Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How many will follow Coventry and QPR’s lead?

Should players take the knee?

• Yes

Votes: 41 37.3%
  • No

Votes: 69 62.7%

• Total voters

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Thanks, corrected for you.

Not sure that is what came across when you stated 'What message is a player (or manager) wishing to give by not taking the knee if not to signal that he disagrees with BLM?'. Based on that, you are suggesting that Warburton doesn't agree with BLM or their aims. He might well not agree but that isn't what he has said and you can't know what he is thinking. It would appear you're just trying to shame people in to toeing the line!

How can I shame Warburton or his team? I am confident they don't read NSC.

How can I shame anyone on NSC into supporting the trope BLM? Either they think black lives matter or they don't. Those who don't, and who went all 'whabout all lives' mattering, have already shown they are beyond shame.

And if anyone on NSC feels shamed by me into giving tacit support for BLM that they don't have....they are pathetic. I'm sure Das Reich wouldn't pretend support owing to perceived pressure from me!

I will make it clear. If Warburton (and indeed anyone else) consults with his players and holds a press conference to say 'we are not doing this anymore, but we have decided to do that' nobody would mind. Perhaps everything does have its day.

And perhaps it doesn't. I stopped buying poppies 30 years ago, till I was reminded of the meaning (in part by people on NSC, as it happens). I am not aware of any mainstream 'let's stop wearing poppies' organisation, I am pleased to say, but there are apparently mainstream people very much opposed to BLM. So I am uncomfortable with clumsy interventions by the likes of Warburton that, as has been stated by many, in its ambiguity gives succour to gammon and racists.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Taking the knee like clapping the Key workers make powerful statements but in themselves do little more than highlight a moment and both will loose impact over time, So maybe now is the time to end this taking of the knee and in its place incorporate the lessons into the kick racism out campaign

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Cause it’s a load of meaningless bollocks ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh dear Bladders.

We can debate the merit of its continuation, but it clearly isn’t meaningless or we would not be talking about it would we?

If it were meaningless then Colin Kaepernick would not have been cast aside by the NFL for being a lone voice in taking the knee.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach

How can I shame anyone on NSC into supporting the trope BLM? Either they think black lives matter or they don't. Those who don't, and who went all 'whabout all lives' mattering, have already shown they are beyond shame.

And if anyone on NSC feels shamed by me into giving tacit support for BLM that they don't have....they are pathetic. I'm sure Das Reich wouldn't pretend support owing to perceived pressure from me!

I will make it clear. If Warburton (and indeed anyone else) consults with his players and holds a press conference to say 'we are not doing this anymore, but we have decided to do that' nobody would mind. Perhaps everything does have its day.

And perhaps it doesn't. I stopped buying poppies 30 years ago, till I was reminded of the meaning (in part by people on NSC, as it happens). I am not aware of any mainstream 'let's stop wearing poppies' organisation, I am pleased to say, but there are apparently mainstream people very much opposed to BLM. So I am uncomfortable with clumsy interventions by the likes of Warburton that, as has been stated by many, in its ambiguity gives succour to gammon and racists.

Indeed.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Oh dear Bladders.

We can debate the merit of its continuation, but it clearly isn’t meaningless or we would not be talking about it would we?

If it were meaningless then Colin Kaepernick would not have been cast aside by the NFL for being a lone voice in taking the knee.

He was cast aside cause he was a one season wonder .

Played for Nevada , a small college outfit in the dogshit Mountain West Conference, he was reach as a Rd 2 pick but had a good year at the Niners . So let’s not pretend this guy was Tom Brady ffs

Of course it’s meaningless, a footballer sinking too his knee for 5 seconds before kick off is virtue signalling bollocks that achieves sweet FA

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

How can I shame anyone on NSC into supporting the trope BLM? Either they think black lives matter or they don't.

Far too binary, HWT. I consider the environment and global warming to be serious issues. It doesn't mean I have to - or should - vote for the Green Party.

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire
Taking the knee like clapping the Key workers make powerful statements but in themselves do little more than highlight a moment and both will loose impact over time, So maybe now is the time to end this taking of the knee and in its place incorporate the lessons into the kick racism out campaign

Indeed, Kick it Out was there before the BLM and more relevant in the UK.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Far too binary, HWT. I consider the environment and global warming to be serious issues. It doesn't mean I have to - or should - vote for the Green Party.

Come on. Did I say we should vote for the (imaginary) BLM party?

Try you sentence with "It doesn't mean I should support boring guesture eco-initiatives like recycling". Yes, yes it does!

