Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] How long will Brexit continue to dominate British Politics ?

How long will Brexit dominate British Politics

• 2 weeks (as per Swinson)

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • 6 months 2 weeks (as per Corbyn)

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • 13 months (as per Johnson)

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • 3 years

Votes: 12 10.6%
  • 5 years

Votes: 14 12.4%
  • 10 years

Votes: 23 20.4%
  • 20 years

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • 50 years (as per JRM)

Votes: 23 20.4%

• Total voters

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
There's a lot of truth in that, I literally only hear it here.

And I know/meet lots of folk including businessmen, also people who voted on either side at the time.

Imho that's due to the overwhelming majority just getting on with their lives or with tunnel vision for boozing/buying huge volumes of fireworks for their worshipped 19 year old's b'day party. I really think that most Brits have next to no interest in Ukraine, Uyghurs, etc.

But still getting very angry about the cost of living, mortgages, cost of Care homes, rent costs, inflation, NHS waiting lists, increases in immigration, trying to find staff etc, etc :wink:

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
There is.

There are those that remain gaslit

I've noticed a weird overlap between anti-establishment, conspiracy-theory-Joe Rogan types and Brexiteers. Quite easy to undermine cold hard facts with terms like "gaslighting", but like most Brexit-"Benefits" it doesn't stand any scrutiny.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
But still getting very angry about the cost of living, mortgages, cost of Care homes, rent costs, inflation, NHS waiting lists, increases in immigration, trying to find staff etc, etc :wink:

Am I wrong, in that I think many highly vocal nsc'ers (probably twitter and facebook people too) talk about all these things ... but a silent majority just want to get on with their time on this rock? I can think straight off the top of my head ... extended family, neighbours, friends, clients .... if I mentioned Uyghurs, or mortgage rates, or Ukraine, or groceries, that they'd subtly change the subject within a minute to "What are your plans for the weekend?" or similar.

That's my observation.

Tonight pubs and restaurants will be packed with laughing punters, in Valley Drive couples will be taking delivery of huge volumes of liquor and fireworks to celebrate Fran's 52nd birthday. Fun people only invited.

It's a varied and funny old world.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Am I wrong, in that I think many highly vocal nsc'ers (probably twitter and facebook people too) talk about all these things ... but a silent majority just want to get on with their time on this rock? I can think straight off the top of my head ... extended family, neighbours, friends, clients .... if I mentioned Uyghurs, or mortgage rates, or Ukraine, or groceries, that they'd subtly change the subject within a minute to "What are your plans for the weekend?" or similar.

That's my observation.

Tonight pubs and restaurants will be packed with laughing punters, in Valley Drive couples will be taking delivery of huge volumes of liquor and fireworks to celebrate Fran's 52nd birthday. Fun people only invited.

It's a varied and funny old world.

Quite possibly. I think because my social circle includes people who are closely involved, I probably hear more of it than most. It is indeed a varied and funny old world, often completely unintentionally.

Have a great time and make sure those fireworks are all done by 8.30. As I'm sure you know I like to be tucked up early on a Friday night, Bah Humbug :wink:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Quite possibly. I think because my social circle includes people who are closely involved, I probably hear more of it than most. It is indeed a varied and funny old world, often completely unintentionally.

Have a great time and make sure those fireworks are all done by 8.30. As I'm sure you know I like to be tucked up early on a Friday night, Bah Humbug :wink:

I'm not invited, instead a quiet family meal out for a special occasion.

taz

Feb 18, 2015
An olive branch from Germany but much as this is hugely welcome, I cant help but feel that waiting until after the election when we might have some politicians that are intelligent enough to engage constructively might be in our country’s best interests. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/
‘Brexit’ will continue to dominate British politics until the impacts of it have stopped damaging peoples lives and the environment (IMpoliticalO!)
No it doesn't dominate anything it's just the upsurge in remoaners panic every time good brexit news is about to be announced, India trade deal announced in two weeks something else to cry about and try and dismiss 😭

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
No it doesn't dominate anything it's just the upsurge in remoaners panic every time good brexit news is about to be announced, India trade deal announced in two weeks something else to cry about and try and dismiss 😭
Given the trade deal with Australia has shafted our farmers, which industry are you looking forward to seeing shafted this time? Or do you not actually care about the details as long as we sign something?

Reactions: abc

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

That would be this one ?

A UK trade deal with India was promised by last October. Why is it still not ready?​

“India negotiates as if it is a country with one billion people, which it is,” said Lowe. “In the UK discourse, it is the big UK negotiating with little India. But India is on course to be one of the biggest economies in the world – we are talking about a country that is huge and doesn’t feel the need to cut a deal.” Many of those watching the process say Britain has repeatedly misjudged its negotiating power.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...sed-by-last-october-why-is-it-still-not-ready

Rishi Sunak rules out quick-fix trade deal with India​

The decision has scuppered any chance of an agreement being struck this week, before the prime minister meets his Indian counterpart, Narendra Modi, in the Indian capital this weekend. Many now believe a deal is impossible before both countries hold elections in 2024, although some in government still believe it could be reached later this year.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...nak-rules-out-quick-fix-trade-deal-with-india

Another cracking deal being announced in 2 weeks time ? :facepalm:

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
That would be this one ?

