Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How many do we really need for promotion?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Calm down. Time will tell. I have no faith in either of our back-up keepers. It's no good saying we have to keep them as they are under contract, if they cost us points then they are a liability.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Calm down. Time will tell. I have no faith in either of our back-up keepers. It's no good saying we have to keep them as they are under contract, if they cost us points then they are a liability.

And which good' goalkeeper should be sign to sit on the bench then?

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
On the subject of keepers. Ankergren is ok as cover if needed, but I would prefer a stronger number 2. As for Brezovan, I dread the thought of losiing our first choice on the eve of a big game and Brezovan stepping in. He is an ok bread and butter keeper but always has a shocker in the bigger games. Where as Ankergren seems to up his game (ok I remember the two points he cost us last season, still rather have Casper over Brezovan every day of the week). Brezovan should be released from his contract if someone was prepared to take him.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
IMO we need

2 x LB - Shorey and a decent youngster
CB - Upson or someone similarly experienced
DM - I'd be happy with Hammond
CM - We cannot go into the season minus Dave and Vincente without replacing at least one of them. Crofts has it all to do and I'm not sure JFC is going to make it.
Another winger - if we are going to play 4-3-3 we need another option out wide.

So that's Six in, probably going to be difficult on the budget, but if we want promotion I think we are going to need options over a 46 game season.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Just can't see us challenging this season. Can see mid table. Division's so strong and we've made a hash of things. My opinion.

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
What nobody has mentioned & who I believe will have the biggest impact for us this season is our new manager.

Whatever people think about poyet one thing that cannot be disputed is how he got the most out of his players.

The likes of

El abd
Bridcutt
Greer
Calderon
Barnes

He turned bottom half league 1 players into top 4 championship players because they bought in to what he was doing.

Will Oscar have the same impact on his players.

Father Jack

Aug 21, 2005
So, for me we have lost Hammond, Upson, Bridge, Painter, Dicker, Lopez and Vicente. I agree that Vicente, Dicker and Painter contributed little and Maksimenko, JFC and March are young, exciting and cheap with FFP.
Shorey will replace Bridge and Crofts will fill Hammonds role. My opinion is that Oscar has his own players in mind hence the stalling over Upson and Spanish Dave. There is also the argument that Dobbie needs replacing CMS is touch and go for the start of the season as is Hoskins, I would like to see a loan forward come in to fill that void. To summarise then we need, a centre back, a left back, an attacking midfielder and a loan forward.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Goalkeeping is the one area where we are well served and we need no additions. Apart from the three senior keepers did we not also sign for a £100k fee, a very good prospect from the West Country?

One can tinker all around a team but it seems to me that we need a creative midfielder who can split a defence and create chances on a regular basis. Not easy to find, but vital if we are to challenge at the top end of the table.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Just can't see us challenging this season. Can see mid table. Division's so strong and we've made a hash of things. My opinion.

Think that you're overly pessimistic. We've only lost Bridge (so far) from last year and will replace him.

The division is no stronger this year than last: QPR, Reading and Wigan finished bottom 3 for the same reasons as Bolton, Blackburn and Wolves.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Five players short.

Left back, centre back, two midfielders (box to box being one), and a striker.

Loan out agdestein, and the young Latvian and sell Harley.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Ankergren cost us exactly the same amount of points as Kuszczak.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I personally think we had the squad to go up last season, but that's history now. So we have lost Vicente, Dicker and Painter, none of whom really contributed anything of note last season. Upson and Bridge however were key first team players and leave two voids that need filling. I believe Crofts, Dunk and JFC will be like three new signings, for whatever reasons none of them really added anything last season and I think they all have quality to offer. Lopez has stated his desire to return, but if OG doesn't fancy him that's fair enough by me.

So Dunk can fill the void left by Upson(although I would like to see Upson return, experience cannot be underestimated)
Crofts and JFC feel like having two more in Midfield (youth and experience).

So for me, we need a left back and I would like to see another striker come in.

I think we can look forward to a real tilt at promotion. All that said, we will probably go out and sign half a dozen players now. But i'm not worried at all about the lack of players coming in, as I already think the squad is pretty solid.

How come no mention of Dean Hammond?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Think that you're overly pessimistic. We've only lost Bridge (so far) from last year and will replace him.

The division is no stronger this year than last: QPR, Reading and Wigan finished bottom 3 for the same reasons as Bolton, Blackburn and Wolves.

Hope I am! I just feel we're a fair few weeks behind everyone else with the whole manager etc issues. Somethnig tells me we're going to be a bit of a rush job. Again, I hope i'm well, well wrong on this!

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
I personally think we had the squad to go up last season, but that's history now. So we have lost Vicente, Dicker and Painter, none of whom really contributed anything of note last season. Upson and Bridge however were key first team players and leave two voids that need filling. I believe Crofts, Dunk and JFC will be like three new signings, for whatever reasons none of them really added anything last season and I think they all have quality to offer. Lopez has stated his desire to return, but if OG doesn't fancy him that's fair enough by me.

So Dunk can fill the void left by Upson(although I would like to see Upson return, experience cannot be underestimated)
Crofts and JFC feel like having two more in Midfield (youth and experience).

So for me, we need a left back and I would like to see another striker come in.

I think we can look forward to a real tilt at promotion. All that said, we will probably go out and sign half a dozen players now. But i'm not worried at all about the lack of players coming in, as I already think the squad is pretty solid.

Upson
x2 left backs
x1 attacking mid
x1 forward

Not sure where to start in terms of names. Im not convinced Nicky Shorey is the answer.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
CB - Upson ?
LB
Defensive midfield
Creative midfield box to box
Winger
Striker
(possible utility LB/RB)

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I think we need more.

We are 7 down on last year, but we can probably treat Maximenko, JFC and March as adequate compensation for losing Dicker and Painter.

That means 5 in for me.

Spanish Dave
A left back
A centre back - I think we need 4.
Another midfielder.
A striker.

Interestingly we waited until the end of the transfer window for 4 signings last year.

With the fantastic signing of Upson, I think we now need 4.

1 Left back
2 Midfielders ( maybe 1 of these is Spanish Dave )
1 Striker

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here