How painful is it, as a football supporter, to have to put up with watching (or ignoring) five seconds of taking the knee every blooming game? May I suggest that it is not painful at all? I must confess that I don't normally watch it myself now. That is partly why I am so incredulous at the antipathy.

Anyway, I have made my point yet I can see that some people still want all this knee-taking nonsense to stop, so we can just get back to normal, while of course supporting whatever it was in principle. I am sure that BAME folk can sympathise with the minor annoyance this is beginning to cause the white folk.

:facepalm:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Ah, the return of Mr 'All Lives Matter'.

Thanks for your expert resume of the history of the UK's fight against racism, and your disdain for this foreign initiative. :facepalm:

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
I think they should bin off the knee bending but replace it with something Kick It Out related, bringing more focus on the UK directly. The USA is the USA, a very odd place and really not that relatable to us imo. If you're going to focus on black lives mattering then focus on the UK issues.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I think everyone should stop getting so angry about everything everyday every minute.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Come on. Did I say we should vote for the (imaginary) BLM party?

No you didn't - because there isn't one. You did say - or at least imply - that if we didn't take the knee we were against BLM and therefore racist.

I'll offer you another scenario. Many people - both black and white - were 100% behind Martin Luther King - but not in favour of Malcolm X. It is quite possible to be against racism without supporting every single anti-racist group, then as now. I think you were around back then - as I was. Do you seriously deny that was the case?
Same as many Labour voters aren't pro Momentum or Militant Tendency.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
No you didn't - because there isn't one. You did say - or at least imply - that if we didn't take the knee we were against BLM and therefore racist.

I'll offer you another scenario. Many people - both black and white - were 100% behind Martin Luther King - but not in favour of Malcolm X. It is quite possible to be against racism without supporting every single anti-racist group, then as now. I think you were around back then - as I was. Do you seriously deny that was the case?
Same as many Labour voters aren't pro Momentum or Militant Tendency.

Yes, I get all that. And I now get that you are against players (I hope by 'we' you don't mean you and I - at our ages!) taking the knee. And I quite explicitly said that not everyone who thinks that the time for taking the knee is over are racists. I don't imagine for a minute that you are racist. I did say, however that everyone who is racist is against the taking of the knee. And I did also say that this is reason enough for it to continue. And I don't understand why you think it would be better for it to stop.

Finally I'd add that the most common reason offered for players ending taking he knee, that it is alienating non-racists, is actually nonsensical. I suspect that any self-proclaimed nonracist who is sick and tired of the knee taking is not as nonracist as they may like to think themselves. As I have said time and time again, what sort of antiracist is a person who gets annoyed by football players spending five seconds taking the knee? There are for more poignant things to get annoyed about - confiscation of bottle tops, lack of atmosphere, and that ruddy boy with the half time scores board that obstructs everybody's view. :shrug:

:wink:

All the best, old fellah.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I think they should bin off the knee bending but replace it with something Kick It Out related, bringing more focus on the UK directly. The USA is the USA, a very odd place and really not that relatable to us imo. If you're going to focus on black lives mattering then focus on the UK issues.

I have no problem with that.

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire

Thanks for your expert resume of the history of the UK's fight against racism, and your disdain for this foreign initiative. :facepalm:

Harry, I am old enough to remember when all lives mattering was just a normal reasonable default position. I don't buy into the whites are inherently more racist schtick that is being peddled by grifters and race-baiters. I don't approve of racism but it's never going to be eradicated any more than sexism, ageism or any other ism. Mr All Lives Matter! not an insult old bean.

Last edited:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

???
Sometimes I get confused reading posts on here.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Neither have I. That's pretty much the same as my point too - so why are you quibbling about mine?!

Jesus wept - I'm sure Caravan or Kevin Ayers must have the answer to this.............is The Land of Grey and Pink a more subtle socio-political statement than any of us realised?

:)

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
Yes, trolled to death. Like that Irish player who made an anti British gesture when our national anthem was played. And rightly so. The oaf.

What message is a player (or manager) wishing to give by not taking the knee if not to signal that he disagrees with BLM?

Warburton should have managed his stance a lot better than he has done if his intentions were good. I'm not yet persuaded they were.

I certainly agree with you that racists lack the guts to not take the knee for fear of being 'trolled to death'.

Good. Tough. The key bit was this.

Sorry, I don’t see that not taking the knee makes you a racist in anyway at all. It has become a forced symbolism in which you have no choice but to take part.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here