A UK trade deal with India was promised by last October. Why is it still not ready?​

“India negotiates as if it is a country with one billion people, which it is,” said Lowe. “In the UK discourse, it is the big UK negotiating with little India. But India is on course to be one of the biggest economies in the world – we are talking about a country that is huge and doesn’t feel the need to cut a deal.” Many of those watching the process say Britain has repeatedly misjudged its negotiating power.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...sed-by-last-october-why-is-it-still-not-ready

Rishi Sunak rules out quick-fix trade deal with India​

The decision has scuppered any chance of an agreement being struck this week, before the prime minister meets his Indian counterpart, Narendra Modi, in the Indian capital this weekend. Many now believe a deal is impossible before both countries hold elections in 2024, although some in government still believe it could be reached later this year.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...nak-rules-out-quick-fix-trade-deal-with-india

Another cracking deal being announced in 2 weeks time ? :facepalm:
In the same article:

"If British ministers thought Brexit was the main impediment to signing trade deals with fast-growing developing countries, they have been thoroughly disabused."

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Little wonder the intellectual pygmies continue to bark up the Brexit tree for all the county’s ills, and not least inflation. The lack of economic context on such a critical issue is astounding.

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...itative-easing-scheme-let-inflation-take-root

Little wonder the BoE (and Mark Carney) would rather blame Brexit.

abc

Jan 6, 2007

please give me examples of ‘good brexit news’. Genuinely interested

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Little wonder the intellectual pygmies continue to bark up the Brexit tree for all the county’s ills, and not least inflation. The lack of economic context on such a critical issue is astounding.

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...itative-easing-scheme-let-inflation-take-root

Little wonder the BoE (and Mark Carney) would rather blame Brexit.

I’m not an expert on these things. Out of interest, why did a whole host of other countries face horrendous inflation too, if (obviously) Brexit wasn’t the cause?

IMG_0799.png

My guess would be causes beyond the control of all - Putin, opportunistic OPEC+ cartel, post pandemic supply chain issues.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
please give me examples of ‘good brexit news’. Genuinely interested
It must be the oven ready India deal, 7.33 years after the Brexit vote, and now only two weeks to go until its announcement.

You know, the deal in which the UK is reluctant to exceed the annual 100,000 work visas awarded to Indians, but which India is pushing back on.
This must be the 'good Brexit news' being referred to.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Can you give me the details of the India trade deal?

Genuine question. What are the terms of the deal? What are the predicted impacts? How will it affect trade between the two nations? Pro’s and con’s etc.

What is your take on it?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Deluded or what.
If there is an India trade deal to be announced, I will be delighted if it’s wonderful - not panicking at all!!!
I very much doubt whether it will be, though.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I’m not an expert on these things. Out of interest, why did a whole host of other countries face horrendous inflation too, if (obviously) Brexit wasn’t the cause?

View attachment 168104

My guess would be causes beyond the control of all - Putin, opportunistic OPEC+ cartel, post pandemic supply chain issues.

Interesting selection of countries on your comparison chart. The obvious outlier, Poland was hit hard by the Ukraine war due to it's border with Ukraine and the 15.5 million refugees that crossed the border into Poland.

But as highlighted by my good friend a couple of posts above yours, surely only an intellectual pygmy would interpret any of my posts as claiming Brexit was solely responsible for inflation :dunce:

However if you look at inflation between comparable countries

inflation .jpg

We do seem to be suffering more than others. As someone once said “There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.” :wink:

Last edited:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

View attachment 168104

Putin invasion of Ukraine and the pandemic both relate to OPEC pushing oil prices upwards, and inflation, yes, and the rate has varied with each countries ability to deal with that, and it's economic policies.

In 2016 there was a referendum, and also a Government exercise to see if we were prepared for a Pandemic. The Referendum result called for a massive change, the Pandemic exercise called for a vast improvement.
Without a Leave result, I suspect more would have been done to address the failings uncovered by the exercise.
I suspect we would have had a more competent set of ministers in Government.
I suspect we would have been stronger economically.

Putin probably would have escalated his invasion of Ukraine with or without Brexit, but he certainly put efforts into making it happen.

Wokeworrier

Aug 7, 2021
West sussex/travelling
Interesting selection of countries on your comparison chart. The obvious outlier, Poland was hit hard by the Ukraine war due to it's border with Ukraine and the 15.5 million refugees that crossed the border into Poland.

But as highlighted by my good friend a couple of posts above yours, surely only an intellectual pygmy would interpret any of my posts as claiming Brexit was solely responsible for inflation :dunce:

However if you look at inflation between comparable countries

View attachment 168122

We do seem to be suffering more than others. As someone once said “There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.” :wink:

Intellectual pygmy claims inflation and all our other ills were solely caused by leaving the EU ...

There is an absolute avalanche of evidence hitting from every direction :dunce:

And under two years ago, we actually left the protection of the EU and now have raging inflation, a recession, a cost of living crisis, staff shortages across NHS, Care, hospitality, agriculture, logistics etc, no solution to Northern Ireland, no Import processes in place, exactly as predicted would happen once we had actually left the single market and weren't operating under EU regulations.

:wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here