Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How long until we can vote the Greens OUT?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I assume this is their evil doing:
£6 million travel scheme unveiled for central Brighton From The Argus)

At a time when bus prices are going through the roof, they're trying to make people turn away from driving and to using buses! How about providing a subsidy to the ridiculous prices or provide alternative bus services so it's not a monopoly. Absolute joke, when can we vote them out?

I thought they'd be really great for the city, alas not how it has turned out in my opinion.

Now it seems like they have been in forever, and I can't wait to vote them OUT on my ballot paper.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
If the £60 monthly ticket quoted is correct, that's pretty good value.

What isn't good value is, as others have said, the price of a single/return ticket. £4.40 for a bus to and from town is extortionate (from Patcham), and it is cheaper, and easier for me to drive and park in town. Compare that to Sheffield, where I pay 80p for a single.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Why can't they do anything? Are you saying they have no power? Tell B&H buses they can't use the bus lanes until they lower their prices. Tax them. I'm sure the council could find a way if they wanted to. That should make the managers of B&H less comfortable taking over £5m profit per year.
If B&H Buses didn't make a profit they wouldn't invest around £4M a year in brand new buses to replace older vehicles in the fleet.

What an excellent scheme!

Before the City Council ever came into existence and East Sussex County Council was the transport authority for Brighton, and I was a public transport planner for ESCC, I remember having a conversation with Steve Bassam (then the Labour leader of Brighton Borough Council) about the practicalities of introducing bus lanes along Edward Street and Eastern Road. He was dead keen. The biggest problem was getting the funding package together.

This now seems to have been overcome, thanks to the Coalition Government and Norman Baker, Minister for Local Transport.

So ... it's not so much a Green idea, but an idea that started with Labour and now has the backing of a Conservative government, a Lib-Dem minister and a Green-led council.

Why did the old Brighton Blue buses stop running many years ago. I am fairly sure that they offered competition to the then Southdown company buses.
They were privatised by the Thatcher government and sold off to their management and staff, who subsequently cashed in, by selling off the company to Brighton & Hove Buses.

Southdown were also sold off (in several chunks) to their managers. All parts of the Southdown family then cashed in, by selling on either to Stagecoach or to the Go Ahead Group.

And the other thing about Brighton's blue buses before privatisation ... it was NOTHING to do with competition. The Council owned the blue bus company, Southdown and Brighton, Hove & District were nationalised companies. The three companies shared the network with each other, agreed all the routes and timetables. And the fares from all three companies were pooled together and divvied out in accordance with an agreed formula. Fares were also agreed between the three companies, which effectively meant that Brighton Council set them - because councillors had to vote to agree what fares should be charged on every service in the area (including Hove and Shoreham, incidentally).

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I assume this is their evil doing:
£6 million travel scheme unveiled for central Brighton From The Argus)

At a time when bus prices are going through the roof, they're trying to make people turn away from driving and to using buses! How about providing a subsidy to the ridiculous prices or provide alternative bus services so it's not a monopoly. Absolute joke, when can we vote them out?

Hopefully they won't be voted out before they've finished reclaiming the town from speeding twattish private motorists and made it a nicer town to stroll around. That's the future.

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
Hopefully they won't be voted out before they've finished reclaiming the town from speeding twattish private motorists and made it a nicer town to stroll around. That's the future.

What about abusive cyclists who run reds, abuse pedestrians even when the green man is showing as they don't want to slow down? Works both ways?

Even the buses are mental at rush hour if the driver is pissed off

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
The Big Lemon stinks. Not sure what of though...

If the £60 monthly ticket quoted is correct, that's pretty good value.

What isn't good value is, as others have said, the price of a single/return ticket. £4.40 for a bus to and from town is extortionate (from Patcham), and it is cheaper, and easier for me to drive and park in town. Compare that to Sheffield, where I pay 80p for a single.

£3.50 one day ticket on your mobile is world class value.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
What about abusive cyclists who run reds, abuse pedestrians even when the green man is showing as they don't want to slow down? Works both ways?

Not a big fan of cyclists doing that stuff, but can't really blame them for taking their chances v pedestrians against taking their chances v cars. If I was a cyclist I know which I'd choose if I wanted to stand the best chance of returning home in one piece of an evening. The way forward seems to me to make the roads safe for pedestrians and cyclists, and the cars can be diverted somewhere where they can do less damage. Disagree? OK, explain why our pride and joy, our seafront, is a roaring dual carriageway? What's that all about?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
The Big Lemon stinks. Not sure what of though...

£3.50 one day ticket on your mobile is world class value.

How many people does that benefit? Edging towards decent value for those that travel more than two journeys, but how many people do that?

As an aside, how often does the number 7 George Street want to run? Frequently there are two stopped outside Brighton station most evenings.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Big Lemon still run a service along Lewes Road, specifically for Brighton University students (who were the main users of the earlier service that they ran).

Were the main users of the old Big Lemon service not Sussex University students, rather than Brighton University students? That was my experience. I'll admit that's being pedantic but as a Sussex alumni I don't want to be lumped in with the lot from Brighton.

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
The only way to cut traffic in the city but not reduce the footfall is to have major park and ride schemes on all the main entry routes. None of the political parties will look at this for some reason, probably because they only look short-term to the next election rather than have a future vision for the city.

The current policy of "Oh look - there is a bit of dual carriageway, let's block half of it up to motorists" is just gesture politics which will achieve nothing but rising air pollution and a decrease in visitor numbers to the city. There isn't a problem on Edward Street, don't create one.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Big Lemon still run a service along Lewes Road, specifically for Brighton University students (who were the main users of the earlier service that they ran).

So it's not a public service as per the old 25 but a private service for uni students only?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here