Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How many layers are required for the perfect lasagne?

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Divide your bechamel sauce into 4 and put a different cheese in each batch.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
Oops, eye test required. I read the post as " How many players" .

Yoda

English & European
4 layers minimum, but the bolognese sauce mixed with the bechamel sauce, not separate, thinly layered over the sheets of lasagne.

Also, cook the lasagne for 60 seconds in boiling water first and plunge into cold water before building your dish.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
6? So...

Cheesey sauce
Pasta
Filling
Pasta
Filling
Pasta
Filling
Pasta
Filling
Pasta
Filling
Pasta
Filling

Filling, pasta, bechemel, pasta, filling, pasta, bechemel and so on. Top layer with a vast amount of parmesan.

Thinking about it again that is quite a lot of pasta. I may need to reconsider this!

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I always do (from top to bottom)

Grated cheese
Bechemel Sauce
Pasta
Meat
Bechemel Sauce
Pasta
Meat

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Four layers. Occasionally with a layer of fresh spinach too.

Alternating layers of pasta with homemade Bolognese style ragu and béchamel sauces, topped off with a mix of sliced mozzarella, grated cheddar and parmesan.

I agree it also keeps well and when reheated the pasta takes on a stronger flavour (ideal for a late night snack after an evening away game).

Great with a simple green salad and bottle of red.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I think 4 is about right - the right density of pasta and the filling of your choice.

(Just to be clear: filling+pasta = 1 layer not 2)

What's the magic number for you?

I won't set a poll as I don't want to put confines around the responses that may be returned.

At last, a sensibe thread on NSC.

It's difficult. Depends what you call a layer. If you take meat/pasta/sauce as one layer, I would say 2 at minimuma, but it depends how deep your dish is. You want a good pasta meat ratio. I start with a meat layer on the botton, but I have seen a pasta bottom, but that doesn't seem right to me. You do need a good ragu, tough, I would cook mine for a good 3 hours ir more, and make sure it's not too wet. I'm not supposed to eat tomato, so I limit how much I use.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Cheese
Bechamel
Pasta
Meat
Pasta
Pasta
Bechamel
Meat
Pasta
Meat
Pasta
Bechamel
Meat

And not too much meat in the meat if you get my drift.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Cheese
Bechamel
Pasta
Meat
Pasta
Pasta

Bechamel
Meat
Pasta
Meat
Pasta
Bechamel
Meat

And not too much meat in the meat if you get my drift.

Controversial PASTA - PASTA option there! and I am never sure about Bechamel in the lower layers... seems rather unnecessary and makes it all a bit sloppy.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Controversial PASTA - PASTA option there! and I am never sure about Bechamel in the lower layers... seems rather unnecessary and makes it all a bit sloppy.

:lol: That's not a typo - you need a bit where there are two pasta layers together. All adds to the texture of the whole thing.

I agree though that the lower bechamel layer is an unneseccary flourish, so happy to remove that. The rest is my FINAL ANSWER though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here