Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How much are you enjoying this season?

How much are YOU enjoying this season?

• Immensely

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • A fair amount

Votes: 36 10.9%
  • It’s okay…

Votes: 52 15.8%
  • Very little

Votes: 166 50.3%
  • Not at all!

Votes: 69 20.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
So Potter's wasting even more "expensive talent"

The problem is, £225m doesn’t go far in the EPL. Dyche is only manager who expertly manages a lowish budget season after season, but it doesn’t stop them being in the relegation mix.

Villa blew £145m last season, staying up due to the failure of goal line technology. So what do they do, they spend another £100m of money they didn’t have last summer. Hey presto, mid table.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I've supported Brighton for too long to let it get me down. If we were playing absolute dogshit like we were towards the end under Chris Hughton then I might be a bit more depressed.

This time I think we're giving it a good go, as the stats prove, but just don't have all the personnel to carry it off ..

My thoughts exactly. We’re a LB, striker and CM’er from getting results to match the passages of excellent football.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
For some reason it was more fun watching us be crap in the 3rd division than watching us be crap in the premier league.

We can all sit back, have a chuckle and say "classic Brighton" when we repeatedly miss open goals or fluff two penalties in one game, but Christ almighty it's becoming very dull watching the same scenario play out week after week. The style of play is better and more entertaining than when we first went up, but the end result remains the same.

I know I'm in the minority, but I would prefer us to be bouncing around the playoffs in the Championship and have that excitement, rather than dining out on beating Spurs or Liverpool for months while we lose to West Brom etc on the reg.

We don't have the cash other teams have and that won't change unless someone comes in and wants to turn us into the next Man City. We are developing youth, which is wonderful, who we will eventually sell off at a massive profit because they need to take the next step in their careers. What we do with that money will determine how our own next step looks.

This exactly . . . . and even nailed to the root of the football league we won more games.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
The problem is, £225m doesn’t go far in the EPL. Dyche is only manager who expertly manages a lowish budget season after season, but it doesn’t stop them being in the relegation mix.

Villa blew £145m last season, staying up due to the failure of goal line technology. So what do they do, they spend another £100m of money they didn’t have last summer. Hey presto, mid table.

Correct. In isolation the fees we’ve spent seem eye watering. But it’s actually really small fry compared to the rest of the PL. i think people like to use it as a stick to beat the manager with “all that money he spent” (assuming he even spent it, we don’t know).

Also worth noting we’re just looking at transfer fees. If you look at wage budgets we are true paupers in this division. Bottom 3 or 4 in the league. Hence Villas wages for Watkins blew us away from the deal.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
This exactly . . . . and even nailed to the root of the football league we won more games.

There were more games .... that run towards the end of that season will never be forgotten though.

Can I suggest that performances and results in the first half of that season, were below what we're experiencing now

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
There were more games .... that run towards the end of that season will never be forgotten though.

Can I suggest that performances and results in the first half of that season, were below what we're experiencing now

we were hillariously shyte. In 96/97 we won 13 . . . 28%, more than any PL season(23%) . this season, our worst, currently stands at 18%. which kind of proves that whilst tippy tappy is easy on the eye, its also easy on the oposition.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

I meant it mostly in jest. They've both had money spent under their watch, I'm not sure either had much say on specifics so wouldn't blame or praise them on the signings

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Hilariously horrible question. This season is pure torture.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Like a curates's egg. I have enjoyed watching us play - but that has brought it's own frustrations. It'll all look better if we get a few result going our way. But I have an increasing feeling that we have relegation written all over us. Seemingly regardless of what we do. Which is not the end of the world.

FWIW this place has not benefitted from the divisions enjoyed by the cult of Potter when it seems you have to be either waving a flag or carrying a pitchfork.

For once, a good poll btw.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Like a curates's egg. I have enjoyed watching us play - but that has brought it's own frustrations. It'll all look better if we get a few result going our way. But I have an increasing feeling that we have relegation written all over us. Seemingly regardless of what we do. Which is not the end of the world.

FWIW this place has not benefitted from the divisions enjoyed by the cult of Potter when it seems you have to be either waving a flag or carrying a pitchfork.

For once, a good poll btw.

I have my flag on the end of a pitch fork. :blush:

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
My thoughts exactly. We’re a LB, striker and CM’er from getting results to match the passages of excellent football.

If Hughton had had those three we probably wouldn't have played such crap football though

May 5, 2020
Sussex
I'm not enjoying it mainly because we can't go and watch the games.
TV and radio coverage is just not the same.
It's pretty crap when we can't be the 12th Man for a tough game or celebrate in town after a win but mainly not being there and experiencing it is the worst.
I have felt a strange detachment from it all this season.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
The last 3 games have been incredibly frustrating to watch. Pass, Pass, Pass, Pass, Pass, Pass, Pass, Pass, Pass, Pass, Opposition run up the other end, Goal.

It's as enjoyable as chatting to an attractive woman all night, getting on well, buying her expensive drinks, thinking you are well in before she ups sticks at the end of night and buggers off home with someone else.

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
But every other club would have their "12th man" as well, and let's face it our 12th man is a bit shy and disorganised.

I'm not enjoying it mainly because we can't go and watch the games.
TV and radio coverage is just not the same.
It's pretty crap when we can't be the 12th Man for a tough game or celebrate in town after a win but mainly not being there and experiencing it is the worst.
I have felt a strange detachment from it all this season.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
There's a bit of recency bias in some of these posts. It wasn't at all fun being at the absolute bottom of the league. It was soul destroying. We were, quite literally, hopeless. We arrived at games angry. We spent 90 minutes being angry, lost, and went home angry. Only after Steve Gritt turned up did some glimmer of hope emerge. This still took quite a while to sink in because most of us were resigned to relegation by Christmas and were wondering if the club could survive without a ground, and potentially a league to play in.

Yes, its very annoying looking good, but never getting the second goal, and never finding a way to win in one of the toughest leagues in the world, but the two things don't compare at all. This current stuff is just the usual lot of the smaller teams in this division, delivered in an unorthodox way. Had Maupay not been offside when the second went in, Leicester probably wouldn't have come back and we would now be looking forward to Southampton with far too much optimism, just like we were when we played Palace. You've all been Brighton fans long enough to know the script:- When everything points to the sunny uplands, we always find a hole to fall into. Just as the plummet into the hole seems never ending, we usually hit a trampoline. Only in the world of Radio Sussex's phone in are we ever truly terrible or absolute world beaters. In reality, we have a young team of talented but inexperienced players, with bags of potential, but at present, very little in the way of game management. The results have been enough for most of us to lock the cat out of the room for its own safety when we're playing, but if we survive in this division, or if we don't, there'll be good times around the corner and knowing that, rather than just hoping it, makes this current period of being Barnestoneworth United far easier to cope with.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here