Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How many points needed to go up this time round?

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
To much optimism on here I think. We had a similar start to the 1st season at the Amex, and ended up finishing mid table. Hope this season doesn't finish the same way, there's a long way to go though.

Too many pessimists surely? The difference this season is that we have a far far superior squad to what we had then. Besides that start was momentum carried from the season before that somewhat petered out, we aren't where we are with the momentum from last season! Everyone needs to get behind the club as opposed to waiting for the wheels to come off. This is our season, if we want it? My concern is the doom-mongers on here will try to drag the rest of us down for no reason but to have something to moan about. We're top of the league and our squad is fantastic, enjoy it :ascarf:

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
Too many pessimists surely? The difference this season is that we have a far far superior squad to what we had then. Besides that start was momentum carried from the season before that somewhat petered out, we aren't where we are with the momentum from last season! Everyone needs to get behind the club as opposed to waiting for the wheels to come off. This is our season, if we want it? My concern is the doom-mongers on here will try to drag the rest of us down for no reason but to have something to moan about. We're top of the league and our squad is fantastic, enjoy it :ascarf:

Totally agree. All last season I kept thinking well surely Bournemouth will start losing soon but they were just too good. Maybe this season everything has clicked into place for us and it will be our year. Signs are we certainly have a chance of it being our time, great squad, belief, determination.You don't win 5 out of 6 just being a bit lucky

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
I was only asking how many points to win the league; this is all get rather sad and fatalistic.

Not at all. I am pleased and think Albion have a chance, albeit the big spenders (Boro, Derby, Burnley) must be favourites. It is just that too many people on NSC are getting ahead of themselves. CH certainly isn't, at the weekend he said we are falling the 'right side of the margin'. He knows we could easily be mid table rather than top.

The thread has developed because, TBH, the answer to your question lies in your post. Points required likely to be in mid 80s because that has tended to be enough. It is far too early in season to suggest this season will be any different to recent ones.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Perhaps at this time, we should be looking at how many points needed to avoid the drop and, as we finished last season with 47 points, we are doing well thus far having acquired 16 points to date after only six games.

Yes we are doing OK so far but we are about four months away from even considering how many points might be needed as depends upon how many draws occur week on week within that time.

I disagree. If you think like this you start being satisfied with draws, in which case you'll soon be overtaken by other sides and find yourself mid table.

This squad is clearly not going to get relegated, and we must be aiming to average 2 points per match and not to fall out of the top six.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Totally agree. All last season I kept thinking well surely Bournemouth will start losing soon but they were just too good. Maybe this season everything has clicked into place for us and it will be our year. Signs are we certainly have a chance of it being our time, great squad, belief, determination.You don't win 5 out of 6 just being a bit lucky
There is still a feeling of season 11/12 for me with all these 1 goal wins. Squad is clearly stronger, but I'll be more confident when we start dominating teams for 90 mins, instead of 30-40, and winning some games by 2+ goals.

For now, I still see us as a play off team that happen to have started the season on a good run.

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
This. Took 5 points from next 12 games after the great 2011 start. Don't people understand that football is fickle. Enjoy it while it lasts, and hope it continues. End of story.

Agreed. But the 2011 start came after having won promotion the year before and the euphoria of a new stadium etc.
This time, its following a pretty dismal season.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Can't see any over-optimism on here. If we win another 25 matches, we'll go up, if if we carry on as we've started (5 wins and a draw) we'll go up with fifteen games to spare.............can you not see the operative word there?

If. Nobody is saying these things will happen, or even that they're likely too, just stating what would need to happen to get us promoted. Would be nice if it did happen though...........

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Given what we've seen this season will the top 2 teams need to be in the 80s, 90s or 100s to win the league?

Bournemouth 90
Watford 89

Leicester 102
Burnley 93

Cardiff 87
Hull 79

Reading 89
Southampton 88

Surely its irrelevant who many points the top two get to win the league, its the points the 3rd place team get that is the deciding factor to go up

14/15 Norwich 86
13/14 Derby 85
12/13 Watford 77
11/12 West Ham 86
10/11 Swansea 80
09/10 Forest 79

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
I disagree. If you think like this you start being satisfied with draws, in which case you'll soon be overtaken by other sides and find yourself mid table.

This squad is clearly not going to get relegated, and we must be aiming to average 2 points per match and not to fall out of the top six.

My reference to draws was not concerning the Albion but a large number of draws throughout the season and across the Championship will surely lower the likely points total for all considerations.

I certainly not suggesting that I would be happy to see Albion rack up a large number of draws.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
To much optimism on here I think. We had a similar start to the 1st season at the Amex, and ended up finishing mid table. Hope this season doesn't finish the same way, there's a long way to go though.

Bollocks to this. If people are optimistic, it's because they have every right to be. Two matches ago, we scored three AWAY at a serious play-off contender. Last match, we beat a promotion favourite and didn't look remotely like conceding.

And our striking options didn't seem anything like as good (there was no club legend, former England international and UEFA Cup final playing striker waiting in the wings, never mind a regular at Feyenoord or a Real Madrid youngster), we had Ashley Barnes, CMS (when he was half decent) and then we were struggling.

And you only have to look at our centre backs now - £5m rated Dunk can't even get into the team!

If we win tonight, we'll probably be 8 points clear of 7th already. At this stage, SURELY it's not greedy to say a top 6 spot isn't beyond us?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Bollocks to this. If people are optimistic, it's because they have every right to be. Two matches ago, we scored three AWAY at a serious play-off contender. Last match, we beat a promotion favourite and didn't look remotely like conceding.

And our striking options didn't seem anything like as good (there was no club legend, former England international and UEFA Cup final playing striker waiting in the wings, never mind a regular at Feyenoord or a Real Madrid youngster), we had Ashley Barnes, CMS (when he was half decent) and then we were struggling.

And you only have to look at our centre backs now - £5m rated Dunk can't even get into the team!

If we win tonight, we'll probably be 8 points clear of 7th already. At this stage, SURELY it's not greedy to say a top 6 spot isn't beyond us?

Love that stat.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
My reference to draws was not concerning the Albion but a large number of draws throughout the season and across the Championship will surely lower the likely points total for all considerations.

I certainly not suggesting that I would be happy to see Albion rack up a large number of draws.

I don't dispute that there will be a lot of draws in this division. My point was that I disagreed with you comment "Perhaps at this time, we should be looking at how many points needed to avoid the drop".

If you begin by thinking in terms of amassing enough points to get avoid getting relegated then how will we EVER get promoted? The mindset there is that a point away from home against anyone outside the bottom 6 is a good result because that is how you amass enough points to avoid relegation. Yet those who get promoted will take to the field believing they will win every match they start, and draws start to become something of a disappointment. Look at Bournemouth last season - a confident side with positive intent who got promoted. In their case their strength was their attack - ours is our defence but you can take equal positivity from both as Arsenal showed under George Graham.

Fortunately, we've taken the lead in every match we've played this season and we've ended almost all of those matches looking to score another rather than simply defend. This is why I believe we'll do better than most on this thread who advise caution. We LOOK like a side that has the intent to win every match, rather than a side who are happy to take a point.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Far too much pessimism on here. If we carry on doing what we've done so far, we'll get 46/6*16 = 122 points by the end of the season. That'll probably be enough, I reckon.

smeg

Feb 11, 2013
BN13
Football fans as a rule are glass half full and glass half empty, personally i'm an optimist and anyway, whatever happens from now, it's already better than last year.

I was only asking how many points to win the league; this is all get rather sad and fatalistic.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here