be perceived as having 'won'.

I'm 52 years old and decrepit.

I wish I was 30 years old and healthy with £50k of debt, a van and tools and a decent stream of business.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
I have A$2 k on the card, and a student loan that I just see as part of my tax obligations rather than a debt, other than that no loans or mortgage, no rent. Very lucky. I have stuff all super, which maybe I should view as being a debt to the future?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I feel bad about having posted that I was debt free earlier as it may be perceived as having 'won'.

I'm 52 years old and decrepit.

I wish I was 30 years old and healthy with £50k of debt, a van and tools and a decent stream of business.
If it helps I’m living your wish in my 50’s and it f***ing sucks🙃
Don’t get me wrong I enjoy working although I’ve been chasing the big one for years to retire on and think I may of finally stumbled across it. I will know in a couple of months.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here