Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] How many midfielders are we actually seriously after?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
have we officially signed Milner yet? hes out of contract so i guess not subject to the transfer window?? Anyway why the F with all these talented youngsters do we want another aging player who will be lucky to get a dozen games out of..As much as i appreciate the effort Lallana played when he first joined us, we havent really missed him (or Trossard ) so given the choice i'd pass on Milner. I think end of season Buanetti (sp?) started to show promise and Enciso with goal of the season apparantly (!) might just be a good one.. For me focus needs to be on replacement for Colwill. Not sure we'll get another season out of Lamptey which is a shame.
I'm also hoping Webster rebuilds his confidence during close season as he was a bit of a liability in the few games he played at the end of the season, and unlike others, he didnt have the tired legs excuse.
Are we tin pot or merely a bit shit? Relegation a certainty now, though. Innit.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
have we officially signed Milner yet? hes out of contract so i guess not subject to the transfer window?? Anyway why the F with all these talented youngsters do we want another aging player who will be lucky to get a dozen games out of..As much as i appreciate the effort Lallana played when he first joined us, we havent really missed him (or Trossard ) so given the choice i'd pass on Milner. I think end of season Buanetti (sp?) started to show promise and Enciso with goal of the season apparantly (!) might just be a good one.. For me focus needs to be on replacement for Colwill. Not sure we'll get another season out of Lamptey which is a shame.
I'm also hoping Webster rebuilds his confidence during close season as he was a bit of a liability in the few games he played at the end of the season, and unlike others, he didnt have the tired legs excuse.
Milner played in 43 games for Liverpool last season, his fitness is unlikely to be a problem next season for us. Webster has always looked a bit rusty when coming back into the side after an injury, but we do need a few players in defensive positions.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Most of it is clearly clickbait- we are a big draw now that out recruitment is so lauded. Possibly agent stuff too.
I do think we will want at least one CM who comes in as a first team squad member.
Lots of people point to Moder or the players on loan filling the gap, but none of those players have kicked a ball under RDZ.
We should also (hopefully) be playing a lot more games next season.
Neither have any of the midfielders we might yet but.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I suspect we'll sign 3 - with 1 of those being a sign-and-immediately-loan-out player for the future.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Re Villa. Don't think it's disingenuous to say Emery has done an amazing job there. Yes they've spent big and Gerrard under-perfomed, but it can be hard to make a real difference coming into a team at any point In the season. Both RDZ AND Emery should be praised for that.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Re Villa. Don't think it's disingenuous to say Emery has done an amazing job there. Yes they've spent big and Gerrard under-perfomed, but it can be hard to make a real difference coming into a team at any point In the season. Both RDZ AND Emery should be praised for that.
Only slight difference was we were 2nd and Villa were just above the bottom 3 I guess

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Depends what RDZ thinks of Moder, Alzate, Kozlowski.
On this i'm going to predict

Moder - We can't tell because he's still injured through the Autumn. Replacement needed
Alzate - Sold, to huge disappointment from the many on here who enjoy watching him
Kozlowski - Loaned for one more season.

I think we'll get two new midfielders

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Only slight difference was we were 2nd and Villa were just above the bottom 3 I guess

We were 4th when RDZ took over, with 13 points after 6 games.

Villa were 13th when Emery came in, with 15 points from 14 games. Interestingly, we were level on points with Chelsea at this stage (21 after 13 games).

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
Yep. Definitely. I was speaking to a Villa fan after their horror show at our place and he was a bit sheepish about their skullduggery but, his argument at the time was that they genuinely needed the points by any means possible as, as at that point, just before the world cup, they were worried about going down. To go from there to Europe in a few months is nothing short of miraculous.

Also shows how cack Gerrard was.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Villa aren't as massive as Massive or Champions of Europe like Leeds but they are clearly a very successful side with a rags to riches story which has culminated in European qualification alongside Real Madrid, PSG and Manchester City.
Yes, but they haven't qualified for the Europa League.

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
I think just one, assuming we don't sell Caicedo.

We've already signed 3 midfielders by all accounts. Milner as utility, Pedro as AM and Dahoud as McAllisters replacement.

When you add Moder and Alzate returning, and Gilmour, Gross and Ayari already here, I don't see a place for any more midfielders unless we upgrade or loan out any of them.

We can only put 11 players on the pitch, so it's pointless having back ups for back ups when we have so many versatile players and a decent youth team.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
What does Naylor say about it in the Athletic today ?

Fabrizio reckons we'll recruit a few.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here