Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How many players have appeared in an Albion shirt in competitive fixture?

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I only ask because Guy Butters mentioned the other day it turns out he’s the 575th player, two behind Gazza, to make their Tottenham debut out of the current total of 879 Spurs players.

Will ours be considerably less as they are 20 years older than us, or about the same due to the higher turnover of players we might have had in the lower leagues?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
We will have had more I reckon.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
We’d have had more players overall - lots more loan players than Spurs. Probably played around the same cup matches: they mostly progressed further than us but we had to play through the earlier rounds. We probably played more league matches - mostly spent our time in leagues of 24 teams? Someone out there will know the answer.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I only ask because Guy Butters mentioned the other day it turns out he’s the 575th player, two behind Gazza, to make their Tottenham debut out of the current total of 879 Spurs players.

Will ours be considerably less as they are 20 years older than us, or about the same due to the higher turnover of players we might have had in the lower leagues?
Up until the end of 1996-97, Albion had fielded 829 players in first-team competitive matches [source: Tim Carder and Roger Harris' fantastic "Albion A - Z: A Who's Who of Brighton and Hove Albion FC].

This includes, of course: League, Play-offs, FA Cup, League Cup, Full-Members Cup etc.
It also includes first-team matches prior to joining the EFL in 1920, so competitions such as the Southern League, United League, Western League, Southern Professional Charity Cup etc.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Up until the end of 1996-97, Albion had fielded 829 players in first-team competitive matches [source: Tim Carder and Roger Harris' fantastic "Albion A - Z: A Who's Who of Brighton and Hove Albion FC].

This includes, of course: League, Play-offs, FA Cup, League Cup, Full-Members Cup etc.
It also includes first-team matches prior to joining the EFL in 1920, so competitions such as the Southern League, United League, Western League, Southern Professional Charity Cup etc.

Interesting.

Based on those numbers, and the relatively high volume of players coming and going over the past couple of decades, I reckon we’re probably now looking at a figure of around 1100.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Quite a few...

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I wonder (from what number onwards?) would we be able to name ALL of them without cheating between us?

I am tempted to set up a pretty mega quiz.

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
And the answer is ?
1,213 - I think!

I took the 829 as at the end of the 96/97 season and, using the appearance stats in the last home programme -(plus last week’s Fulham programme)- for every season since then, listed each new player who made an appearance during that season and totted them up.

It is possible that a player may have made their first appearance in that last home game or in any subsequent away games before the end of that season and this wouldn’t show in the last home game programme but, unless they were completely crap -(not unheard of!)-, they would probably have featured the following season and been reflected in that season’s last home programme.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
1,213 - I think!

I took the 829 as at the end of the 96/97 season and, using the appearance stats in the last home programme -(plus last week’s Fulham programme)- for every season since then, listed each new player who made an appearance during that season and totted them up.

It is possible that a player may have made their first appearance in that last home game or in any subsequent away games before the end of that season and this wouldn’t show in the last home game programme but, unless they were completely crap -(not unheard of!)-, they would probably have featured the following season and been reflected in that season’s last home programme.
Stunning work.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here