Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How many players away from a top 4/ title challenge?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Because the team got better during the season and were still very young and learning when we lost two of the mainstays :thumbsup:
But they could equally have been injured or got shitter. I find it extraordinary how optimistic all these extrapolations are. :lolol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
If we had bought Beckenbauer, Gerd Muller, Pele, Jarzinho, Gordon Banks, Martin Peters etc etc in the early 1970s we could have won the league.

But we didn't.

What's gone is gone.

PS - we would need several better players for a top four finish, mostly in defence, midfield and attack.
Precisely.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I don't think we will be top 4 contenders until we can keep clean sheets, and that means having a regular starting keeper, JPVH improving and a power DCM like Caicedo or Biss.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
I'm not sure I'm having any of this. Those players were great for us but have done very little at their new clubs. I think the the OP is misguided. What we have is a very good coach.
Ben White has played 88 times for a good Arsenal team, surely he’s doing something of note.

Mac Allister starts (when fit) for top of the table Liverpool. Again surely he’s doing something right.

The others, well Chelsea!!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Ben White has played 88 times for a good Arsenal team, surely he’s doing something of note.

Mac Allister starts (when fit) for top of the table Liverpool. Again surely he’s doing something right.

The others, well Chelsea!!
Ben White was not with us last season. He has been quite good Arsenal. Hasn't had an England cap sine 2022.

Mac Allister is doing OK. One goal in 14 this season. Ten goals in 35 for us in his last season. The trajectory is not up.

I would be surprised if none of the players we have sold for a quarter of a billion pounds had made some appearances and not disgraced themselves.

But it isn't anything to us like what it would have been like had we sold Ward in 78 or Zamora in 2001.

We now have the best functioning squad in the club's history. Glass is more than half full. People need to stop 'what iffing' about players we have sold, pull up their knickers and make me a cup of tea. Fact.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Not a big fan of what it's in football but I suspect we'd only a be a few points better off had Mac, Caidedo and Colwill stayed. Much like Newscastle we'd probably still have picked up quite a few injuries.

We were fantastic last season but we were helped by a number of top teams having poor seasons. I'd argue that with our European adventure we're actually doing better than at this stage last season, points wise we're on par but it's looking much more competitive at the top.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
The issue is the squad. The drop off in quality from our first 11 is still too big in some positions, and we’ve not adequately replaced the players we lost in the summer.

But that’s to be expected. We’re still doing very well

To answer the OPs question though, I’m still not sold on either keeper, although I think Bart has potential, so maybe an upgrade there. We’d need good left back cover, RB cover, a starting DM, a top drawer striker, and cover on the right wing in particular. So not much.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Ben White was not with us last season. He has been quite good Arsenal. Hasn't had an England cap sine 2022.

Mac Allister is doing OK. One goal in 14 this season. Ten goals in 35 for us in his last season. The trajectory is not up.

I would be surprised if none of the players we have sold for a quarter of a billion pounds had made some appearances and not disgraced themselves.

But it isn't anything to us like what it would have been like had we sold Ward in 78 or Zamora in 2001.

We now have the best functioning squad in the club's history. Glass is more than half full. People need to stop 'what iffing' about players we have sold, pull up their knickers and make me a cup of tea. Fact.
Mac Allister’s played as a 6 for Liverpool mainly. It’s no surprise his goal record isn’t as good as it was for us.

And White hasn’t had an England cap since leaving the WC - clearly he annoyed Southgate, who clearly has his favourites.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
30 Man U

29 spurs

25 WHU

I make it 84 😕

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld
If we can keep who we’ve got and add 2/3 I think we can challenge top 4 but it really depends on who of the traditional big 6 can perform as they should
Currently I can’t see arsenal Liverpool Man City not being in the top 4 spuds Man U and Chelsea could be anything and if they are all on song It’ll be very difficult to break into
Especially if villa and Newcastle keep/improve their current squads

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I’m a firm believer that almost any team would compete at the highest level if they added three players- a CB, a CM and a striker at least as good as their best player in that position. If we had, for instance, Braithwaite, Palinha and Watkins we’d be top three. Also agree with earlier comment, this squad plus Colwill, Mac and Moises I suspect we’d be top.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Mac Allister’s played as a 6 for Liverpool mainly. It’s no surprise his goal record isn’t as good as it was for us.

And White hasn’t had an England cap since leaving the WC - clearly he annoyed Southgate, who clearly has his favourites.
Side issues. I am keeping the small onion firmly in my pocket, and the thought of sobbing uncontrollably hasn't even begun to suggest itself as a possibility of flitting across what passes for my mind.

And while we are insisting on what-iffery, if we all supported Man City we would be treble winners! Hooray!

"Blue moon, la la la la la, dum de dum....."

:shootself

:wink:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Pathetic club, selling players and that. Barber OUT. Sack the board. Woe is me. We are doomed. If only we hadn't sold all those players. We are weak, weak. If only we could turn back the clock.

Oh.

1703968208203.png

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

The fact we're as good, or better, since all the mentioned kick ballers cashed in and ran, says everything we need to know.

we could buy loads and be chelsea , bang avarage in beige spades

we'll continue to be Brighton. Proud . . . Respectful, And finish . . .wherever. it'll be better, regardless. .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here